Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/21/2006 10:37:17 AM EDT
I picked up a Strider SNG off Ebay for $350 which isn't bad as most places have them for about $400. It's a Gen 6 with the Hinderer Lock Bar Stabilizer. I put it next to my old Benchmade Emerson CQC7, which I've had for about 9 years, for some pictures. Before anyone mentions it, no digs on the blade sharpening on the CQC7. Before I had my sharpening stone I took it to an "expert" at a knife store to sharpen it. That's what I got :( Still works great and is sharp but just not pretty. I carry it at work as a firefighter so it gets beat around anyways.

Back to the Strider. As you can see from the pics the Striders is about the same size as the CQC7, which to me is about perfect for every day carry. I was going to get an SMF but decided against it because it is a bigger knife. I'm glad I did because the SNG is perfect size for me. If I wanted a combat folder then the SMF would be it but as an everyday carry the SNG is a much betetr option in my opinion.

They are also about the same weight in the hand. The Strider though seems to be built much tougher. Thicker blade, thicker liner lock and G-10 and lock up is super tight. The Strider is also very sharp from the factory. I could shave the hairs off the back of my hand. Only down side to the Strider was the lack of a thumb stud which I like better than the hole but it's not that big of a deal. All in all I'm very happy with my purchase and would recommend the Strider to anyone looking for a high end folder. Here's the pics.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:26:31 PM EDT
Your SNG is a beauty, great score!

I'm still trying to decide if I like the SNG or the SMF better. I just might have to buy both if I can't decide...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:21:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/21/2006 6:27:04 PM EDT by Rob01]

Originally Posted By Yojimbo:
I'm still trying to decide if I like the SNG or the SMF better. I just might have to buy both if I can't decide...

Thanks. I wish I could get both. Maybe someday. I've held both and the SMF is a bigger feeling knife. I've been carrying the SNG all day and I like it's size in the pocket. I'd suggest getting the SNG first and then getting an SMF. It's probably what I'm going to do once I come up with more money

Edited to add: Look at this thread over at Sigforum.com in thier knife section. It's great for showing a comparison of the Strider blades including the SNG and SMF. Strider Comparison
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:22:24 PM EDT
Very nice. You'll have to let us know how it performs and how you like it deployment wise as it is a tip up carry and your Benchmade was configured for tip down.

I really like that Benchmade/Emerson CQC-7 too. I have a 2000 model Emerson CQC-7 and it is a great knife, but the Benchmade version seemed more solid to me when I have handled them. Mine is very tough, but there was just a little extra heft to the Benchmade version. Great pair.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:45:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By lefthandblack:
Very nice. You'll have to let us know how it performs and how you like it deployment wise as it is a tip up carry and your Benchmade was configured for tip down.

Shouldn't be a big problem because my off duty carry knife is an Emerson Commander which is tip up so I'm kind of used to it.

Actually I've never felt an Emerson CQC7 next to my Benchmade but now I want to find one. I was also reading about how the older Commanders are better than the newer ones as they are being made with thinner liners and other changes. I have a 98 Commander and it seems like people say that was the good year to have. I need to find someone with a 2000 or 2004 and see what the differences are.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:42:57 AM EDT
Looks awesome...but what makes it worth $350?

I hear people rant on and on about striders, and they DO look like awesome knives; but what makes ANY folding knife worth $350?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:14:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Rob01:

Originally Posted By lefthandblack:

Shouldn't be a big problem because my off duty carry knife is an Emerson Commander which is tip up so I'm kind of used to it.

Actually I've never felt an Emerson CQC7 next to my Benchmade but now I want to find one. I was also reading about how the older Commanders are better than the newer ones as they are being made with thinner liners and other changes. I have a 98 Commander and it seems like people say that was the good year to have. I need to find someone with a 2000 or 2004 and see what the differences are.

Thats what I heard about Emersons for awhile too, but some of the newest Commanders I am seeing seem to have thicker liners than ones from a couple years ago. My friend actually has a 98 model Commander and the liners are a little thicker than some of the examples that I have seen. I always found the lockup on Emerson's to be very solid anyways, so Im not sure how much of a difference this would make.

Have fun with your blade! Got any more pics?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:34:00 PM EDT
No more pics now but maybe I'll take a few and post them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:46:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WeaselUnit:
Looks awesome...but what makes it worth $350?

I hear people rant on and on about striders, and they DO look like awesome knives; but what makes ANY folding knife worth $350?

What makes a Strider worth $350? Absolutely nothing! Strider has to be the most over priced knife on the market in all the history of knives. There are many many knives to be had for 1/8th the price of a Strider that will do anything the Strider can do and more.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:29:49 AM EDT
If you don't like them, don't buy them. There's lots of stuff in this world that is overpriced in someones eyes but others like them. I sold a bunch of stuff that was in my gun room and had the money and always wanted one so I bought it. I'm happy and that's all that counts to me
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:31:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Rob01:
If you don't like them, don't buy them. There's lots of stuff in this world that is overpriced in someones eyes but others like them. I sold a bunch of stuff that was in my gun room and had the money and always wanted one so I bought it. I'm happy and that's all that counts to me

I like them but but for the materials and labor involved to make a Strider they are over priced by a country mile!! They should be more around the $150-250 range.
Page Armory » Blades
Top Top