Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/26/2002 6:29:08 PM EDT
I finnally got around to sighting in me new 7mm Remington Mag Savage 110.

First impression was that the stock was too short for me, 5'10" 185 muscular build. I found a 1" piece of scrap oak wood, stained it black and put it between the stock and recoil pad. Seemed to help it fit a little better. Does not look too tacky.

I took it to the range and after getting it sighted was modestly surprised at how well it shot. While I am only capable of mediocrity ie 1-3 inch groups at 100 yds through the 3X9 Simmons scope that came with the gun, the gun is capable of much more. I think it is probably capable of MOA or better based on where my shots ended up when I pulled the trigger. Wish I was a better shooter.

The recoil is more than a 30:06, but not as bad as 3 inch slugs through a Mossburg. Need to keep the gun tight against you shoulder and your eye away from the scope rim, and you will do just fine. I wore a T-shirt and the recoil pad supplied. The gun weighs in at about 7lbs.

At some point I will drag my chrony out, and chrony the Winchester SuperX 150gr bullets that I am shooting.

All in all, for the price I paid, $299 brand new for a regular Savage 110 package, I was impressed with the accuracy for such a cheap gun.

I think the intended use was for hunting and it appears like it will do the job nicely. No reliability issues, the bolt is fast and smooth. The stock looks cheap, but it is bedded, and does not touch the barrel per the business card test.

I was not aware of this but in the early 70s, 7mm Remington mags held records for accuracy out to 1000yds.

Hope it helps anybody who might be considering a Savage 110.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 5:34:00 AM EDT
I bought a 110pkg 2yrs. ago(30-06).
Had to send the scope back to Simmons,the reticule was busted.They sent a new one back,no charge.
From a make-shift rest at 100yds you could cover 4 shots with a quarter.
Yes it surprised me that a rifle that is only $300.00 had that accuracy out of the box with a trigger that sucked as bad as it did.
Since then I have had the trigger done and put a "Nikon Buckmaster" scope on it.
Did take a 8pt buck at 200yds. last year.
Enjoy the gun. GLOCK-23
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 5:58:44 AM EDT
Savage is the most underrated firearm in the marketplace IMHO. VERY reasonably priced, and shoot like a millon bucks. I own 5 different configurations, mostly varmint weight stuff. All will shoot better than MOA with proper handloads. My son has a 110 package gun in 270 Win that will shoot 5 Nosler Ballistic tips into 1/2. This with the junk Simmons scope. Get a trigger job, or replace it with a Sharps Shooters Supply or Rifle Basix.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 6:52:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/27/2002 6:52:21 AM EDT by noah]

Originally by HVWTECK1:
Savage is the most underrated firearm in the marketplace IMHO. VERY reasonably priced, and shoot like a millon bucks.

Amen!

No-frills, no reflective polyurethane, just impressive out of box performance at a great value. American Rifleman did a feature on Savage a couple years ago when Scott Mayer (??, IIRC) went there and "built his own".

Noah
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 7:16:18 AM EDT
I bought one in 30-06 15 years ago.Love it! Speer 125gn.TNT at 200 yds.less than 3/4 in. One hell of a ground hog gun.However heaver deersize bullets will only groupe 2in.at 100 yds. O'well it was never ment to be a target rifle. Your factory triger is adjustable. Set mine to 2 1/4 lbs it is sweet. The public library has a gunsmithing book with very spesfic details on how to do it.Enjoy your new toy.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 5:15:57 PM EDT
Have 4 savage bolt guns.....yes..they all come with different triggers....these ARE adjustable......each one is a great shooter.....the last one a 223....AFTER I replaced that simmons scope...(great on a 22)..is a fantastic chuck getter.....watched a special on pbs about gunmaking.....they were at the savage plant for part of the documentory.....it showed how meticulous they are about the barrels......no doubt....one of the best $ values out there.........
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 4:11:16 PM EDT
After reading some of the responses, I was wondering about the quality of the provided Simmons scope. The adjustments were very easy to move, not a good sign on a small magnum rifle, and the adjustments were not even, ie 1/4 click could be 1/8 of an inch to 1/2 an inch. I had to shoot a few extra shells in getting both the right and left zero as well as up and down because of over compensation. I figure I will use it till it doesn't hold zero any more. But I can say that it has coated optics and it is bright sharp at 100 yds which is more than I can say about most $40 scopes!

I spent a little more time and made a new stock extension, this time I put 1/4 inch piece of moderate soft shoe rubber on top of a 3/4 inch piece of oak, painted it matte black. It fits much better, I can now get my head down on the stock without being all scrunched up. Recoil is much much more tolerable, almost like a 30:06. Looks very nice.

