Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2002 2:57:35 PM EDT
Hey guys I recently signed up for the army and i know that they train mainly with the m16-a2 so i was thinking about getting the ar15.

Any ideas if this is a good choice ?

And where can i get one as whole not a "kit"

and for about how much ?

Also anyone in Tennessee or the Nashville area please email :)
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it would be a good choice. Ar15 would be the same exact rifle your going to use, minus the 3rd selector position (3rd burst). Any of the bigger AR makers (bushmaster,colt,DPMS, etc..) would be good. You can pick one up for like 700 or 800$ for a decent post-ban rifle.

PS: Which MOS are you going into?
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 3:16:46 PM EDT
[#2]
First of all for both Knowledge and Snikt, welcome to the site you two! Kick back, take off your shoes, keep your feet off of the furniture, please feed the dog and watch your muzzle.

Next let me congratulte you on your recent enlistment. I am very proud and appreciative of your decision to serve our country. To echo Snikt, what MOS will you have?

Lastly, look at the Equipment Exchange on this site for a used, good condition, postban AR15. There are usually some pretty good deals and you get to buy from a fellow member.

Good luck in Basic and AIT (or OSUT) and keep in touch, Knowledge.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 3:22:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Im looking towards MP

But havnt exactly decided yet. I am a avid graphic artist and nearly CCNA certified :o

thanks for the warm welcome.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I took my CCNA a few years ago but I let it expire cause it wasn't really doing me any good. I've been kinda off and on thinking about joining army or air force.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#5]
well im only in highschool and that was about the only "good" computer class we had.

Heh so you get what you can take i guess.

So what would be a good setup ?

im not looking to spend a lot right now, just something for starters
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Just an example you can buy a bushmaster E2S shorty AR15 (A2 carbine with 16" barrel) for like 799$. I baught mine at a local gun store. Don't know much about Olympic arms but I heard they are good too. Like a PCR4 or PCR5 from olympic arms for prolly around the same price range.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Ah thats not to bad

ill have to stop by my gun shop and see if they carry any of these puppies
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 4:00:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Get you a good rifle and when you get to boot camp you tell them that you already know everything about the ar15/m16 and you do not need any training on them.  That'll work in the army.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 7:29:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I_run....  You looking to get him redbellied on his first day, or what???

lmao
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:19:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Get you a good rifle and when you get to boot camp you tell them that you already know everything about the ar15/m16 and you do not need any training on them.  That'll work in the army.

Yea, and while your'e at, tell 'em its not really necessary to clean your rifle every time out....
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 1:18:26 PM EDT
[#12]
When you join you dont tell a DS shit about how smart you are or what you know :)

Link Posted: 5/2/2002 3:37:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't buy one yet!!!

Wait until you are in boot camp, and then the DS will teach you the CORRECT way to shoot.

You don't want to teach yourself bad habits that you'll have to unlearn, and then relearn the correct ways.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Well ive shot rifles all my life.

Its not like i dont know how to shoot.

I just have never owned one of my own :o
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:25:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Get a bushmaster XM15e2s 20" This is exactly like the gun you will be training on in boot camp minus the bayonet lug,flash suppressor and 3rnd burst function. And practice with it alot. You can practice take down,cleaning and putting back together. You can also get used to the m16/ar15 sites and get used to the feel of the weapon. Also if anyone can get the link for the santose rifle zero @ the maryland state shooters site that would be good. The santose zero was created by a veteran (can't remember if he was army or marines) and is much better than the "standard" military zero.

And contrary to what uhlek said I would believe very strongly that practicing on a rifle near exactly like the one you will use BEFORE you join will give you a decided edge. And heck if you practice with your AR15 enough you might just get expert marksman!

But on the other hand be sure to lay low and not yap about this newfound knowledge in boot camp or the DI's will slam you. You could maybe try helping some of the other recruits when the holier than thou DI's aren't around.

Ive had a bushy XM15e2s for I believe about a year now and I know ten times what I knew before. and as they say knowledge is power. So grab $700-$800 and go get powered UP!
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#16]
As an 11b qualified soldier, I would advise against "practicing" before you go to basic.  You will develop bad habits without even realizing it and it will hurt you when you go to qualify on the pop-up range.  The soldiers who did not shoot before did better,for the whole than us who had prior experience shooting.  Bad habits are harder to unlearn, than good ones are to learn.  Dont go in with the attitude "I know how to shoot, and i am going to do it my way" or it will hurt you in the end
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Well my dad is Ex Marine and he qualified every year for Expert marksmanship, so im sure he could teach me the "proper way".

