Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2012 3:24:01 PM EDT
Now that I have a new hog busting rifle built, my next order of business is outfitting it to work optimally for the task. What kind of night vision sight would be appropriate to mount on a PSL? It's going to be my choice of gear for use in the day so I'm thinking it'll serve me well to be consistent using the same rifle for night as it'll be what I've had the most practice with. Is there a particular one anyone here has had luck with using? Or, conversely, are there ones I should stay away from? I'll be getting a rail mount so anything either something with its own side mount or that fits with a standard picatinny rail would work.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 4:26:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Addicted2Fish:
Now that I have a new hog busting rifle built, my next order of business is outfitting it to work optimally for the task. What kind of night vision sight would be appropriate to mount on a PSL? It's going to be my choice of gear for use in the day so I'm thinking it'll serve me well to be consistent using the same rifle for night as it'll be what I've had the most practice with. Is there a particular one anyone here has had luck with using? Or, conversely, are there ones I should stay away from? I'll be getting a rail mount so anything either something with its own side mount or that fits with a standard picatinny rail would work.

The PSL usually uses a 1PN58 or 1PN51 iirc. If you find a 1PN58 on Ebay they are usually around $300 - quite good for the price.

Anyway if you mount a normal mil std 1913 rail you can fit almost anything as you seem to anticipate. You could probably mount anything from a M845 ( around $2000 or so from TNVC - See the forum sponsor link at the top of the page ) upwards. The D740 is probably another option with a suitable tube. The sort of shooting you intend to do will define what you need. Let whoever you get it from know you're putting it on a PSL.

Regards
David

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:36:49 AM EDT
PSLs are originally equipped with Romanian LPS-M or LON-4X night sights made by IOR. The chances of getting one as roughly as slim as getting hit by a meteorite, though.
If you wanna preserve Russian look, then you have several choices - from the triple-stage Gen1+ up to Gen3s. Most of these have to be imported, though.

Gen1+ -1PN34 NSPU, 1PN58 NSPU-M, 1PN28 PPN-3
Gen2 - 1PN51 NSPU-3, 1PN93-3 SVD (PN-6K-3 Tigr), 1PN93-4 SVD (PN-6K-4),
Gen3 - 1PN111, PN-15K, PN-17K, PN-18K, PN-19K, BelOMO NV/S-9 or NV/S-18-115
and many more civvie types.

If you don't give damn, buy yourself an adapter for 1913 Picatinny and get anything US made ranging from M845 up to M646 Raptor.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:11:47 AM EDT
If you want the authentic (semi-historical) look for the PSL the older soviet units "look" good though I don't think the Romanians ever actually used them.
I use a 1pn34 on mine at the moment and for what it is it works pretty well.
The 1pn58 is a bit better as far as gen1 goes.
And the 1pn51 is quite a bit better (comparable to a pvs-4) if you can find one.
I don't have any experience with the modern gen3 russian stuff, but I bet its hard to get over on this side of the pond.

If you want something that "just works" get a picatiny rail and raptor or pvs-4.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:57:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2012 8:07:52 AM EDT by Addicted2Fish]
Excellent info, guys, thanks a ton. I'm definitely interested in avoiding stuff that won't work at all or will be eggshell fragile, so it looks like this is going to require a lot of overtime hours to save for. Again to restate my purpose I'm wanting to have an optic that will work for my PSL when hunting hogs @ 200-300 yards. I'm now wondering if I'll want a Picatinny mount instead of side rail mount so that I can move it around rather than putting that much money into something that will only work on a single rifle I own vs. everything else––I guess I'll know that once my bank account fills up to the required level.

If I were to go with a shortcut, how durable are 1PN58 tubes, in terms of how careful I need to be? Will I need to switch out the standard PSL muzzle brake for a flash hider, or do we think that it wouldn't matter? I'll likely be using handloads with Varget powder rather than standard cheap Russian surplus when hunting w/ NV on.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:12:40 PM EDT
If you want a rifle scope, take a look at either a PVS-4 or a Zeiss Orion 80/I. The both can be set up to mount up to a rail, so you can move it around to other platforms. You can mount them up to a side mount, although they are pretty heavy (PVS-4 is 4 pounds) and I am not sure how the side mounts do with weight. They are the current best buy on night vision, although the window is closing on the Orion as they are getting to the bottom of the supply of them. Get a nice IR illuminator and you can definitely do the 200-300 yard range you want.

The PVS-4 is a gen 2 unit (which can be upgraded to gen 3 for around $1500ish). It is about as tough as they get. You can find them for $1000-1500 pretty easily, sometimes quite a bit cheaper if you get lucky. Do you research on them and keep an eye out on Ebay as 2 or 3 are listed every week.

The Zeiss Orions are gen 1 surplus units. Do not mistake them for the cheap commercial gen 1 units, these perform closer to a gen 2. These are sensitive to lights and will streak/bloom is there is light where you are pointing your scope. They can also be damaged if pointed at bright light sources. Them are currently on the market for about $600. Just make sure there is a return period so you can inspect it.

One thing to keep in mind about buying on Ebay. It is definitely buyer beware. While not eveything on Ebay is damaged, everything damaged is on Ebay. I have had great luck, but have gotten a couple of bummers as well. Make sure to ask questions, particularly if there are any problems with the unit. Most will be honest when directly asked about it, but make not volunteer info if not asked. Also it helps to make sure they have a return policy. With that said, I am a gambling man and am will for the unit to be complete broken. In fact, I have a couple of units that were out and out lemons. But the other 4 or 5 units I got made up for it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:50:56 PM EDT
Both the PVS-4 and orion are good options. And can be rail mounted for a variety of platforms.
Top Top