Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2002 4:48:14 PM EDT
Is this a Ruger recall or what?  I just boutght a 6 mm Ruger rifle, and it fires without touching the trigger!   Whats going on?
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#1]
That can't be good.  If its not already a Ruger recall, I'd tell them about it ASAP.  They'll take care of you.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 4:58:14 PM EDT
[#2]
son i hope you brought that rifle back to the dealer you bought it from and they in turn sent it back to the manufacturer!
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#3]
have we heard of this happening?   Im going to return it or something, but is this a common thing for Ruger?  Should I be worried about this happening after it has been fixed??  I'm pissed!!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#4]
IS the rifle a first gen m-77?  If so, there was a recall in the early 80s.  Mark-II havn't been known for this.  Either way, I'd talk to dealer.  ZT
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 5:36:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw a news story about these (I believe they were Rugers, but I may be wrong). They paraded around a bunch of morons who blew body parts off, were injured, or whatever because they were too stupid to practice basic firearms safety.

It seemed like they were suggesting that guns need to be regulated or banned or something like that.

Personally, I think the guys they paraded around shouldn't own guns if they had the gun aimed at themselves when they took the safety off.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Ruger is known to stand behind their products, regardless of age, call them and they'll do what's right by you.

7th
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 10:25:37 PM EDT
[#7]
well.  i did a little research on this gun and found that it has been modified.  Its set up to be a sniper rifle.  the safety has been deactivated and the bore has been modified as well.  Anyone know or heard of a ppc bore?  Supposivly if i would have fired this gun with 6 mm bullets,  it would have blown up or something.  Anyone know where to find these special rounds made for this gun.  Any info would be helpful
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I have rugers, but this problem sounds like much like the rem 700 problems your trigger pull is set way too low so when you cock it and then take the safety off it fires! you could probably do the same if you cocked it then bumped in on the ground! if its new take it to the dealer if not to a gun smith if not then see if it has adjustment screws on the trigger! Then see if any adjustments can be made(usally two screw adjustments one for backlash,one for weight pull)  See a gun smith!  bob cole
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 11:08:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Added take it to a smith if its not new ,as you could jack around and accidently mess with the sear and this is adjusted at factory  ..  bob cole
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 5:21:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
well.  i did a little research on this gun and found that it has been modified.  Its set up to be a sniper rifle.  the safety has been deactivated and the bore has been modified as well.  Anyone know or heard of a ppc bore?  Supposivly if i would have fired this gun with 6 mm bullets,  it would have blown up or something.  Anyone know where to find these special rounds made for this gun.  Any info would be helpful

Your seller is a jackass.  "Sniper rifle" with a deactivated safety?  And what you have is 6mm PPC, not 6mm whatever-you-thought-it-was.  Sounds like someone tried to build themselves a benchrest rifle and pawned it off on you.  6mm PPC is a benchrest target cartridge...you need to handload them to get their full potential, and (honestly, no disrespect intended) if you didn't already know all that, you should sell the thing and get a regular rifle in a more common caliber...you'll be happier, the ammo is cheaper, and you'll never know the difference accuracy-wise.

QS
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 6:07:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I've seen only two instances of a Ruger firing when the safety is taken off.

1) Aftermarket parts are installed that don't fit right.
2) Someone tried to lighten the trigger by grinding on the hammer and/or sear and screwed it up.

Deactivated safety?  Sounds like BS to me.  I wouldn't waste my time on a modified gun you so I recommend you get your money back.

Shok
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 6:49:31 AM EDT
[#12]
The guns with the safety failures would be the Remington model 700s.  They recalled alot of them in the late 80's and early 90's.  If I remember correctly it was the ADL line mainly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top