Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 6:54:10 AM EDT

Just curious what I missed...

Why would you choose a Nalgene type bottle/pouch over the traditional 1qt canteen/pouch or vice versa?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:28:20 AM EDT
[#1]
umm  transparent, gradiations for volume, mouth is sized for use with water filters, oh yeah it doesnt scream military
 whoops

pouches
ummm   if I have a nalgene bottle then I would use a nalgene pouch, if I were using canteens then I would be using canteen pouches

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:29:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
umm  transparent, gradiations for volume, mouth is sized for use with water filters, oh yeah it doesnt scream military

And it doesn't make the water taste like "canteen"
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:31:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Just get the nalgene bottle, you'll thank us later.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:30:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Big +1
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:48:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Or if you jump em, go with the soft canteen...plus, dont know if you were ever moving out trying to drink from a nalgene bottle, you'll spill have of it on your face.
Go with the softee one quart, you can squeeze it on the go, in your mouth...
nalgene bottles are one of those poppy things that caught on...there purdy i guess.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:01:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Or if you jump em, go with the soft canteen...plus, dont know if you were ever moving out trying to drink from a nalgene bottle, you'll spill have of it on your face.
Go with the softee one quart, you can squeeze it on the go, in your mouth...
nalgene bottles are one of those poppy things that caught on...there purdy i guess.

Get the Easy Sipper it help with the slipping

ETA: Or get the OTG Bottels
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Nalgene.  Get the mentioned Easy Sipper to help with drinking on the move.  It's also a lot easier to clean thoroughly after/between uses. GSI Outdoors also makes a very nice bottle.  I actually prefer it to the Nalgene.  It's tapered a bit so it slides back into carriers easier, has some gripping grooves molded in, and a more durable strap for the top so it won't break if you hang it from a snaplink.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Nalgenes are versatile too.  You can use them to mix stuff, carry stuff, etc. and it won't absorb the taste or odors.  I know you can put boiling water into them with no problems.  I don't know about the microwave, through.  The bottle would probably be fine, but I'd worry about the cap.  

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Nalgene actually makes narrow-mouthed bottles too.  My Pur Hiker filter fits right on the narrow-mouthed ones just like it does on the wide-mouthed ones (has provisions for both)

Narrow-mouthed Nalgene.

Katadyn (formerly Pur) Hiker filter
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:26:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've allways wondered what was growing on the inside of those re-issued canteens to produce that NAAASTY taste/smell...

Probably don't want to know...
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've allways wondered what was growing on the inside of those re-issued canteens to produce that NAAASTY taste/smell...

Probably don't want to know...

I don't know, but it was enough to make me go to clothing and sales yearly to buy new ones!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:12:14 AM EDT
[#12]
What is the GSI Outdoors model called? Good post!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:24:47 AM EDT
[#13]
canteens suck!  the only benifit they have is if you have to drink with your promask on....

but even that has mostly been replaced by the camelbak  yep, they got promask adapters too!

but for non-tactical situations, Nalgene all the way.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:24:52 AM EDT
[#14]

And it doesn't make the water taste like "canteen"  Ass    

Fixed it for ya...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What is the GSI Outdoors model called? Good post!

I don't think they have a name for it.  This is from their website.

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/Logos/products.html

I picked mine up from REI.

The only negative to the small mouthed Nalgene bottles is that it makes it harder to clean thoroughly.  But since they are transparent at least you know when that is.  I like to use peroxide for disinfecting since it doesn't leave behind a flavor like even just a tiny amount of bleach does.  Baking soda does help get rid of any residual flavors usually.  A mixture of baking soda and water, let soak for a few hours and you're good to go.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:23:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The only negative to the small mouthed Nalgene bottles is that it makes it harder to clean thoroughly.  But since they are transparent at least you know when that is.  I like to use peroxide for disinfecting since it doesn't leave behind a flavor like even just a tiny amount of bleach does.  Baking soda does help get rid of any residual flavors usually.  A mixture of baking soda and water, let soak for a few hours and you're good to go.

You could boil then in water too (or just rinse with boiling water).  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:59:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:53:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Read this thread... So what's the big deal about nalgene bottles?

Good info in that link...thanks to everyone else as well.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:16:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I was in Target the other day and found a bunch of these naglene bottles, many that are listed below with tappered bottoms, sippers, etc. Good prices as well, anywhere from 3.50 to 8.50 depending on what you want, etc.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:34:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I was in Target the other day and found a bunch of these naglene bottles, many that are listed below with tappered bottoms, sippers, etc. Good prices as well, anywhere from 3.50 to 8.50 depending on what you want, etc.

Are they the same material as Nalgene (Lexan)? I have one I bought from Targhey for a buck or two, but it seems more like el cheapo regular "colored" plastic. I'd be hesitant to pour boiling water into it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#21]
They all say Lexan on them as the brand name, so I would say...Yes!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:53:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And it doesn't make the water taste like "canteen" hr

I thought that taste was spelled A-S-S... I have that same problem with the FSS water bottles that I get from the Forest Service on fires. hat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top