Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 11/27/2016 3:32:46 PM EST
Looking at an esee laser strike 5", a buck 103 skinner, or a K-Bar becker BK2.

I dont care about whether it's stainless steel or I can hack down a redwood tree or if I can start a fire with it.
I want a knife that's easy to sharpen that I can keep super sharp, and that I can clean and field dress super nasty thick skinned razorback feral hogs with.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:54:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/27/2016 3:56:35 PM EST by goldeyeslayer]
Cold Steel Master Hunter. Carbon steel version

eta: The Becker is huge ( I have 2), I've heard good things about ESSE, and to hell with Buck, Their steel sucks out loud.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 4:31:26 PM EST
I use this one: Quartered a cow elk the other day, still sharp, skinned the quarters out - still sharp.

Buck knives aren't fancy, but I've always had good luck with them. I wish I could find my old buck bird knife, I put it away somewhere and haven't seen it for 20 years.

Buck Zipper
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 6:27:15 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By goldeyeslayer:

eta: The Becker is huge ( I have 2), I've heard good things about ESSE, and to hell with Buck, Their steel sucks out loud.
View Quote

Whats wrong with buck's metal?

Also, I was under the impression that cold steel i knives were mostly novelty items?
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 6:46:27 PM EST
Cheap $10 mora on Amazon.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 6:56:36 PM EST
Originally Posted By Ef4life:
View Quote

You have my attention.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 7:10:49 PM EST
I bought a couple of Mora knives from Ragweed Forge Seem like a decent enough knife. I keep one of the heavy duty bladed ones in the truck.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 7:11:04 PM EST
Originally Posted By hkusp9:

You have my attention.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You have my attention.

There is a 10-20 page thread on them in gd I think. Good cheap knife with good steel that's really all I can say
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 7:34:34 PM EST

You have my attention.
View All Quotes

You have my attention.

I used mine for the first time yesterday, to breast a couple of ducks. Worked great!
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 7:44:39 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/27/2016 7:52:59 PM EST by goldeyeslayer]

Also, I was under the impression that cold steel i knives were mostly novelty items?
View All Quotes

420hc (high carbon)

doesn't hold an edge well and brittle

Cold Steel makes some decent knives and some novelty bullshit. Their marketing is over the top though.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 7:45:52 PM EST
View Quote

Not a bad idea at all. They have no guard/hilt though and care must be taken
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:11:15 PM EST

420hc (high carbon)

Cold Steel makes some decent knives and some novelty bullshit. Their marketing is over the top though.
View All Quotes

420hc (high carbon)

I thought that high carbon was supposed to be good because its harder than stainless and holds an edge better.

My primary knife now is a spyderco endura 4 and my shaperner is a spyderco sharpmaker. It takes frigging forever to sharpen that knife and then it seems to get dull very quickly.

I'm thinking of buying one of those ken onion belt grinfer knife sharpeners thats real aggressive and then getting the hardest metal I can so I'll always have a super sharp knife for cleaning these nasty boars with thick skin.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:15:10 PM EST

I thought that high carbon was supposed to be good because its harder than stainless and holds an edge better.

My primary knife now is a spyderco endura 4 and my shaperner is a spyderco sharpmaker. It takes frigging forever to sharpen that knife and then it seems to get dull very quickly.

I'm thinking of buying one of those ken onion belt grinfer knife sharpeners thats real aggressive and then getting the hardest metal I can so I'll always have a super sharp knife for cleaning these nasty boars with thick skin.
View All Quotes

420hc (high carbon)

Its "high carbon" stainless

I have been a bit disappointed with my endura 4 under hard use as well
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 11:28:52 PM EST

View All Quotes

420hc (high carbon)

I got the worksharp combo and it works pretty damn good. However I bought the worksharp guided field sharpener and that works even better for final touches. The combo will quick fix neglected or just plain dull blades. The field sharpener has a coarse and fine finishing rod along with a strop. The guides are set at 20°, but if you can eyeball the blade angle on the stones without using the guides you can get outstanding results. I can't quite get a mirror finish using the field sharpener but for $30 it's damn close and perfection is often more trouble and time than it's worth anyway.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 11:33:24 PM EST

View Quote

Master Hunter's a great knife. Love mine.

