Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Posted: 2/16/2006 10:59:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Victor]
Thought about starting a pic thread for  nv equipment.  Might help some of us decide what to get.

Let's see what they can do!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:59:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy] [#1]

IBV (In before Victor)
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:05:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lapp_Dance] [#2]
EDIT 5/18/08 - I no longer own this setup, and don't remember much of the specifics about it! Victor is the guy to ask about NV devices.

tinypic.com/m9y8fo.jpg

By the way, nobody likes a showoff Duffy!

Also IBV!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:16:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy] [#3]

Kettle, meet pot

I don't have the PVS14 anymore, so it's for illustration only, it now found a good home in Chen's safe
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:58:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: edwin907] [#4]

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:26:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By Victor:

Originally Posted By Lapp_Dance:
tinypic.com/m9y8fo.jpg

Also IBV!

Woa, first setup I've seen on an M1A.  Any problems to note with recoil from the .308? Nice pic!

+1, also interested in any recoil problems with the MUM. I've used one on an AR-10 with a muzzle brake so that doesn't count.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:54:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:57:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By tumbleweed:

Originally Posted By Victor:

Originally Posted By Lapp_Dance:
tinypic.com/m9y8fo.jpg

Also IBV!

Woa, first setup I've seen on an M1A.  Any problems to note with recoil from the .308? Nice pic!

+1, also interested in any recoil problems with the MUM. I've used one on an AR-10 with a muzzle brake so that doesn't count.

I haven't been anywere that I could fire at night with that setup. I did it for the photos for the part. There is a range close by that allows for night firing. Once the weather gets a little better, I'll see what info I can get for you.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:38:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Very nice Mr. Silvers!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I just ordered the camera-coupler, so I will take better photos once it comes. I just held my camera up to it for these.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:24:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:16:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: edwin907] [#14]
<center><table width=85% border=0><tr><td width=100% class=textQuote><hr height=1px color=black noshade>Originally Posted By Victor:
Nice pics as well!!! I need to take lessons from you and Edwin!
<hr height=1px color=black noshade>

I don't know about taking lessons from me!

Here is my first relatively sucessful PVS-14 photo. It's pathetic compared to the image you actually see through the PVS 14, but at least there is some degree of sharpness potential here.
At, as you can see, 10:38 PM, somewhat illuminated by the clock on the microwave in the kitchen (next to the dining room) and some ambient light from outside through the dining room window.
This was done holding my E-1 DSLR with 50mm f2.0 macro lens and the PVS-14 in each hand, obviously not an altogether adequate solution.  However it was pitch black in the room, you could just barely see the outline of the clock with the ambient light but couldn't tell what time it was.

I believe I need the camera adapter as well, and a 46-52mm filter adapter ring.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:58:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: edwin907] [#15]
Now here is another photo showing my mower in a very dark garage.
This time I used the 14-54 lens at 14mm (28mm 35mm equivalent). Of course, at this zoom setting it doesn't fill the screen like the 50mm macro, which is probably too much magnification.
It seems it was a lot easier to get a good result as compared to the 50mm macro (100 mm 35mm equivalent).
The auto focus also seems to have worked very well.
I'll try some other shots this evening outside (it's so nice to be off work today!).

Here is a photo of the privacy fence all the way at the back of the yard and neighbor's house on the other side.  Very very dark, overcast, raining, some ambient light from the right of the photo, and dim lights in pictured house.  Pitch black in the shadow at the bottom half of the photo.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:05:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Victor] [#16]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:19:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Does anyone have any pics of a Generation 1 device image.

Gen 1 looking through an EO Tech sight would really help.

thanks,
Herman

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By HermanSnerd:
Does anyone have any pics of a Generation 1 device image.

Gen 1 looking through an EO Tech sight would really help.

thanks,
Herman

Someone else said it best: "1st gen is like smearing vaseline on the bottom of a 7-up bottle, holding it up you your eyes and turning on a flashlight."
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:55:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: triggerfinger] [#19]
Vaseline on a 7-up bottle?  

I don't think I'd beat them that bad, my first pair of NV binocs were Russian G1, and although they weren't the greatest, I could actually see in the dark!

How does the saying go?  "In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is King"?.

