Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2002 7:55:09 PM EDT
This came to me as an heir from my Great Uncle who was responsible for getting me into shooting. All I know about the gun is that he got it from his grandfather in the 1930s. I have fond memories of my childhood with him and his muzzle loaders. I didn't get the Hawken rifle but he had this one especially picked out for me and even named it in his will as the only firearm to be given to a specific heir.

There are no visible stampings, serials, metalworking marks, or anything on the gun. It is .62 cal and I have only fired it one time as a kid.

Anyone black powder or recreationst guys recognize this? It rings Civil War era but I have no idea.

EDITED TO ADD: The length of the gun is 14" or so.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#1]
darn server rollover at midnight.... should have waited for a few minutes before posting this...
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:18:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Look around here www.oldguns.net/, I found my grandfather's 70 year old pistol there.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:55:11 PM EDT
[#3]
thx. I found some stuff on another site about flint locks but no dice. The ones I saw all have a metal butt cap of some sort.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:42:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I picked up in a trade several years ago a pistol that looks almost identical to yours.

Except mine is percussion rather than flint lock. Also mine has plain hard wood rather than the nice stuff yours appears to have.

And the biggest exception, mine is a kit gun.

That said, maybe try looking at some of the kit gun makers and see if what they offer is a reprodution of what you have.

It's worth a shot. [shrug]

As I look at the picture again I'm amazed at how close mine looks to yours. Just not as pretty.

p.s. I have no idea who made the kit my pistol is from.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:19:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top