Thanks again :)
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Plus like I said before the santose zero is much more effective then your standard "by the book" zero. Although youd have the snow balls chance in hell of being able to use it in boot camp. But as long as you have your dad to help you then youll do very well. Anyone also needs to go into boot camp with the attitude that they still have alot more to learn and should strongly evaluate any new information they get. One way that I have trained so as to avoid the bad habbits is by using military proven training methods. you will also have quite a better relationship with said weapon than the guys who have never touched a gun. take a civilian shooter compared to a military shooter. If a civilian screws up thier gun or drops and brakes it ect. ect. it is THIER responsability to fix it and pay with thier money. yet a military shooter gets "issued" the rifle and doesn't pay a dime so while they may clean it more often then needed to keep it reliable (although it will stay reliable even if they clean it only every 1200 rnds or so) if it gets damaged or destroyed they simply get "issued" a new one and its no big deal.

I think as long as someone practices the right way and keeps an open mind when going into boot camp then they would have an advantage. They just need to work to keep thier shooting and training methods correct and not get an attitude about it.

I believe that youll do very well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Also when i get out of boot camp/AIT could i legally buy a m16 ? or would i have to stick with a ar15 ?

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:08:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Hi Knowledge,

Juggernaut and I live in the Nashville area.  For the absolute dirt cheapest "good" quality AR, Federal Arms Corporation is selling the Olympic PRC (Politically Correct Rifle) for under 600.  You have to have it shipped to an FFL so there is some shipping ($15.00 +/-) and the FFL fees (15-25.00) and TN instacheck fee (10.00) but a post ban under $600 is OK in any book.  The first AR I owned was (is) an OLY PRC and for the $$ they are outstanding guns.  If you visit the Federal Armswebsite - do not get lured in by the inexpensive price of a Hesse - they are crap.

The local gun shows, like the one at the Nashville Fairgrounds each month is a joke. I go for parts or just to relax, but a "steal" is a rare Item there.  I shouldn't beat it up too much since Juggernaut bought a Pre-ban with an A1 pencil barrel in 95% condition for $850 from some desperate person, but only because he saw them first (that is.. saw him before the other 500 hawks that are prowling the joint did)

The Smyrna show is a much better show, better clientel and MUCH larger, but they have changed locations.  If you want more info, e-mail Juggernaut ([email protected])

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:32:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Hey Xanadu,

Thanks for the info man

Would you be interested in Starting a Ar15 website with me for TN/Nashville Area ?

I can do the design etc

check my site afterblack.net

Link Posted: 5/4/2002 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#23]
i think im going to go with a Bushmaster XM15e2s 20" AR15
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Im looking towards MP

But havnt exactly decided yet. I am a avid graphic artist and nearly CCNA certified :o

thanks for the warm welcome.

Great thinking!  

If you have any questions, let me know.  

Link Posted: 5/5/2002 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#25]
ah are you MP ?
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 1:04:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
i think im going to go with a Bushmaster XM15e2s 20" AR15

Ah, great thinking again.  You're a pretty smart fellow!

Link Posted: 5/5/2002 1:10:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
ah are you MP ?

Roger doger.  Best MOS you can choose IMO.  MPs are NOT just police for Army bases.  They also do combat support(hummers, full battle rattle, MK-19 grenade launchers, etc.).  

So, you get the best of both worlds: Rambo-killem all type training and urban-police training.

If you go active, you'll likely do 6 month rotations b/n field and garrison(police) duty.  In the reserves it depends on your mission.  I just got back from three weeks in Italy.  Talk about a sweet deal!

Link Posted: 5/5/2002 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice stuff man, do you have AOL or AIM ? so we can talk in more detail about this ?

Link Posted: 5/5/2002 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Oh, and the training is 4 months right here in beautiful, sunny Ft. Leonard Wood, MO.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 1:15:13 PM EDT
[#30]
ya, spc0906(aol)
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#31]
ah sounds cool!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top