Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2013 10:50:29 PM EDT
Before I left for Korea, I filled out the forms for a Huntertown Arms 5.56 suppressor.

Now that I got my generous travel pay deposited, I have some fun money.

I'm considering giving the wife unit the go ahead to send the forms to my dealer so it can get in the ATFs queue.

Before I do this, what is your take on screw-on 5.56 suppressors?

I like the fact that the registered part of the Kestrel 5.56 is the part closest to the threads, beings supposedly most baffle strikes happen towards the middle or end of the can.

However, I wanna make sure my $450 is going to be well-spent. You guys think this would be a nice entry into the centerfire rifle can world? FWIW, I already have an Osprey 45 and a Huntertown Kestrel .22 pending since November, so I'm good on pistol suppressors.

Pics of suppressor host in question- 11.5" Spikes Tactical:

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 11:13:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I love mine.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 11:21:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Very nice. How's it sound?

I imagine it'll be a lot louder on an 11.5", however, I don't want to screw with having to buy $100 mounts for each rifle I want to put a suppressor on; I like the fact it screws right on. When I take the suppressor off, I'll just screw a Vortex FH on it, since they don't need to be timed, nor require a crush washer.

How's the blowback?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 11:37:23 PM EDT
[#3]
This is my first suppressor ever, even got the Kestrel 22. That said I had a friend over to check it out, he knows abit more than me. It does sound like a 22, the sound seems abit ahead of the rifle not in your ears. Then shot it without the suppressor, really makes a difference. It was definately hearing safe, and my buddy said definately worth the money. He mentioned about gas in his face, I notice it abit too but I really didnt mind at the time as I was just excited to shoot it finally. I like the idea of where the serial # are too. Baffles can be rotated also to prolong the life of the suppressor. I really didnt find any data on noise reduction but what alot of ppl mentioned is that a few db's dont matter. So I figured the design was perfect. I'm real happy with my purchase.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 12:05:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This is my first suppressor ever, even got the Kestrel 22. That said I had a friend over to check it out, he knows abit more than me. It does sound like a 22, the sound seems abit ahead of the rifle not in your ears. Then shot it without the suppressor, really makes a difference. It was definately hearing safe, and my buddy said definately worth the money. He mentioned about gas in his face, I notice it abit too but I really didnt mind at the time as I was just excited to shoot it finally. I like the idea of where the serial # are too. Baffles can be rotated also to prolong the life of the suppressor. I really didnt find any data on noise reduction but what alot of ppl mentioned is that a few db's dont matter. So I figured the design was perfect. I'm real happy with my purchase.

If you are using full power ammo they are not going to be hearing safe. You should still wear plugs.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 12:59:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are using full power ammo they are not going to be hearing safe. You should still wear plugs.

I can see that. It was my first time out with a suppressor, and it was mine. But over all my ears felt fine, and I can really appreciate the sound reduction it gives.

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:12:07 AM EDT
[#6]
The guys from Huntertown Arms hand delivered my Kestrel 5.56mm and the stores 7.62AK last week.

I am impressed with the Kestrel 5.56 for three reasons.  Number one was cost.  Two, I did not want a quick mount system.  I do not love any of the systems out there and mounts can become a considerable expense in their own right.  I use a Vortex flash suppressor as a thread protector on my AR15.  I put it on hand tight, it stays put, and it comes off by hand.  The last reason I went with the Kestrel is that the 5.56mm version uses a 100% symmetrical baffle design.  This is important for maintaining accuracy with a precision host.

I plan to get my Form 4s in this week, with any luck I will take it home before 2014.

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:37:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Before I left for Korea, I filled out the forms for a Huntertown Arms 5.56 suppressor.

Now that I got my generous travel pay deposited, I have some fun money.

I'm considering giving the wife unit the go ahead to send the forms to my dealer so it can get in the ATFs queue.

Before I do this, what is your take on screw-on 5.56 suppressors?

I like the fact that the registered part of the Kestrel 5.56 is the part closest to the threads, beings supposedly most baffle strikes happen towards the middle or end of the can.

However, I wanna make sure my $450 is going to be well-spent. You guys think this would be a nice entry into the centerfire rifle can world? FWIW, I already have an Osprey 45 and a Huntertown Kestrel .22 pending since November, so I'm good on pistol suppressors.

Pics of suppressor host in question- 11.5" Spikes Tactical:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8075/8343773090_cc2028f4d4_b.jpg

Since you already have a .45 cal & .22 cal can, Id highly recommend getting a .30 cal can.
Reasoning is, I love my 5.56mm Phantom but unless Im shooting sub .22s its still loud enough to need eye pro.
Having a .30 cal can opens a lot more options of calibers you can use.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 9:05:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Huntertown Arms has a Kestrel 308 thats shipping now, different than the Kestrel 762 (AK).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top