Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2002 6:28:32 PM EDT

I'm thinking of picking up an H&K SL8. They're no longer importing them, yadda yadda yadda. I hear they're pretty good shooters...

But, I don't think they'll have too too much collectors value (except maybe as an h&k oddity..) further on down the line. Obviously, drawbacks are it's limited to a 10 round mag, and, well...only it's mother would call it beautiful.

Would picking up an SL8 be a good buy? Note, I wouldn't be buying it strictly as a collectors piece, but also as a shooter..(I'm more into collecting certain weapons, and shooting others )
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Stoped importing them?! When did that happen? Why?
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Evil_Ed, you can buy adapters so it will take AR mags.

Armed_Scientist, Just recently.

Link Posted: 12/27/2002 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I'de buy one.  You can mod them up to look like the G-36 and as far as I can tell, they are very accurate.  They run MUCH cleaner than an AR-15, so that is a plus.  Oh, and there is the fact that they are not being imported anymore.  
I would buy one but I'm only 16 and I can't afford the $1100 for one.
-Marksman
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 7:08:59 PM EDT
[#4]
ar10er, yah, I've seen the mods done...are they reverseable? I.e. if I decide I no longer want the AR modification on the rifle, can I bring it back to it's original unaltered configuration? Or is it a permanent alteration?
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Evil_Ed it is reversible.

Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Evil_Ed it is reversible.

One side of the receiver requires milling a portion off...
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:19:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Nothing a little silver solder will not fix.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Silver solder plastic, now that's a new one!
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:49:35 PM EDT
[#9]
It was a joke!
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
ar10er, yah, I've seen the mods done...are they reversible? I.e. if I decide I no longer want the AR modification on the rifle, can I bring it back to it's original unaltered configuration? Or is it a permanent alteration?

The mag well modification is not reversible nor does it work very well.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok, here is the conversion I was talking about. www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976296211.htm
I should have posted this to start off, my bad!

Edited to add, this is reversible. But that should be obvious.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 9:50:59 PM EDT
[#12]
If HK has really stopped importing them, it is a real good chance that it will become a collectors piece. Witness the P7M3, in 380ACP, 32ACP, & 22LR. Even though a lot of people complained about the SL8, it is as close to a G36 as you can get without joining the German Army. HK probably went thru a lot of trouble to bring a civil version of their G36 to the USA, with a lot of the logicless rules of the BATF.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#13]
warlord, yah..hence why I'm not trying to talk myself out of it too hard.

Not sure I'd want to modify it, though; was thinking of leaving it in it's original condition (well, and putting on the G36 optics...)
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#14]
You might try going to the HK-Pro discussion forum and ask the same questions.  Last time I was there though, there were some SL-8 owners complaining of cracked receivers around the magazine well.  Although it is an interesting rifle, I still don't fully understand what role the SL-8 was meant to play.  Is it a target rifle?.... hmmm, there are more accurate .223's out there.  Battle rifle?.... hmmmm, with a thumbhole stock?  Tactical rifle?.... hmmm, too big and akward.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:22:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Keep in mind that if you do the mag conversion it voids the HK factory warranty.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:24:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Scuttlebutt (take it for what it is worth)...distributors were told to place their last order for SL8's.  After these orders are filled, no more SL8's. HK is also down sizing their pistol line-up in the upcoming year.  I think less variations of the USP line.  I believe most of the bugs have been worked out of AR15 mag conversion and the G36 stock conversion.  My expectations for these products was probably too high.   I believe they function with a little tweaking (I have no first hand knowledge).  I had two SL8's.  I just sold the used one.  They are a accurate rifle out of the box and fun to shoot (what gun isn't).  The thumbhole stock kind of grew on me.  The color is still not great.  I have also had a scope rail made for the SL8 so that I can mount other scopes.  The HK scope handle and dual optic are limitted in their range.  Good glass but I think a regular optic will show off the capability of the SL8.  It is a target gun built with a G36 system.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 9:02:06 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
warlord, yah..hence why I'm not trying to talk myself out of it too hard.

Not sure I'd want to modify it, though; was thinking of leaving it in it's original condition (well, and putting on the G36 optics...)

Personally for me, IF I were buy the SL8, I would just leave it stock, because if it does become a collectors, changing the magwell to accept AR mags would be just too much for many die-hard HKers, and there are a lots of those folks out there. I'm just telling from the collector's point of view.  Hey why not, if someone is welling to pay you big bucks, I'm not particularly personally attached to any of my hardware.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#18]
EVIL ED,

Beleave it or not all three of these guns are SL8's,

top is out of the box

middle one has been dyed, hi-cap mag convs. installed, with barrel convs.

bottom one, the works,:stock convs, with a k barrel and a G36 mag well, so HK G36 mags can be used.

"i love them"

Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Like all HKs the SL8 is over priced. Its very accurate but so is an AR15 for $400 less. They won't be imported because they don't sell.

If you like that design save a lot of money and get an AR180, thats what the action is based on. Just like that piece of shit british bullpup, that's why HK was contracted to work out the bugs, their AR 18 clone, the g36 works fine.

All the star wars appearance shit aside, this is nothing but an updated and overpriced version of an outstanding Armalite design
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I have one and like it but don't get the conversion if you want to be able to keep it for collectors value. Also don't die it black for the same reason.

You can convert it back. You need the bolt and the Mag Well. What you will have is a piece missing where it was cut out. So the mag fits past the cut out and you can always get a piece of plastic shape it and epoxy or super glue it back in.

I am trying to get the Mags and the Mag well from where I bought it so I can use it both ways. I am having problems with the conversion. I called up Special Weapons and explained my problem. He explained what was wrong told me how to fix it if I want to dremil it. Or send it in to him and he uses a CNC mill to cut the inside to have the AR mags fit without being twisted.

I really like it but I think it should stay the way it was made. It stays very clean is very accurate and I happen to like it in gray. The recoil is very easy o handle. I only wish they made it in a .308 also.
The sight system is no where near an AR15, but it can be fixed with a little work
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:45:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Hey Evil Ed, not sure where you are in NY, but I was in a shop last week with 2 SL8s on the rack, a new one for $1600 and a used one for $1000. Near Rochester, NY.

I have shot one recently, and was less than overwhelmed with it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:51:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Yah, there's a place not far from where I am (Davis Sport Shop, in Rockland County, right at the joisey border) that has one on display, it's been there for ages...they're askin $1300 for it.

Thanks for all the input, guys...this helps tremendously.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top