I take industrial boning knives for cutting up game, too.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 12:21:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/28/2016 12:25:08 PM EST by tsg68]

View All Quotes

420hc (high carbon)

420 is way too soft, even old 440 surgical stainless kicks it's ass.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 5:09:10 PM EST
Ok so I finally figured out the correct answer:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/c/ref=mw_dp_buy_crt

And a folding box cutter with a carpet blade for skinning.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 10:42:29 PM EST
Esee 3
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:11:18 AM EST
Just got a Bark River in 3V steel to give as a Christmas gift. I know nothing about hunting or knives, but it's gorgeous. Maybe Santa will hook you up?

Link Posted: 11/29/2016 2:34:14 AM EST
Here are a few I'd look at. S30V should provide you with a strong knife that will hold an edge well and sharpens easily on diamond stone.

KOA Alpha Wolf
Benchmade Steep Country
Benchmade Saddle Mountain Hunter
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 11:23:11 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/29/2016 11:23:28 AM EST by DonnieBrasco]
I was given a Helle as a gift and have used almost exclusively that. Love that knife. Otherwise I would probably use a Mora or one of the Benchmade offerings.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 5:31:42 PM EST
Buck Knives are not garbage steel. Buck knows what they are doing with their heat treat. The 420 HC knives will take a sharp edge and hold the edge comparable with plain high carbon steels. Will they hold an edge like a steel such as ELMAX? No, but that doesn't make them garbage, it just means they perform like a basic steel. Mora knives aren't going to hold an edge appreciably longer.

OP - you really have one decision to make. Do you want a knife made out of a less expensive steel that will take a sharp edge but require touching up between field dressing jobs, or do you want to spend more on a more expensive "super steel" that will hold an edge much longer (but will also be somewhat more difficult to sharpen)?

There's no wrong answer, it really depends on personal preference. I use 1095 blades for skinning and field dressing. I give them frequent touch ups, and always give them some sharpening after field dressing an animal. With just a few minutes and a diamond rod I can have them back to razor sharp.

Link Posted: 11/29/2016 6:27:34 PM EST
My izula 2 has held up well after dressing two deer this season
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 9:55:24 PM EST
Originally Posted By smally127:
My izula 2 has held up well after dressing two deer this season
View Quote

I also carry an Izula as part of my hunting gear. It's a handy knife for when you want a small blade.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 10:22:30 PM EST
check out bark river, their 3v models will hold a great edge, the elmax version will be super rust resistant and the a2 will be easy to sharpen.

the gunny
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 10:52:42 PM EST
My laser strike and izula II work well enough processing deer and farm pigs.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:20:39 PM EST
Originally Posted By sovaprepper:
check out bark river, their 3v models will hold a great edge, the elmax version will be super rust resistant and the a2 will be easy to sharpen.

the gunny
View Quote

Agree. I have a BRKT Bravo 1 in A2, and it's a nice field knife. A bit thick in the blade for being a good skinner, but Bark River offers a lot of designs. ELMAX steel offers stellar edge retension.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:21:58 PM EST
Originally Posted By Rocky9_5:
My laser strike and izula II work well enough processing deer and farm pigs.
View Quote

I field dressed a large buck this season with nothing but an Izula. I had some other knives with me, but I wanted to see how the Izula would do on it's own. No problem. A few times I did wish for a little more blade, but entirely doable.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 3:40:51 PM EST
Originally Posted By AeroEngineer:

Agree. I have a BRKT Bravo 1 in A2, and it's a nice field knife. A bit thick in the blade for being a good skinner, but Bark River offers a lot of designs. ELMAX steel offers stellar edge retension.
View Quote

yea the gunny is a smaller version of the bravo 1 and a bit thinner I believe
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:14:16 PM EST
Originally Posted By johnh57:
I use this one: Quartered a cow elk the other day, still sharp, skinned the quarters out - still sharp.