Like many of you, looks are more than decieving, more bang for the buck than any other rifle I have shot. I am glad I bought it!
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 12:00:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/30/2002 12:01:25 PM EDT by gunnutt]
Had to reply to this one. I've had a 7mm mag since the early '90's and LOVE it. It'll shoot sub-moa groups all day with Hornady 140gr and Winchester 160gr. This is as long as I do my part and don't flinch. It DOES kick like a drunk mule. I have been looking for the past few years to replace the stock (getting beat up after sooo.. many deer seasons) and maybe a brake to calm the kick. BTW, my scope busted after about the first twenty rounds. I have a Simmons 44mag on it now. Works well. Hell of a good gun for the price.

Jim
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 12:12:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By P226:

I spent a little more time and made a new stock extension, this time I put 1/4 inch piece of moderate soft shoe rubber on top of a 3/4 inch piece of oak, painted it matte black. It fits much better, I can now get my head down on the stock without being all scrunched up. Recoil is much much more tolerable, almost like a 30:06. Looks very nice.

Like many of you, looks are more than decieving, more bang for the buck than any other rifle I have shot. I am glad I bought it!

Red Oak or White Oak?

Red Oak is a fairly porous wood despite it's hardness and absorbs water like no-one's business. You need to seal the devil out of it to reduce moisture absorbtion. It also splits beautifully when dry. not necessarily a great thing for a part thats put under recoil stresses and is pierced by two buttplate screws.

White oak is stronger, non-porous and more stable, but it's still oak.

Walnut would be a superior choice in natural wood, or you could go with a synthetic spacer system to lengthen things up. Hard rubber would be a good choice there since it would provide additional shock absorbtion. Otherwise, phenolics are a nice alternative, readily available at woodworking machinery stores (as router plate blanks) and can be drilled and machined pretty easily. Phenolic is also pretty much immune to moisture and most chemicals.

Watch wood inserts though, regardless of the species, as wood isn't as strong in this particular sort of an application. The short grain length etc. plays more to the weaknesses of wood rather than it's strengths.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 9:06:24 PM EDT
I used red oak, I think it was #2 red oak flooring scrap from putting down a wood floor a couple of years ago. I sealed it with tung oil sanded the tung oil and then painted it matte black.

I didn't know that red oak is prone to splitting. I could come up with a piece of walnut. I like the idea of using a phenolic spacer since the stock is already about that color anyways and would be almost completly scratch resistant. I mostly chose the red oak because it was laying around the house, I had the tools to shape it, seal it and then paint it, the only thing spent was part of an hour shaping and a few minutes here and there with the tung oil and paint.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:55:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2002 7:57:51 AM EDT by Polyak]
A friend of mine had this same 7 Mag Savage package for a few years (sold it last year). It was a good shooting rifle, but we didn't like the recoil too much at all.

We did improve the recoil drastically though. The buttstock is hollow. We removed the buttpad and put some shot pellets in a baggy and stuffed it in the stock. We kept playing with how much to put in there, would put a little in, shoulder the weapon to feel for good balance, and then add or decrease the shot pellets.

After we decided on a good balance, we shot a little Great Stuff spray foam insulation into the hollow cavity(this was too keep the shot pellets from rolling around), and then sprinkled some of the pellets into it, then another layer, and then anohter layer, and so on.

We ended up with a VERY well balnced rifle, that was also a little bit heavier than stock, so it actually lowered the felt recoil a bit more than expected. This was an easy improvement, and overall made the gun feel and shoot much better for us.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 9:50:22 AM EDT
I heard about the shot pellet from somebody else, sounds like a good idea. From what a couple of you guys are saying, it helped balance out the rifle, it seems that it is a little barrel heavy. There is foam in the stock already, so replacing it with that insta-foam stuff seems logical. Put the shot in the stock with a 1 inch rubber extension, and a recoil pad would probably really reduce the recoil.

I am trying different things to get the stock to fit me a little better, which helps reduce the recoil considerably, the lead shot idea should help as well. Its the only minor complaint I really have about the fire arm.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 1:39:25 PM EDT
If the scope that came with your gun is anything like the one that came with mine it will make a great paperweight. Save up for a "GOOD" scope and you will be amazed how well that rifle will shoot. Also don't mount your good scope in those crappy mounts that came with it.Leupold scope and mounts are well worth the money.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 2:03:07 PM EDT
Savages are about the most accurate out of the box rifle you can buy. Their method for installing barrels is probably a big part of the reason. They can be screwed in by hand & adjusted for headspace, then they are locked down by a lock ring, similar to an AR15.Savage has the highest rating in the industry for the bore being concentric to the bolt & receiver. This also is a plus for accuracy.Also, extractors can be replaced in less than a minute with no special tools. Put the best scope you can afford on it & you won't be dissapointed.
Top Top