Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2005 5:52:19 AM EDT
I already have a can for my AR and I use it for both 223 and convert the AR to 22LR and use it again. I would like to be able to use it on my 10/22. Since I've replaced the barrel with a bull barrel I was thinking I should be able to find someone to thread the end of the original barrel with the same thread pitch as the AR flash suppressor.
So, anyone know someone that can machine this or know any reason NOT to do it?
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 6:10:33 AM EDT
[#1]
check with adcofirearms.

also wouldnt the .223 can be close to no suppression on the .22lr? or at least not as effective?
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 6:30:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll check with them, THANKS!

Actually, it seems to work pretty good. It work REALLY good with Sniper Sub-Sonics.
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 7:47:12 AM EDT
[#3]
ya just gotta watch out for baffle stricks when using the SSS rounds.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 3:54:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Try Tactical Solutions.

Bomber
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Take the can and the barrel to any local machine shop, they can figure out the thread, be it standard or metic.. This is very simple work for a comptiant machine shop and shouldnt run you more than $40.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Take the can and the barrel to any local machine shop, they can figure out the thread, be it standard or metic.. This is very simple work for a comptiant machine shop and shouldnt run you more than $40.

That would be okay for a flash suppressor, but I wouldn't trust them for a second when a sound suppressor is involved. If the threads are slightly off, there goes your $600 suppressor.

I'd recommend sending the barrel to a suppressor manufacturer ONLY.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 2:12:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be okay for a flash suppressor, but I wouldn't trust them for a second when a sound suppressor is involved. If the threads are slightly off, there goes your $600 suppressor.

I'd recommend sending the barrel to a suppressor manufacturer ONLY.

A big +1
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 11:19:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Comeon guys, the people you suggest sending a barell to are going to use the EXACT same equiptment and procedure to thread the barell as a machine shop would. I dont know what kind of machine work you guys are used to, but a true machine shop/tool and die maker can turn out some very precision work. Where do you think the supressor is made? or the rest of the entire gun for that matter.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Comeon guys, the people you suggest sending a barell to are going to use the EXACT same equiptment and procedure to thread the barell as a machine shop would. I dont know what kind of machine work you guys are used to, but a true machine shop/tool and die maker can turn out some very precision work. Where do you think the supressor is made? or the rest of the entire gun for that matter.

The suppressor manufacture will turn the barrel to the bore, and warrenty the suppressor from baffle strikes, will your local machine shop Guarantee that?

Send the barrel to whom ever made your suppressor.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 12:26:55 PM EDT
[#10]
A guy sells threaded 10/22 barrels on ebay all the time.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 1:05:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The suppressor manufacture will turn the barrel to the bore, and warrenty the suppressor from baffle strikes, will your local machine shop Guarantee that?

Send the barrel to whom ever made your suppressor.

I cant argue with that statement.

I still contend that a machine shop is fully capable of threading a barrel to the point where baffle strikes will be non-existant.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 6:16:42 AM EDT
[#12]
A machine shop may be fully capable of doing it the right way but, are you wanting to risk it?

It's almost like buying a $1,000 race gun and shooting remington thunderbolts through it expecting it to operate properly and get good groups.

If you were willing to buy a suppressor, pay the tax, and jump through all the hoops - not to mention the wait - why would you cheap out all of a sudden and get a bad thread job that could ruin it all? Doesn't make sense to me.

I can see where you may be coming from, saying that the suppressor manufacturers are just trying to scare you into giving them more money... but, if that's how you feel then get it threaded where ever you want and if it works out good, then good for you.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:35:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a barrel from the guy at e-bay.  $59 for a factory Ruger barrel, cut to 16 1/2" and threaded 1/2x28.  The muzzle crown needed a tiny bit of work, but the threads were spot on, and I am delighted with his work!

It is a grande plinker!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top