Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2002 5:48:13 PM EDT
Hi all,

This is kind of last minut, but I am going to a gun show tomorrow and am thinking about buying an AK.  I dont know much about these rifles so I thought I would ask you all before I go so I can look for a good deal.

What type of AK's should I avoid?

What type of AK's should I look out for? and what is considered a good price based on the model/caliber you suggest.

I have about $600.00 to spend.  If you would not suggest an AK what other assault type rifle would you look out for and again, what would a good price be for it.

I already own an AR-15 and a SKS.

Thanks In advance!
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:05:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I've owned 4 different Romainian AKs.  They are not pretty, but they work and all of them were able to pop a soda can out of the box at about 85 yards.  I also own a SSR-85C from global trades.  A very nice rifle with a good finish and the slant comp.  The SSR should go for about $500 after tax & the Romainian should be in the $300-$350 range.  I hope you get one cause you just can't go wrong with an AK.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:10:38 PM EDT
[#3]
If you've got $600 to spend, the first thing I'd do is cruise the crowd for at least a couple of hours. Who knows, you might find a good deal on a preban, or for that matter someone with a postban and save yourself some money either way. But make sure to go with cash in hand.

Other than that, unless you like those thumbhole stock Norinco's  you'll probably find mostly the Romanian or Egyptian Maadi's. Both are generaly good rifles for the money, but make sure to look them over for crooked front site posts and such. If it looks good, then I'd recommend buying one. For the money they're great. Though I wouldn't pay more than $375-$400 for one.

I mean, sure you can pay more for an AK, but why?

Though I have to add, if you come across some of those Arsenal AK's (made in TX) I hear they're pretty nice. Just haven't heard how much they're going for.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#4]
My suggestion--

With $600 you can get:

A pre-ban No-Name Chinese (Norinco or earlier) AK.  You may not find it in the gunshow, but if you check the boards, you can find one on occasion.  Avoid the US made B-West guns (the Chinese guns are OK--the US made guns suffer from soft metal).

Post Ban--
A VEPR, SLR-95 (thumbhole)--these are milled receiver guns, SA-85 Hungarian (thumbhole).

For that much money, you might as well get a good quality gun and avoid the cheaper SAR's and MAADI's (they work fine, just the fit and finish are no good).

The thumbhole guns can be fitted with enough US parts to use a pistol grip easily enough.  

If you DON'T KNOW ABOUT AK's you are RIPE for the PLUCKING!!.  Be careful--there are a lot of guys out there at gunshows with garbage price like gold.  I would strongly suggest you hold on to your money, visit our sister AK site, or AK-47.net and learn before you spend your money.

AFARR
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:23:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My suggestion--

With $600 you can get:

A pre-ban No-Name Chinese (Norinco or earlier) AK.  You may not find it in the gunshow, but if you check the boards, you can find one on occasion.  Avoid the US made B-West guns (the Chinese guns are OK--the US made guns suffer from soft metal).

Post Ban--
A VEPR, SLR-95 (thumbhole)--these are milled receiver guns, SA-85 Hungarian (thumbhole).

For that much money, you might as well get a good quality gun and avoid the cheaper SAR's and MAADI's (they work fine, just the fit and finish are no good).

The thumbhole guns can be fitted with enough US parts to use a pistol grip easily enough.  

If you DON'T KNOW ABOUT AK's you are RIPE for the PLUCKING!!.  Be careful--there are a lot of guys out there at gunshows with garbage price like gold.  I would strongly suggest you hold on to your money, visit our sister AK site, or AK-47.net and learn before you spend your money.

AFARR

While I disagree somewhat with AFAAR on the Romanian and Maadi's quality, I will agree that he has a point. The Romanians can be hit and miss if you don't know what you're looking at, and unfamiliar with the prices.

Since you really aren't that familiar to AK's, you'd be better off doing a little more research on them. Their are plenty of variants, and also lot's of people who will rip you off on price for them.

I understand the "Itch" to go out and buy one when money is eating a hole in your pocket. But believe me when it comes to guns, you'll be happy you did you're homework.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:27:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you all for the quick replies!  and the good advice.

Yeah, I just want to make sure I dont pass up on a steal of a deal without knowing it.  If I dont find a steal I'll probably wait until I learn more as you suggested.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Newguy,  Just what gunshow are you going to?  There is going to be one in Myrtle Beach, SC tomorrow that I will be going to.  

