Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2006 9:11:13 PM EDT
Considering getting an NEF.  I read a few docs online that spoke of having the rifle sent back to the factory for additional barrels to be fitted, and the opportunity to have a free trigger job done at that time, bringing the trigger to 3-3.5 lbs.  

I'd like to start with either .17 HMR or .17 Mach 2, not yet having a rifle chambered in either caliber, but I've not kept up on these small calibers so I'm not sure about such things as ballistic performace and pricing on said ammo.

Does anyone have an NEF?  Do you like it?  I've shot a friend's in .22 LR and it was quite the little shooter.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:42:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a survivor model in 223, very accurate . I regret that I sold it but I was short on cash. Only certain recievers can be used with certain caliber barrels. I used to know when I was a member of the now defunct H&R forums.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:56:41 AM EDT
[#2]
NEF makes some good stuff.  I've never shot their rifles but my first gun was an NEF 20ga.  
Go for it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:55:52 AM EDT
[#3]
My wife killed 4 deer with a 243 handi-rifle this past fall.  She has more time to hunt than me.....  It is a very good rifle.  I have thought about getting one in 308.  You sure can't beat the price...

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:12:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought the factory would not do trigger jobs anymore. Am I mistaken? There are directions on the greybeard board, and other places, on a do it yourself trigger job, but I have never done it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:58:33 AM EDT
[#5]

That is my .17 MkII Sportster and it is an awesome plinker.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:13:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I had one in 22-250 years ago, it was a very good shooter easily going .75 MOA with the right ammo. One problem kept popping up though, under heavier handloads the action would open when fired. Never had the problem with factory amm and no, I wasn't loading over what the books were listing.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Had a .223 Survivor. Great rifle. One note, unless they have changed their receivers, you cannot get centerfire barrels fitted to a rimfire receiver. Has to do with the firing pin location.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:21:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the bull barrelled variant of the .17 hmr it is a fine addtion to any gun safe.

One thing to take note of is that you should take care when mounting your optics.  Because of the design of the rifle itself high mounts are required but just high enough to clear the hammer, any higher and it throws your tarjectory adjustments to hell. I speak from experience... When I first got mine I bought the Extra high mounts and zeroed it at 30 yds then fired at 100yds and the bullet went over the target with a height difference of at least 6" between aimpoint and impact.  Switched out for the high mounts and cured it up immediately.

BTW longest shot I made with it was a little over 140yds bullseyed a crow sitting on a feed trough.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#9]
my local gun shop has a used 30/30 Handi-Rifle i'm thinkin about getting . . i want one with fixed sights though - and maybe a spare fitted barrel in 45/70
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I had one in 45/70 about 10 years ago, it was a great little gun. Sorry I got rid of it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#11]
  I had a .223 in a Bull barrel. It was very accurate and went bang without fail.  I sold it at a profit to pay for other toys.

I'd buy another one if I had a need for an inexpensive varmint rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top