Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2004 1:25:34 AM EDT
Want to find out when a SA Garand was built.  A guy at work has one, asking $500.  I'm going to look at it first of the week.  He usually keeps his stuff up well.  Thoughts on price?  Anything a Garand noob needs to look for?

TIA,
Tim
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 8:37:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 4:27:10 PM EDT
[#2]
mr_wilson,

Thanks for the link.  I had looked at battlerifles, though I'm not too familiar with the site.  Never thought to look over at biggerhammer.

Any help on my other questions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Tim
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 8:46:32 PM EDT
[#3]
$500 for a Garand is a screaming deal, IMO.  As long as nothing is super outta wack, it's better than the CMP deal.  If you have headspace gauges great (local 'smith can check for you quick), op rod doesn't jump the track, and gas cylinder looks good, you should be good to go.HTH
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:30:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Okay.  I bought it!

SN 19125xx, Sept, 1943(?).  Bbl is marked   2 S A 6 44   under the handguard.  I'm guessing it is a June '44 bbl?  Tell me why the bbl was manuf'ed a year later.  Rebbl'ing?  Bore is decent.   Furniture looks decent.  No cracks.  A few dings.  1 about the size of a pencil eraser, or a Nazi brain.  Character mark!  Finish on the bbl forward of the front sight well worn, but absolutely no rust anywhere on the rifle.

I also got 10 clips full of FN 61 headstamped FMJ in the deal.  Function test on 1 clip tells me that she's a "functioner".  

I'll find out whether or not she's a shooter later.

Good deal, or not?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Congrats!  Enjoy your piece of history.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top