Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2010 5:15:38 AM EDT
I'm thinking about getting into the FAL world, but unfortunately I live in a state with an AWB.  I was wondering if there are any specific ways that someone can tell the manufacturing date of an FAL.  Are all Springfield SAR 48s pre ban?  Are there any companies that ceased making FALs prior to 1994?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:44:02 AM EDT
[#1]
SAR-48's are pre ban. Post ban models are marked SAR-4800.

Other FALs that are pre ban is the Steyr/Gun South imports, a few Argie imports, Century/Enterprise/DSA kits (I think) which are still somewhat reasonable priced. The more expensive imports are from the likes of Browning and Australian inch pattern.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:44:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Id say your best bet right now is to buy a  SAR 48 pre ban. There are a few on Gunbroker pretty reasonable. If you go with a postban build, you a) wont be able to have all the evil features and b) will still have to be careful about foreign parts to comply with federal law. Right now is definitely the time to buy. You can even find some FN FALs fairly reasonable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top