Someone post the pics, may just be what some people are looking for.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:02:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Victor] [#20]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:00:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Do you guys want some pics from Soviet night vision equipment?

Spooky
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:38:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thedoctors308] [#22]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:49:52 AM EDT
[#23]
yag
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:36:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By Spooky130:
Do you guys want some pics from Soviet night vision equipment?

Spooky

Absolutely.
I would love to see a comparison pic of Gen 1 vs. Gen 2 looking at the
same object.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:35:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt_SBR] [#26]

Originally Posted By edwin907:

Nice photos.  My night vision is a SureFire flashlight.    

WOW.  Those are some great photos.  

What camera setup are you using?  

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:16:16 PM EDT
[#27]
I believe it has more to do with lighting.  Edwin and those with nice pics also know to trim their pics so they show just what they're supposed to show, no excessive and huge background with the goods taking up only 50% or less of the pics
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:20:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC88-93] [#28]
Correct me if I'm wrong but the intent of this thread is to see pictures thru the night vision equipment (pretty please with sugar on top) and not pictures of the rifle with Night vision attached.  thats where the (Lets see what they can do) part comes in.  

Thanks end of rant and now back to your regularly scheduled thread..............
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:50:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:29:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:02:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spooky130] [#31]
Here are some preliminary NV pics from my old Soviet gear.  I AM going to include pictures of them on guns because it will be a good comparison of size.  I will add more tomorrow after the battery on my camera is charged.

Right side, 1PN51

Left side, 1PN51

Front shot, notice the offset due to the standard Soviet mounting system.
You can also see the daytime adapter - simply move the little lever and you change the amount of light you let in...

I promise more pictures tomorrow!
Spooky
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:16:08 PM EDT
[#32]
... Tagged

... Got some photos through my AN-PVS7D somewhere on this machine
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:53:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: edwin907] [#33]
I've got the camera adapter for the PVS-14 thanks to one of my photography friends as well as the step down rings to adapt it to the Zuiko 50mm Macro and 14-54 lens.
While I've got a ways to go to consistenly get good sharp photos with the PVS-14 and E-1 DSLR
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:18:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Boom] [#34]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#35]
These pictures have been great. Thanks to all that have posted.

I still want to see images through a Generation 1 device for comparison.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:39:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: edwin907] [#36]
Here is a D-760 photo, and, no, Victor, I didn't take out the lonely fire hydrant.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:14:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:35:07 AM EDT
[#38]
I think a good set of shots would be the same scene with and without night vision.  That would really demonstrate how effective these devices are.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:18:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: edwin907] [#39]
<center><table width=85% border=0><tr><td width=100% class=textQuote><hr height=1px color=black noshade>Originally Posted By dfowler21:
I think a good set of shots would be the same scene with and without night vision.  That would really demonstrate how effective these devices are.
<hr height=1px color=black noshade>

Excellent idea.

I think Victor has already done a few like that, I'll have to see what I can cook up.

Back on a "gear" note, what to do with all that extra room in the D-760 Pelican case?

Make room for the PVS-14, compass, PRI mount, & eyecup.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:24:36 AM EDT
[#40]
These pictures have been great. Thanks to all that have posted.

I still want to see images through a Generation 1 device for comparison.

Please, please, pretty please with sugar on top, will somebody please post some Generation
1 images no matter how bad they look so us poor folks can see the difference?

I promise I'll shut up if someone does post some Gen. 1 pics.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:09:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Gen 1? Are we talking Gen 1 American or Gen 1 Russky? There's quite a bit of difference, and to be honest the 1st gen stuff is pretty useable. I don't have an American 1st gen device, but I've looked through a few. Hell, most ARFCOMMERs could look through a set of PVS5's, and be told they were the latest and greatest and not know the difference. Honest.

You can get caught up in having the latest and greatest and hand somebody a lot of money when something a little more realistic for your needs would get the job done handily. Here's how the NVD experience has been for me:

Bought a Russky Gen1 goggle in 1994 for $400. Hated it. didn't work very well, and was painful to wear. one tube got dimmer with use.

Bought a 51lpmm PVS7B for $1400 in 2004 that was sold as an ITT5001, but i think was put together from parts. It worked VERY well and I was happier than shit. Until,....

