Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/8/2001 9:14:45 AM EDT
area to recieve gun from out of state purchase. Please no Stevenson,B&B and Retting, they all  charge too much and a couple of them will actually charge you sales tax based on the price of the gun.

Also heard of the Firing Line Range in Burbank, want to hear from anyone who used them.

TIA,

ASR

Link Posted: 11/8/2001 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
area to recieve gun from out of state purchase. Please no Stevenson,B&B and Redding, they all  charge too much and a couple of them will actually charge you sales tax based on the price of the gun.

Also heard of the Firing Line Range in Burbank, want to hear from anyone who used them.

TIA,

I had the same problem in the same area.  Hands down go with Red Star military across the street from Redding.  They are/were the cheapest @ $25 bucks for the transaction. Ask for the owner sandy brown hair glasses can't remember his name, might be Glen.  They WERE the cheapest.  The stuff they sell is outrageous, but the transaction fee is the lowest.  Good Luck! :)
Kentlik

Link Posted: 11/8/2001 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#2]
STAY AWAY from Military Historical Arms and Antiques in Glendale Ca. They puff shwag. Ripoff dealer and 50+trans fee.
The cheapest I know of is Entreprise Arms in Irwindale.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 9:33:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Ditto what Rich said..Lawrence is a pretty good guy.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 9:35:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Pony Express in North Hills (off Roscoe, W. of Budweiser by the airport), if they're still open.  $35 for transfer, $15 for D.R.O.S.(been a while since I've been there).  HTH

SamK
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 10:54:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Try Mike at Crown City Pawn Shop in Pasadena, (626) 793-5404.  Their transfer fee is $20.00; I've done a handful of transactions with them, both selling and buying, and Mike is a good guy.  No gun shop attitude there at all.

By the way, the practice of charging sales tax on a private party transfer based on the price of the gun appears to be illegal:

"SALES AND USE TAX ANNOTATIONS
California Board Of Equalization

295.1675.600 Service Charge for Sale of Firearms. Since the change in the law requiring private parties to sell firearms only through licensed dealers, a company asks whether the fee it charges to file the required state paperwork to the Department of Justice is subject to tax.

Whether the company is liable for sales tax on the transaction depends upon
whether the company is the retailer of the firearms. If an owner of a firearm and a purchaser have negotiated the terms of the sale in advance and then bring the firearm to the company to meet the statutory requirements of the Penal Code, the company is not the retailer of the gun and does not owe tax on the fee or any other charges for the firearm. If, however, an owner of a firearm brings the gun to the company and requests the company to find a buyer, the company is the consignee and the retailer of the firearm, and is liable for sales tax on the sale. In that case, the company must include all fees and charges in the measure of tax. 1/9/92;
2/20/92. (Am. 99–2).

(Note: On and after January 1, 1999, the Department of Justice fee is not
includible in the measure of tax, but all other charges remain subject to tax.)"
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 12:49:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks you all.

Eje,

Good info. regarding the sales tax but a couple of those FFL dealers I mentioned above will stick w/ their policy and will not do the transfer unless you do it by their rules. Their explanation is that it will go thru their books so they need to charge you sales tax.

FYI: Turners only do local private transfers, no out of states transfers. Don't know about Big 5s, heard that they do transfers but have not use them before.

ASR
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

My friend transferred a Sig P210-2 from out of state thru the Burbank Firing Line Range.  He didn't have any problems.  Call them up for their prices as my friend's transaction happened about 3 years ago.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 8:18:04 PM EDT
[#8]
ASR - check out Christian Doomanis of CD Firearms at (818) 781-6882, email [email protected]
He's in Burbank and charges $10 + DROS for transfer.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 10:45:40 PM EDT
[#9]
try here

Kings Gun Works Inc.
1837 W. Glenoaks Blvd.,
Glendale, CA., 91201  
Phone: 818-956-6010
Orders: 800-282-9449
Fax: 818-548-8606
E-mail: [email protected]
www.kingsgunworks.com

they are real nice people, got a nice shop and do EXCELLENT CUSTOM WORK. its the only place my family and friends take there guns for smithing.

but i dont know about there transfer policies, i beleive it would be around $25.

isnt it illegal to charge more than $25 for a transfer ?
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 6:31:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
try here

Kings Gun Works Inc.
1837 W. Glenoaks Blvd.,
Glendale, CA., 91201  
Phone: 818-956-6010
Orders: 800-282-9449
Fax: 818-548-8606
E-mail: [email protected]
www.kingsgunworks.com

they are real nice people, got a nice shop and do EXCELLENT CUSTOM WORK. its the only place my family and friends take there guns for smithing.

but i dont know about there transfer policies, i beleive it would be around $25.

isnt it illegal to charge more than $25 for a transfer ?

No, it is not illegal.  They run a business and can charge what the market will bear.  Many charge a percentage. Twenty five bones is about as good as I have found without connections.

Link Posted: 11/12/2001 1:42:30 AM EDT
[#11]
ASR, check your email. A good friend of mine is a FFL in Burbank.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:10:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
ASR, check your email. A good friend of mine is a FFL in Burbank.

Thanks, I got it and emailed him already.

ASR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top