Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2008 4:26:40 PM EDT
I am the market for either an M1 Carbine or a Krinkov. Personally I would rather buy an M1. However there is a lot of uncertainty in this area. I hear so much about the M1 being under powered and such. Is this true? Also what is an average effective range for an m1? What brand is best? If you were going to buy one what would you get.

I am hoping to buy this as a project gun that will primarily serve as a fun plinker. However I am also thinking about the possibility of using the firearm as a home defense rifle. The OAL is good for CQB and a 30 round magazine gives me ample firepower.

Once I have bought the rifle i intend to get an ultimak rail and mount an Aimpoint M2 on it. Also thinking about replacing the wood stocks for synthetic. I think this would make a fun camping gun.

Any feedback or info regarding my questions would be greatly appreciated. I also don't mid a picture or two here or there

thanks j0hn

Link Posted: 10/18/2008 4:11:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Why butcher a piece of US history? Forget the M1 Carbine get something else
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 4:11:57 AM EDT
[#2]
 Honestly before the bubba a M1 Carbine , A Ruger 9mm or 40 cal Carbine would be a Great choice for a Home defense carbine. The ammo is very cheap compared to a .30 cal
The ghost ring sights are pretty cool on them. They already come in a synthetic stock. M1 carbine can be finicky with out good maintenance  and good mags. They are 55 years old....IMO and good luck, WarDawg
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 4:44:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Who says he has to butcher a piece of history, or use an old rifle?
I have no experience with them but, Auto-Ordnance makes new rifles.

Of course for the price, you'd be better off with an AR.
But, even ifyou had a CMP M1, and bought the ultimak rail and synthetic stock, how much is that going ro run compared to an entry level flat top AR? I'd still say get the AR.
You'll save money in the long run in mags and ammo.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 5:14:58 AM EDT
[#4]
why not do your project with a mini-14 ranch rifle?
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:14:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am the market for either an M1 Carbine or a Krinkov. Personally I would rather buy an M1. However there is a lot of uncertainty in this area. I hear so much about the M1 being under powered and such. Is this true? Also what is an average effective range for an m1? What brand is best? If you were going to buy one what would you get.

I am hoping to buy this as a project gun that will primarily serve as a fun plinker. However I am also thinking about the possibility of using the firearm as a home defense rifle. The OAL is good for CQB and a 30 round magazine gives me ample firepower.

Once I have bought the rifle i intend to get an ultimak rail and mount an Aimpoint M2 on it. Also thinking about replacing the wood stocks for synthetic. I think this would make a fun camping gun.

Any feedback or info regarding my questions would be greatly appreciated. I also don't mid a picture or two here or there

thanks j0hn

img162.imageshack.us/img162/8028/m1carbinezm4.jpg

I have an AO M1 carbine that works well for just this kind of use.   It's a fun little plinker as well, and dirt cheap to shoot if you reload.  

Link Posted: 10/19/2008 10:56:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Get a M1 carbine from CMP.  I think you'll appreciate the lighter weight and windage adjustable rear sights over the Krinkov.  I've personally grouped my 1943 IBM into the black on the NRA standard small bore 200 yard target at that distance.  I've seen people hit 300yd silhouettes at WWII fun matches, but I haven't gone that distance with mine yet.

I don't mind M1 carbine owners using tactical accessories as long as long as the rifle isn't permanently altered.  I'd like to get a folding stock for mine at some point.

For a carbine I don't think it's underpowered at all.  The .30 carbine delivers about 300lbs more energy to target then a .357 magnum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top