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Put 200 hundred in one pocket and 400 in the other.  Try not to spend the whole 6 bills on an AK (Unless it makes you drool)
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:43:10 PM EDT
[#9]
All AKs work.  That said some are a bit better finished than others.  I personally am satisfied with the SAR series.  I don't mind the rough finish as I had planned to have them redone down the road anyway.  I would also say the Arsenals and SSRs are ok as well as the VAPRs.  Avoid anything that says Hesse like the plague, or so I have heard.  Just be careful about certain unscrupulous people trying to pass off an illegally modified postban.  I would tend to stick with the Romanians in the current market.  My simple reason is that I bought the AK as a best bang for the buck rifle and If I wanted to pay $600 I'd have just got a letterhead from the Sheriff and bought an AR.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's a Deal for you:

subguns.biggerhammer.net/nonnfaad.cgi?read=135535

Joe is an excellent guy and a great dealer.  These are new milled receivers with parts kits (pistol grips).  Gordon Tech is an excellent manufacturer of quality AK's.  This is probably much better than you would find at a gunshow.

AFARR
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:10:20 PM EDT
[#11]
ok...mY 2 CENTS.

I own quite a few different AK's. Just my experience.

New production would have to go to the SLR-95 Romanian. Nice rack grade AK's built damn close to the Russian AKM pattern. You can attach a slant brake and be all set.

Newer Maadi's are rough although you could buy a good shooter if you look hard enough.

Best would be an early '90's Maadi similiar to the much wanted preban Steyr imported Maadi rifles. Look for the ARM or RML model's. These AK's are the best deal for the closest available cousin to a real read Russian AKM complete with black painted finish and full AKM spec. If it is still a thumbhole rifle, us internals could change this and a conversion of the exisiting stock to the preban profile is very easy. These pop up at gun shows all the time.

MAK-90's are good shooters and are a combination of AKM stamped reciever and AK-47 pattern bolt, internals and gas tube. Kind a Chicom "hybrid" AK pattern. The problem is that these rifles have outpriced themselves since banned and certainly not the best of the breed with the cut portion of reciever that makes attaching preban stocks an ugly ordeal and odd pattern.

Bulgarian's are real nice but pricy. My brother owns one and it is one of the highest quality AK's I've ever seen.

Otherwise, you could checkout Teneesseeguns.com. They build some classy and authentic AK's UNDER $500 using bulgarian parts. VERY NICE. No junkers here!

Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:52:37 AM EDT
[#12]

what i did was purchase a milled bulgarian reciever and a K-var parts kit and paid sombody to put them together for me.
Now i have a beautiful well built bulgarian ak

if ya want somthing done right do it your self

Link Posted: 1/5/2002 12:28:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I just bought a beauitiful WASR-10 Romanian for $289 with 30 round clip, brand new.

I love it to death.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#14]
There is a milled Bulg-type AK which is made in US. Have heard great things. Is called SA-M7. The SSR rifles from Global trades are stamped rec and are excellent as well. MAK-90s are fine and function reliably, as most all of the AKs do. SARs are not as pretty but are good-I like mine. If you go with an SAR try to get your hands on one before buying and try to buy one dated 2000 or later, earlier versions have soft internals. You'll need to change out the fire control parts or work on the disconnector, anyway, as they are notorious for trigger slap due to the US made parts. Check the SARs to make sure everything lines up ok as not all do. MAADIs are definitely not my favorites but some like them. All AKs are reliable in general. Ask if you have any more specific questions.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I have owned most of the AKs over the last few years.

For just a shooter buy a MAC-90 or SAR-1.  Should have to pay 300-400.

For a good AK buy a SLR 95/96 milled receiver.  High quality.  The barrel has a life of 35-50 K rounds.  The other AKs have a 20-30 K rd life.  It is also more accurate.  It will cost you 450 or more.  Worth it if you are going to keep the gun.

My second choice is a Norinco 84S.  It is a .233 caliber and is made better than most other stamped receivers.  The cost should be 400 for a post ban and 800 for a pre ban.  The only problem is that the mags are hard to get and they may cost as much as $50.  Make sure the seller has some to go with the gun.  They are great shooters. If you are reloader they will put a nice dent in each spent shell.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:46:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I will second the votes for the SLR-95 or SA-M7. I would probably choose the SA-M7 first, as it comes from the factory with a pistol grip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top