I got unengaged from my fiance, had a stack of cash laying around, and came across a steal for a pair of Pinnacle-tubed PVS7D's a year later for $2000 on Ebay. This is as good as it gets as far as tube performance goes. I sold the 51lpmm goggles to a buddy of mine (also and ar15.com member) who is happier than a pig in shit with them and kept the better pair. The only reason I kept them was that NVD's were getting scarce based on info learned here on the board and they were pedigreed "Deltas" and worth a lot more than a no label assembled from parts tabletop built goggle.

I will tell you to this day that the $600 price difference (imagine if I would have paid full retai-$4300 at the time!) WAS NOT WORTH IT. Yes, that's right. The older spec PVS7B's from the mid 1990's did everything I needed of them and more, and the slight increase in brightness, clarity etc. simply wasn't worth the small difference I had seen.

There are several morals to this story:

All Russky NVD's are junk until you get to the newer 2nd gen stuff, and then they cost as much as used American shit that will last longer and is supportable.

Don't get caught up in the hype-if you are serious about getting a quality NVD, just about anything American will satisfy you-The military wasn't exactly hamstung when we used 2nd gen PVS5's, you won't be either! Look at how serious your needs are, and how much having the 'mostest, 'mo betta' is to you, and don't be afraid to buy something less than top of the line.

Finally, Buy Cheap, Buy Twice. I had to learn the hard way that having the best wasn't "best" for me, but you will notice that I lost $400 on the initial 1st gen goggle, at a time when PVS7's were $2,000 to purchase new (1994) It took me 10 years to get another pair of goggles, and the total investment was what I would have spent if I had just splurged out in the first place. The end result was that I knew what I wanted, and deprived myself of use of the goggles for a DECADE because I tried to do it on the cheap. If you have the kind of personality that has to have the best, disregard the last two paragraphs of info and just go out and get what you want-you'll be happier in the long run. If not, get something cheaper-it will still be good gear!

Dave
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:57:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Great post above, Dave.

Thank you for the info.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:45:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fight4yourrights] [#43]

DA Torch - by Victor:

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:24:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:59:00 PM EDT
[#46]
The D-760 is very impressive, may have to fork over some cash real soon!

Nice pics all!  Keep them coming.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:53:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Well, my milspec 3x is at the post office, but I didn't get it picked up today.  Here's my little night fighting weapon.  It doesn't have all the extra cool stuff, that some do, but it's got something none of the other posted rifles do, I think.  I'll get a better outside shot when I get the 3x.  Hope you like it.   BTW, the blue "tactical" string is what I use to keep the cap handy.  Guess I need a newer more tactical string.  LOL

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:30:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: edwin907] [#48]

Originally Posted By v188:
Well, my milspec 3x is at the post office, but I didn't get it picked up today.  Here's my little night fighting weapon.  It doesn't have all the extra cool stuff, that some do, but it's got something none of the other posted rifles do, I think.  I'll get a better outside shot when I get the 3x.  Hope you like it.   BTW, the blue "tactical" string is what I use to keep the cap handy.  Guess I need a newer more tactical string.  LOL

tinypic.com/t52hxl

Looks like a rock 'n roller to me!
Yes, get some photos with the 3X, I've debating on whether to get one myself.

Very nice!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:31:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Victor] [#49]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:00:44 PM EDT
[#50]
I just picked up my milspec 3x lense.  WOW!!  I got a chance to look around in my yard, but I've got another big storm coming, and I can't get pictures right now.  I'll try, but I'm guessing Victor and others take better pictures.

Now, my NVD capable M16 isn't complete, I need a different flash hider (can't get suppressor in MO), and I need to get an IR laser.  For now, I think I'll get a mount for the IR flashlight and put it on the rail.  I've got a LaRue BattleLight for visible light right now.  I'm running a Vltor rail and CMMG upper.  I also need to come up with a better BUIS.   (Any suggestions, based upon the LaRue rig?)

I am really ASTOUNDED at the quality of the PVS14 with an EOTech!!!

Anyway, hope you enjoy my multicolored toy. (And uber tactical lense blue string)

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top