Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2013 10:54:18 AM EDT
Just got her in, this thing is f*&#ing outstanding! Put some troy BUIS on there along with a Eotech EXPS2/G33 combo and a surefire M300. Can't wait to break her in at the range tomorrow!

" />

" />

" />

" />

" />

" />
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:06:40 AM EDT
[#1]
you got all the hard to get goodies
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:35:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Is that mini chess set glass, or plastic?

Oh, and nice rifle.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:48:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Lol, it's glass.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is that mini chess set glass, or plastic?

Oh, and nice rifle.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's a couple of more pics

" />

" />

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 6:18:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Damned nice rifle, makes me wish Ida gotten a fde myself instead of black, I'm going to have to color mine for sure lol
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I know you haven't been to the range but how's are the Troys and EOTech together?  I wanted to add both to mine for a similar setup.  Do you still get a good cheek weld?

How will you sight it in and what distance?

Can't wait to get mine in...pics look great.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:47:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I know you haven't been to the range but how's are the Troys and EOTech together?  I wanted to add both to mine for a similar setup.  Do you still get a good cheek weld?

How will you sight it in and what distance?

Can't wait to get mine in...pics look great.
View Quote

The Troy FBS and Eotech EXPS2/G33 combo work pretty well for me just from sighting in. Because of the bullpup design there will be limitations on sight radius of course. Plenty of clearance under the G33 for just about any rear sight you could want. The Tavor has BUIS built into the rail system that aren't too bad, but they cannot be set up for lower 1/3 cowitness which is why I put the Troys on there (I had a set sitting around and it worked out well). The front sight post sits very low inside the EXPS2, at the very bottom, although the contoured sides make it easy to pick up. For me it's actually ideal. Low enough to keep it out of the way if you like to run the front post up, but just high enough to be able to pick up easy. You would be able to "float" your target at the bottom of the EXPS2 and center the front sight post on it if that makes sense.

As far as the cheek weld goes, I was also very impressed. It was one of the things I worried the most about since unlike the AR platform it's pretty much unadjustable. I typically like a longer radius from shoulder to trigger than most. I usually run my ARs from the 4-6th stock positions. I also prefer a higher cheek position whenever possible to place as much leverage on whenever possible. With most AR stocks I'm at the jawline when I'm sighting in because I like a closer to eye position on my magnifiers. The Tavor's stock could be a cunt hair or two higher for my prefence's, but is not bad at all. Better than most ARs for my taste. The distance from shoulder to trigger is just about perfect for my taste as well.

It balances a little heavy towards the rear, even with optics and light on there, but that's to be expected with a bullpup design. Although it's a 10 lb rifle fully loaded, the weight distribution allows for it to "point" better than any AR I've handled, and just feels amazing in hand. I thought the pistol grip would be too thin for my taste when I first saw it, but it's growing on me quickly. The only thing I would knock this thing for is probably the sight radius. But considering what you are getting in return for losing a few inches in sight radius, it's well worth the trade off. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:51:45 AM EDT
[#8]
On sighting in: I'm limited in ranges locally, so I'll be zeroing indoors at 25 yard on a 25/300 yd target. Because this will be setup mostly for CQB and 300 yds or less, I'm only concerned with "minute of bad guy" accuracy. If I wanted precision I'd have gotten a 20" AR with a rifle length gas system, a match trigger, and some high powered glass.

Some years ago at Parris Island they taught me how to shoot out to 500 yds with iron sights and I can still get it done out to 300 yards if need be with this platform. Sight elevation adjustments or some real good Kentucky windage would be needed past 300 yds in my opinion. Back then we zeroed our rifles at the 36 yard line for a simulated 300yd which seemed to have worked just fine.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:12:48 AM EDT
[#9]
looks like a 25 yard zero with federal m193 55 gr with a sight HOB of 3.6 inches (i think that's close to the tavor HOB, but i can't measure right now) and 3000 fps at muzzle will put you at about 10 inches high at 100 yds.  Max arc of about 18 inches at 270 yds.  I'd think a flatter trajectory would be better.  Even a 50 yd zero would make a big difference.  but everyone has their own preference i guess.  I don't know how accurate this calculator is, but its fun to play around with.

http://gundata.org/ballistic-calculator/

congrats on the awesome rifle man!

DS

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:19:49 AM EDT
[#10]
very nice pup.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:06:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
On sighting in: I'm limited in ranges locally, so I'll be zeroing indoors at 25 yard on a 25/300 yd target. Because this will be setup mostly for CQB and 300 yds or less, I'm only concerned with "minute of bad guy" accuracy. If I wanted precision I'd have gotten a 20" AR with a rifle length gas system, a match trigger, and some high powered glass.

Some years ago at Parris Island they taught me how to shoot out to 500 yds with iron sights and I can still get it done out to 300 yards if need be with this platform. Sight elevation adjustments or some real good Kentucky windage would be needed past 300 yds in my opinion. Back then we zeroed our rifles at the 36 yard line for a simulated 300yd which seemed to have worked just fine.
View Quote

I haven't seen anyone at the moment running irons such as yours.  I was curious how sighting it in would work.  25 yards sounds good...thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:48:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm actually a little disappointed with how the low Troy BUIS sit behind the EXPS2. I think I'm just going to go with the stock irons on the Tavor instead. There's no larger rear aperture setting but they seem to work well enough as is. The front sight post has a tritium insert which was a nice touch on IWI's part.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 2:34:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm actually a little disappointed with how the low Troy BUIS sit behind the EXPS2. I think I'm just going to go with the stock irons on the Tavor instead. There's no larger rear aperture setting but they seem to work well enough as is. The front sight post has a tritium insert which was a nice touch on IWI's part.
View Quote

How do you mean low behind the optic?  Do you normally shoot with irons up while using the red dot?  You have me nervous about using Troys now.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 3:16:43 PM EDT
[#14]
why put buis on when it comes with iron sights?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
why put buis on when it comes with iron sights?
View Quote

Some may not like the stock irons.  User preference.

I run Troys on all my rifles...just considering them as an option on the Tavor.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:07:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How do you mean low behind the optic?  Do you normally shoot with irons up while using the red dot?  You have me nervous about using Troys now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can kind of see what I'm talking about in the cowtiness pic at the top of the thread. The front sight post is just barely visible through the exps2. In low lighting this can be difficult to see. I didn't like the stock BUIS on the Tavor at first, but I've grown to like them now. I had the Troy's sitting around so I put them on at first. I'm probably going to take them off now. There's nothing wrong with them, just personal preference.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:57:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Nice AR in the family photo
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top