Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2008 12:55:41 PM EDT
Ok, so I've decided I want to buy a chest rig but there are just so many options. To start I want something that has molle and I am willing to spend around $200, maybe even a little more. I will be using this for a carbine class, shooting matches, airsoft, and SHTF if that day should ever come. I just need it to hold rifle mags, pistol mages, and other various things. What would I be better off with, a simple chest rig, or a plate carrier of some sort. Also what color gear should I go for, I have woodland marpat camo right now. From what I understand black sticks out like a sore thumb, so would OD or ranger green be a better choice to go with? Does anyone have any pictures of these colors in combination with marpat?

Edit: I found this which seems to be a good deal but it only comes in black and I have heard that blackwater gear is made by Uncle Mikes, should I stear clear? www.skdtac.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1329
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 1:44:27 PM EDT
[#1]
WHY Modular vice Fixed pocket?

WHAT are your physical limitations?

Have you read ALL the pages of threads here and other forums?

I have no idea of what your AO is located thus I couldnt tell you what to get

BWG is made by Uncle mikes

know that some lessons can only be learned by the employment of $$$
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
some lessons can only be learned by the employment of $$$

I only seem to DEploy money on gear, not EMploy it!  

Link Posted: 5/29/2008 8:14:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one of these.  It kind of sounds like what you are describing.

www.eagleindustries.com/prd_detail.asp?ProdID=695&CatID=71&SubCatID=71

You may also want to check the "Chest Rig Quick Reference" in this section.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 8:55:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Just bought some Blackwater gear on clearence not impressed really.

Bought it as a car/bail out rig basicly.  I/O low profile 8 rifle 3 pistol pouches.  The weave system for the pouches lacks a final closure like a snap or button.  I use a plate carrier similar to what the OP suggested as a "Mule Rig" for lack of a better term.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 6:09:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Get a wasatch plate carrier It have integrated double rifle mag. pouches and  you can customize it wit wahtever MOLLE att, you want . I bought one from the EE ( LINKY )
good guy to deal with.get some plates and you are good to go .
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yep, these are the right questions to ask.

Do you plan on running plates?  If not, don't bother with a plate carrier.  A chest rig will be lighter, cheaper and cooler to run.

For a first rig, I'd choose a fixed pocket rig vice a modular rig.  You'll get more for your money.  Use it and learn what works for you and what doesn't.  Spend the money later on a more expensive modular rig once you've figured out your preferences.

How many magazines do you plan/need to carry?  Over time, my preference has run to 3-4 magazine carriers.  The basic combat load for a soldier is 6 magazines plus 1 in the rifle.  I usually find this excessive for my needs and unnecessarily bulky.  Eagle and Specter make excellent, basic chest rigs that are very reasonably priced.  Both are high quality and made in the USA.

That said, one of the more popular chest rigs on these boards is the Eagle Universal available from SKD and Practical Tactical.  It is well made and stitched, like most Eagle products. There is an excellent review on Military Morons that is hard to add to. I agree with the conclusion that the rig offers more capability for the price than just about anything else on the market, and that it is useful for experienced and novice shooters alike.  It also has a couple of MOLLE attachment points, so you can do some minor customization.  The capacity to carry 8 AR magazines, 4 pistol magazines and still have room to grow is more than most need and hard to beat for the money.

As for the color, if your other gear is MARPAT, I'd choose coyote brown, since that's what the Marines use with MARPAT.  

My two cents, YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 6:11:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys, this is just the type of information I was after
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 9:01:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, these are the right questions to ask.

Do you plan on running plates?  If not, don't bother with a plate carrier.  A chest rig will be lighter, cheaper and cooler to run.

For a first rig, I'd choose a fixed pocket rig vice a modular rig.  You'll get more for your money.  Use it and learn what works for you and what doesn't.  Spend the money later on a more expensive modular rig once you've figured out your preferences.

How many magazines do you plan/need to carry?  Over time, my preference has run to 3-4 magazine carriers.  The basic combat load for a soldier is 6 magazines plus 1 in the rifle.  I usually find this excessive for my needs and unnecessarily bulky.  Eagle and Specter make excellent, basic chest rigs that are very reasonably priced.  Both are high quality and made in the USA.

That said, one of the more popular chest rigs on these boards is the Eagle Universal available from SKD and Practical Tactical.  It is well made and stitched, like most Eagle products. There is an excellent review on Military Morons that is hard to add to. I agree with the conclusion that the rig offers more capability for the price than just about anything else on the market, and that it is useful for experienced and novice shooters alike.  It also has a couple of MOLLE attachment points, so you can do some minor customization.  The capacity to carry 8 AR magazines, 4 pistol magazines and still have room to grow is more than most need and hard to beat for the money.

As for the color, if your other gear is MARPAT, I'd choose coyote brown, since that's what the Marines use with MARPAT.  

My two cents, YMMV.

Thanks for the suggestion of the SKD Eagle harness. I've still got my old ALICE deuce gear ; time to get in the 21st Century. It seems to be made very well (stitching, materials) and is pretty comfortable loaded down with gear. I also got a HSGI Utility pouch to put on it, for general "stuff".

Now I need to wear it around for a week straight to get it broken in, sweaty, and dirty. I'm not used to having brand new shiny deuce gear!

Thanks again. I love these forums! Great info!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top