Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2002 3:32:14 PM EDT
I want one of these, thinking I'll just get an upper.  Which one to get, though?  Let me hear some opinions.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 3:54:03 PM EDT
[#1]
The only opinion I have are obvious one.

which ammo is cheaper?
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 4:22:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I looked at both and the Beowulf is considerably less expensive. As far as ammo then you are out of luck, both are expensive. I reload so I picked the one that would be the least expensive to reload and again that was the Beowulf. Brass is cheap and loading dies are ridiculously cheap. I also like straight walled cases since you get less pressure in general and re-sizing is easier and the brass lasts longer in my opinion. And last but not least..the Beowulf is .50 cal!
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone have a pic of both?
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Not a hard decision for me, I'm ordering both.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 4:32:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I was looking at one of their uppers today on the Impact Guns site.  I was considering getting into re-loading, and the cost of this ammo would push me in that direction.  Where can I get brass and dies online?
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 4:34:41 PM EDT
[#6]
50Beowulf vs 458Socom

$695 vs $795
325gr@1950fps vs 300gr@1900fps
50 calibre hype vs better rifle bullet selection
rollyourown vs some Cor-Bon factory loads
reliability? vs utterly reliable
some mags? vs reliable in any mag that's reliable with your 223 ammo

If the numbers five and zero give you a woody, the choice is obvious. If you actually want to use it for hunting huge game or disabling vehicle engines or punching big holes in armor, go with the 458.

As for pix, they look like.. um.. regular uppers. you wont be able to tell untill you look down the barrel.

(i'm not sure if 50beowulf ammo is factory available)
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Alexander arms is where you can get the re-loading stuff. I think its about $39 for 100 brass and bear in mind that at the pressure these will be generating I feel you can reload this brass 20 or more times if the gun doesnt dent the crap out of it. They also sell the dies.

One odd thing that I found out is that the guys at Alexander Arms dont like to sell ANYTHING unless its goin to an FFL, uppers, ammo nothing. I could be wrong but this is the impression that I got from talking to one of the sales reps. The good thing is, Im ordering an upper and all the reloading stuff at the same time and most likely wont have to order anything else for a long time. Otherwise that would be a pain in the butt!
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 4:50:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
50Beowulf vs 458Socom

$695 vs $795
325gr@1950fps vs 300gr@1900fps
50 calibre hype vs better rifle bullet selection
rollyourown vs some Cor-Bon factory loads
reliability? vs utterly reliable
some mags? vs reliable in any mag that's reliable with your 223 ammo

If the numbers five and zero give you a woody, the choice is obvious. If you actually want to use it for hunting huge game or disabling vehicle engines or punching big holes in armor, go with the 458.

As for pix, they look like.. um.. regular uppers. you wont be able to tell untill you look down the barrel.

(i'm not sure if 50beowulf ammo is factory available)

Im looking at 400 gr. at 1800 and the upper Im getting is substantially lower than the price you are quoting, my whole gun wont go much more than $800. Sectional density is a bit better on the 400 grainers and I am going to be using this for a bush gun in big nasty country (Alaska). The ballistics are better than 45-70.

As far as reliability. I have read two published reports and gotten info from 4 other people and the verdict is absolute reliability so far.

The ammo is being produced by AA but I can reload for half the price.

You are right about one thing .50 vs 458 is pretty moot if driven about the same speed and the gun and you are accurate.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I have an original Tromix rifle in .50 AE. If I had to do again I would go for the .458 for the bullet selection alone. Brass prices are not a huge concern for me as this is a low round count rifle. I still have not put 200 rounds through mine in 2 years but have taken two deer with it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 5:05:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have an original Tromix rifle in .50 AE. If I had to do again I would go for the .458 for the bullet selection alone. Brass prices are not a huge concern for me as this is a low round count rifle. I still have not put 200 rounds through mine in 2 years but have taken two deer with it.

I shoot about 500 rounds of assorted big bore per week sometimes (.500 Linebaugh, 454, 45 Colt, ACP) so I need cheap. True the bullet selection that I have found for .50 is exactly 4.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I have only found 2. Speer 325 Gr. hollow points and some IMI's that were never in stock.

What others have you found? Any solids?

Link Posted: 7/25/2002 6:12:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
50Beowulf vs 458Socom

$695 vs $795

Where did you see these prices?  Teppo Jutsu advertises $885 shipped for the .458 upper.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 9:59:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have only found 2. Speer 325 Gr. hollow points and some IMI's that were never in stock.

What others have you found? Any solids?

Hawk bullets sells .50 AE bullets in 265, 300, 350, there is also the common 325 and the 400 is sold by AA and Hawk will make a bullet in whatever weight you request within limits and all you have to order is 4 boxes. Not bad really
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 10:42:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Anyone have a pic of both?

Sparky, go here www.alexanderarms.com/hsg.html  
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 6:22:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Anybody know of commercial sources for .50 Beowulf ammo, or is this strictly a reloader's job at present?
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:51:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Anybody know of commercial sources for .50 Beowulf ammo, or is this strictly a reloader's job at present?

Alexander Arms sells loaded ammunition (prices are on their website).

But as noted above (and on their website) they only sell to Govt or FFLs.  If you want one of these uppers/ammo you have to go to a dealer or distributer that is selling them.

Both rounds use standard AR-15 magazines so there is not advantage either way.

The bottlenecked .458 should theoretically be the more reliable feeder - but I have not seen any hard data either way.

As far as reloading here is some interesting info from Marty @ Teppo Jutsu:

I did want to point to one little item, that might make the 458 a pinch more fun for the reloader - once necked to 458, the cases don't nestle with the rim of one in the mouth of the other. It makes feeding in the Dillon a lot more enjoyable ...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top