Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 6/6/2008 3:15:18 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/6/2008 3:19:11 AM EST by shrikefan]
I was talking to a dealer who said he had a lead on a MG that was possibly pre 34. The widow did not know of any paperwork for the gun. The dealer said he quietly declined to make an offer since the legality could not be confirmed.

My question is: Is there any way to check NFA or other records to verify transferability? Kinda a GUNFAX (like carfax) if you will.

ETA - I'm thinking of a letter saying yay or nay. I would prefer to not be dragged away hearing "vee vill make yew talk".
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:12:03 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/6/2008 4:12:42 AM EST by tony_k]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:25:07 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/6/2008 4:25:22 AM EST by shrikefan]
tony_k,

Thanks.

Now I know why you shoot full auto's. So you can empty your mags fast and get back to reading up on NFA laws/rules/procedures/etc..
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:12:06 AM EST
FWIW I've had the BATFE tell me if a particular firearm was on the registry or not. I called them up and told them I was looking to buy it and wanted to verify if it was on the list, I had to give the serial #, caliber, make & model.

I talked to the guy that answers the phones, not the examiner, and he said they dont like to give out information about the forms but they can / will give out "a little" bit of information if I'm a potential buyer.

None of that is backed up by anything other than the fact that I got info on a gun that I was going to buy ONE time. It could have been the only time in history it happend and potentially it may never happen again.

The BATFE consistently inconsistent like that
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:35:45 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:55:14 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/6/2008 6:56:56 AM EST by shrikefan]

Originally Posted By tony_k:
Originally Posted By almega:
FWIW I've had the BATFE tell me if a particular firearm was on the registry or not. I called them up and told them I was looking to buy it and wanted to verify if it was on the list, I had to give the serial #, caliber, make & model.

I talked to the guy that answers the phones, not the examiner, and he said they dont like to give out information about the forms but they can / will give out "a little" bit of information if I'm a potential buyer.

None of that is backed up by anything other than the fact that I got info on a gun that I was going to buy ONE time. It could have been the only time in history it happend and potentially it may never happen again.

The BATFE consistently inconsistent like that

I've seen lots of rules get accidentally bent or broken at ATF (my faves are FOIA requests where they forgot to redact some of the info on previous owners). So you might luck into someone who will verify that the gun is registered.

The Very Big Problem is ...

If the MG turns out to not be registered, you have just told BATFE that you know where there is an unregistered MG. They tend to follow up on that sort of tip. I'd rather not have that sort of encounter with a BATFE field agent.

This is what I was seeing if it could be avoided by my OP.

I guess it could be done through a lawyer with the atty/client privilege stuff.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:00:37 AM EST
I would think with computers and all they would be able to make a viewable list much like getting a new phone number would work. Something that could be searched ahphabetically(manuf) or numerically(sn's).
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:21:13 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:27:35 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/6/2008 7:47:41 AM EST by shrikefan]

Originally Posted By shrikefan:
I would think with computers and all they would be able to make a viewable list much like getting a new phone number would work. Something that could be searched ahphabetically(manuf) or numerically(sn's).

BATFE has always testified in court that the NFA Registry is 100% accurate. But government auditors, acting on orders in the late 1990s from a Congressional committee, found that it was barely 70% accurate. Congress gave BATFE a coupla million to fix things; today, ATF says that all the errors have been fixed.

Releasing a list would uncover just how accurate the Registry is today.

Do you believe BATFE will ever do so?

ETA - Mods please make sure humor is kept in GD. Oh wait....
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:31:06 AM EST

BATFE has always testified in court that the NFA Registry is 100% accurate. But government auditors, acting on orders in the late 1990s from a Congressional committee, found that it was barely 70% accurate. Congress gave BATFE a coupla million to fix things; today, ATF says that all the errors have been fixed.

Releasing a list would uncover just how accurate the Registry is today.

Do you believe BATFE will ever do so?

ETA - Mods please make sure humor is kept in GD. Oh wait....

We assure you that the NFA Registery is 100% correct, No errors here! You dont need to check because we already did!
Top Top