Buck knives aren't fancy, but I've always had good luck with them. I wish I could find my old buck bird knife, I put it away somewhere and haven't seen it for 20 years.

Buck Zipper
View Quote

This right here, or the non gut hook version the Vanguard.  I have both.  Good reasonably priced knives that hold an edge.  The curved blade tip skins really well too.

Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:14:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/4/2016 4:19:36 PM EST by rca2222]
double tap
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 5:06:07 PM EST
Mora carbon.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 6:00:58 PM EST
They also make the Bravo 1 LT, which is significantly thinner at .15".

Originally Posted By AeroEngineer:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:37:25 PM EST
Originally Posted By rca2222:

This right here, or the non gut hook version the Vanguard.  I have both.  Good reasonably priced knives that hold an edge.  The curved blade tip skins really well too.

View Quote

I have the one without the gut hook. Great knife. Will skin a deer without needing to get back on the block.

For my EDC I have Buck Vanguard with S30V BOS steel. It takes a Lansky and stropping on the work sharp to get it sharp but it will hold an edge.

DON'T use a worksharp for sharpening anything, they don't get the entire blade and will scratch up the steel on the sides. I use mine for stropping only know and just few passes with tape over the blade body to keep it scratch free.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:07:58 PM EST
Originally Posted By ErikS:

I have the one without the gut hook. Great knife. Will skin a deer without needing to get back on the block.

For my EDC I have Buck Vanguard with S30V BOS steel. It takes a Lansky and stropping on the work sharp to get it sharp but it will hold an edge.

DON'T use a worksharp for sharpening anything, they don't get the entire blade and will scratch up the steel on the sides. I use mine for stropping only know and just few passes with tape over the blade body to keep it scratch free.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ErikS:
Originally Posted By rca2222:

I use the Lansky kit with the various grits and the metal guide.  Touch ups are done with a little Gerber ceramic cross stick.  Seems to work OK, but then I'm not the best at sharpening.

Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:18:13 PM EST
This is the answer you seek for skinning. Replaceable super sharp blades.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 11:51:05 AM EST
I use ESEE 4 for deer hunting.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:53:07 PM EST
I use a Benchmade Saddle Mountain Skinner. Their S30V takes a ridiculous edge, and touches up very easily.

It's my go to.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:08:36 AM EST
Love my Havalon knife. Replaceable blades that are super sharp. Now you can get an assortment of blades that include Hunter(skinning) blades, fillet blades & bone saw blades.
I also have an Outdoor Edge skinning & caping knife that I carry out in the field.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:17:48 AM EST

For less the $25 (if you shop around) this little Buck knife is awesome.  I call it my asshole knife but I do everything in a field dress with it except the initial cut.  I use a off-brand short fat bladed gut hook knife (some generic Smokey Mount Knife Works knife) to open the body cavity.  The rest of the work is done with my Buck.  That said I also keep my Gerber mini ax handy.  I keep it knife sharp and with the aid of a wooden mallet I split the ribs and pelvis.  Makes getting them cleaned out easy.

The Buck knife has enough handle to reach where you need it but being one piece its easy to clean even if its covered in gore.  Even the sheath has a plastic liner so if you put it back covered in blood you can slide the liner out and clean the blade and liner.  All in all for the price it is a wonderfully light weight knife to have in your pack or coat pocket for field dressing deer.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:08:13 PM EST
Stick with your sharpmaker.
VG-10 benefits from more time on a strop IME.
Its not a very impressive steel. Although it looses sharpness quickly VG-10 can be brought back to razor sharp quick with a few strokes on the fine rods and some (more) time on a strop.

Bark River makes excellent knives.
If that's too expensive an option a Mora carbon steel would work great for low cost.
With the carbon steel you could also force a patina on the blade to darken it if you want. There is a video on youtube showing how to do it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:24:59 PM EST
I have esee izula and esee 3 I have used.

Also look at benchmade hidden canyon hunter and saddle mountain Skinner.... They're made of s30v and work wonderfully
Page Armory » Blades
Top Top