Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2007 6:23:44 AM EDT
I have not really decided if I want to do this but doing quarterly taxes, state and local taxes, and all the other nonsense for my Corp is just a major PITA given the Corp made a whopping $3k last year .

I am debating if I want to restructure, if I can, from a full C-Corp to an S-Corp and just put this income on my personal taxes or I may just disolve the Corp.  I started the Corp when I was laid off and I was going to start a business and be done with working for someone else but then I was made an offer I could not refuse.

One of the bigger reasons I have been putting off a decision is because the 8 or so NFA items that I have that are on Form 4s in the Corp name (4 MGs, 1 SBR, 3 Supressors).  I know we can do a Tax Free transfer when a person dies.  

Is there also a similar mechanism where if a Corp disolves that I can do a tax free transfer to say a Trust or possibly a former execuative of the Corp (I am president and CEO - also only person in the Corp other then my wife ).

I am just getting tired of the paperwork and cost and while the Corp had it's benifits at one time, I am growing tired of the extra work that comes with it.  My Accountant costs me more then I make
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:02:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Corp maintenance was one of the reasons I went the Trust route.

:-(
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:15:23 AM EDT
[#3]
What happens when one corp buys another?  If you create an LLC (one time $125 fee to the state) can the initial assets of Corp A become the property of Corp B?
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:44:25 AM EDT
[#4]
An LLC can buy assets from a Corp, but they will still have to pay a transfer fee.

ETA: But once the assets belong to the LLC, the Corp can be dissolved. If the LLC buys all of the Corp's shares, you will still have to deal with maintaining the Corporation.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:56:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:58:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Corp maintenance was one of the reasons I went the Trust route.

:-(

I want to keep NFA at my family's place in Florida and that's the reason I'm going to use a trust.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#7]
S versus C Corporations is an IRS distinction, not a legal one, so changing to an S Corp will not change the status of your corporation to anyone but the IRS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top