Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 2/13/2006 4:38:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/13/2006 4:39:33 PM EST by HMC]

I apologize in advance--I have never bought a class III/NFA gun before and I have tons of questions.

I am looking to by a SBR'd BW5 with a suppressor from a gentleman from another state. From what little I know, I am assuming the process should go something like this (please correct me if I am wrong)

1. My class III dealer sends the seller his paperwork.
2. The seller faxes the Form 3 transfer to the BATF, and once it clears (how long does this take?), he ships the gun to my dealer.
3. My dealer does a Form 4 (on both the gun & suppressor?), which I sign and get signed by a Sheriff, Chief of Police, etc.
4. I return the form 4 to my dealer, along with 2 passport-sized photos (does any photo count, or do they have to be official), 2 fingerprint cards (where do you get these?), a citizenship authorization (???), and a check made to BATF for $400 (two stamps).
5. All this crap gets snail-mailed to BATF, and in (a month or two?) I pick up my gun.

Does all that sound right?

In your guys experience, how long does the whole process usually take? Is there a chance that I will forget about my gun before it's truly mine? :(

Again, sorry for all the questions. I am trying to get a idea of how all this goes before I take the plunge.

Any other advice to make this easier would be greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:57:52 AM EST
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:18:52 AM EST
That's about right.

If it's already in a delers' hands out of state, then what you describe is correct.

You get the fingerprint cards from the ATF. You will need to file 2 form 4's. One for the SBR, and one for the suppressor... each transfer is $200. Each Form 4 needs your photos attached and signed by your CLEO. Each Form 4 needs to filed in duplicate, so that means four signatures. You include 2 sets of fingerprint cards and one citizenship form along with your check for $400.

I just had a Form 4 approved within 4 weeks of me mailing it to the BATFE.

When you mail in the forms, they go to Chicago, where they deposit your check. Then, the forms are delivered to West Virginia, where the forms are loaded into their system, and they go "pending." It usually takes a couple weeks from check cashing to "go pending." Then, depending on your examiner, it could be approved in a few days or a few months.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:58:45 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 11:59:08 AM EST by HMC]
Thanks for the information CZ-75Jeff. Kinda sounds like it is kinda the luck of the draw as far as how long the process takes.

More silly questions (sorry):

My class III dealers should have the proper forms on hand, correct?

The fingerprint cards come from the ATF. How do you go about getting these?

On the citizenship form...where/how do you get this?

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:12:29 PM EST
If the SBR and suppressor are on out-of-state Form 4's, you're looking at $800 in taxes. If they are already on Form 3's, then it'll only be $400.

My dealer always supplies all the forms and fingerprint cards.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:18:59 PM EST
They are on out-of-sate Form 3's. So the $400 you speak of is for the tax stamps, correct?

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:24:15 PM EST

Originally Posted By HMC:
They are on out-of-state Form 3's. So the $400 you speak of is for the tax stamps, correct?


If they'd have been on Form 4's, there would have been a $400 transfer to your in-state dealer, then $400 more for the transfer from your dealer to you.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:51:36 PM EST
Cool. Thanks for the info again guys.

I guess I'm gonna do it. A MP5 (clone) should never have a long barrel, it's just wrong. Plus I had always dreamed of having a suppressor for one.

Luckily CO is a state that allows all, so now's the time.

I'll post pics and give a range report in the H&K forum when it becomes mine (hopefully sometime this year!)

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:46:31 PM EST
Go for it! Exercise your rights!

Glad we could help!

You can also google "titleII.com"

The site has a bunch of ggod info, and forms you can fill out online (PDF)
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:50:17 PM EST
What about the LEO letter signoff, does it matter if you get one signed by where you mailing address is within the state which is different then the physical address?
Top Top