Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2015 9:35:57 PM EDT
Article

Spinel is a metallic mineral that is formed into a crystal that is clear. The article indicates that by weight, it's more than twice as bullet resistant as the current bullet-proof glass technology and when a bullet impacts the cracks don't propagate like they do in glass. Interesting for sure, but the part that caught my eye was that the article states it could be used for IR viewing devices. I didn't see anywhere there was a direct quote of the researchers stating this so I'm skeptical.

That being said, why is it we have to use germanium? Is it possible that there are other things out there that would work and we just haven't developed the technology? Could this "spinel" crystal really take the place of germanium in Infrared viewing devices?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:22:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Was not mentioned if it worked for LWIR or SWIR, glass works for SWIR. Most detectors for commercial thermal devices use LWIR which will not pass thru glass.
After some google searches, it appears to be good for MWIR not LWIR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top