Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2002 4:04:32 PM EDT
I've had my AR (Armalite) for over a year and really enjoy shooting it. I've been developing an interest in a .308 and the HK G3 in particular and need your learned opinions on it. I've looked at the Century Arms rebuilt version.....anyone have experience with that one? Any bad, or good experiences? Is it reliable, easy to maintain? Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 12/26/2002 7:51:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 9:37:19 PM EDT
[#2]
the cetme or g3 from century is more or less a crap shoot.  they may have gotten better at it by now.  for 300 a 308 plinker aint bad.  if you want something that shoots better got for a fal.  cost more, but is more accurate.  replacement parts are very common on both.  the cetmes design has some wearable areas like the cocking mech.  you pull it back when cocking.  the side ways pressure makes the part wear uneven.  when it is worn bad you will not be able to easily cock the gun.  10 dollar part, but all the same.  fal has adjustable gas system.  great for shooting hunting and/or mil surplus.  you can adjust how much gas to release.  you should adjust it so that there is just enough to cycle the gun with the ammo that you are using.  i have both.  the fal is sweet by all means.  for the price, i would get a remmy 700.  and then eventually upgrade the barrel and trigger to make a serious tack driver.

later
lojack
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 6:19:26 AM EDT
[#3]
http://www.geocities.com/miketheelectrician1/checklist.html?1011134301940

I read alot and used the list link above to handpick a CETME 2 weeks ago; very happy so far. Like Century FALs, builds vary. I built 2 FALs over the previous years and can say that helpful info and parts are easier to get for the FAL, and the FAL is easier to clean after shooting. But each of mine are cracking 2 moa; the CETME is a softer shooter IMO.
Either way, barrel condition is more important than real estate location!
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 3:43:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I have FAL's, AR's and a G3. The G3 is the only one I can't do my own work on because the barrel is welded into the receiver. That being said the H&K locking roller system is a close second to the AK in total reliability. There is no gas system to deal with and the rifle is almost industructable. If you can't afford the 'real' H&K 91 then try and find an FMP G3. The Portugese made the only licensed copy of the H&K and it's a really fine weapon.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Federal receiver G3. Never once jammed on me, not a single time.

I used to have a L1A1, basically a FAL. I always had to readjust the gas port whenever I changed ammo. A huge pain in the ass! I sold it & never regretted it.

My .o2
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have FAL's, AR's and a G3. The G3 is the only one I can't do my own work on because the barrel is welded into the receiver.

The trunnion is welded into the reciever. The barrel should be pinned into the trunnion like an HK.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:01:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I vote for a CETME , THEY ARE G3's
under the skin, but less expensive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top