Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 1/6/2012 8:49:44 PM EDT
Just like the topic says, I'm looking for a good carbon steel single blade. I slightly prefer a "tactical" style, but don't need glass breakers and seatbelt blades etc. Would like a smoothblade for sharpening. I really liked the m1911 until I checked out the review and saw half of it was made in China and the lock mechanism sucked. Someone point me in the right direction please, all these manufacturers are pumping out this stainless crap that doesn't hold an edge, what happened to good old fashioned carbon steel and a little oil?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:22:01 AM EDT
Well, would you consider D2 carbon or stainless? It's really kind of halfway between the two. There are a lot of options for folders with carbon blades but if you want a tactical style that really cuts down your options. The reason why I mention D2 is that Benchmade makes quite a few modern style folders with D2 blades.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:18:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2012 3:25:16 PM EDT by _Soggy_]
Stainless steel does hold an edge depending on geometry, heat treat, and the steel's properties. Many "tactical" style knives with carbon steel blades will be on the expensive side(D2 is probably the exception). I know Spyderco has a couple different knives with M4 which is one of the best carbon steel blades in edge holding. Kershaw and Benchmade had a few models that have D2 blades as well.

There are lots of carbon steel knives if you go the more traditional route.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:46:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By _Soggy_:
Stainless steel does hold an edge depending on geometry, heat treat, and the steel's properties. Many "tactical" style knives with carbon steel blades will be on the expensive side(D2 is probably the exception). I know Spyderco has a couple different knives with ZDP 189 which is one of the best carbon steel blades in edge holding. Kershaw and Benchmade had a few models that have D2 blades as well.

Isn't ZDP-189 a stainless steel?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:10:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By HarryStone:
Stainless steel does hold an edge depending on geometry, heat treat, and the steel's properties. Many "tactical" style knives with carbon steel blades will be on the expensive side(D2 is probably the exception). I know Spyderco has a couple different knives with ZDP 189 which is one of the best carbon steel blades in edge holding. Kershaw and Benchmade had a few models that have D2 blades as well.

Yeah, I'm an idiot. I was thinking of M4 which Spyderco used in a few knives.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:15:45 PM EDT
Originally Posted By HarryStone:

Yeah, I'm an idiot. I was thinking of M4 which Spyderco used in a few knives.

That's right, I forgot about M4. They use O1 in their bushcraft but it's a fixed blade. I wish they would make a few carbon steel folders.

Tactical style and carbon steel don't seem to go together when it comes to folders which is a shame really. I like carbon steel, but I guess too many people don't want to take care of a carbon steel blade in a folder.

Or it could just be that the knife companies think we won't buy it. I guess they haven't noticed that if it's marketed correctly people will buy just about anything when it comes to knives.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:30:41 AM EDT
Buck 110...the original tactical knife.
Page Armory » Blades
Top Top