Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 4/23/2013 5:05:34 PM EDT
I picked up my first M91/30 a while back. I knew of the rifles but hadn't done much research on them and honestly, it was an impulse buy. Wanted a cheap fun to shoot bolt gun and that's what I got.
But after I looked it over a few times (and shot it) I decided I wanted to know a little more about my particular piece. Aside from the obvious, I still cant find out much about it. It's a 1926 Hex receiver model from Izhevsk.
It has the soviet hammer and sickle stamped above some Russian words a cannot decode and all the serial numbers, save the ones on the bayonet match up. Stock is in good shape, no dings or nicks on any of the hardware.
I checked on 7.62x54r.net, and I kind of hit a hole. I looked into the 1926-1927 guns and I came up with an "early finnish M91" but my markings do not exactly match up with the examples they provide. The rifle is about 50-51 inches long end to end. The barrel is not stepped, it is a typical straight barrel. I know pictures would help, I plan on getting on that.
Also, when sighting it in, the rear sight settings were not far off from true range estimation, but not 100% either, I dont know how accurate they were back in the day, but now I'd say the variance is about 15-20%  (80-85% accurate). Could be that the ammo they used back in the day had less ass than what we have now, but could it be that the sights are calibrated for imperial arshins, and not meters? Settings are 1-20, odd left even right in half unit increments. Imported by Century. As far as other markings, hammer and sickle are all over, along with a small star here and there, and the Izhevsk bow and arrow are prevalent as well.  
   trying to find out:
   is there anything particularly rare about this gun?
   Is there a way to tell if it was ever issued?
   Is it a modified version of an older obsolete model?
   etc.

Any info would would be appreciated.
 Thanks.
 (if I haven't included something that would be useful for Identification, I'll update)
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:20:47 PM EDT
Does your rear sight base have teeth, or is is smooth?

Is the front sight a blade, or it is a post inside a circular hood?
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:37:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/23/2013 6:11:01 PM EDT by Schmeck]
Originally Posted By BoRdErBaCoN:
Does your rear sight base have teeth, or is is smooth?

Is the front sight a blade, or it is a post inside a circular hood?

Rear sight base is smooth, and the front sight post is inside a circular hood. It is not a blade.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:06:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/23/2013 6:06:56 PM EDT by dsroten]
7.62x54r.net   They have a step by step page on figuring out everything you want to know about your rifle
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:10:29 PM EDT
It is not a Nagant.  A Russian Nagant is a revolver.  The rifle is a Mosin or a Mosin-Nagant.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:16:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/23/2013 6:17:45 PM EDT by Schmeck]
Originally Posted By TontoGoldstein:
It is not a Nagant.  A Russian Nagant is a revolver.  The rifle is a Mosin or a Mosin-Nagant.

Appreciate the correction.
Forgot about the revolver.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 2:31:07 AM EDT
The rear sight is probably in arsins. I think that is the correct spelling, or close. Sounds like you have an Ex-Dragoon. Some may call it a updated Dragoon.

Pics of the markings on the barrel in front of the receiver will help with identification.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 3:20:54 AM EDT
My girlfriend has a '26 Izzy 91/30 and I think what we concluded was that they only made dragoons that year. The dead givaway is if there is a gap under the back of the rear sight. Old style rear sights were shorter and so were the dovetails, so the tangent sight base sticks past the dovetail. So yeah, probably an ex-dragoon.
Top Top