Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 3/26/2006 1:33:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/26/2006 1:42:47 PM EDT by Big-Will]
Mosin Nagant 91/30 Izhevsk 1941. All matching S.N. Got it from SOG. First of all the gun was pretty clean when I got it. I had it cleaned up (without a whole lot of work on the stock) in about an hour. Everything is in good shape. The bolt group looks like it has had very very little use (that is one hard ass spring by the way), and the bore still has a little shine. The stock has some places where the finish looks blotched, and I have noticed that if the stock rubs against anything coarse it asses up the finish. I have shot about 80 rounds through it with no problems. Without the bayonet on it shoots way to the right but it is pretty close with it attached. I still cant hit anything outside of 150 yards with it. I am shooting 1980s Polish ammo. Only found one cracked case after I looked through the empty ones. The bolt will open and close very easy when no round is in the chamber. But when running ammo through it, it gets hard to open and close, and it gets worse the hotter the gun gets. I tried cleaning the chamber as best as I could while it was hot but this didnt help much. This problem is due to hardend cosmoline in the chamber right? What else should I try to fix this problem?

So did I do good? I got 440 rounds of ammo and the gun with sling, bayo, oil bottle, and ammo pouch all shipped to my door for 135 bucks.

Where can I get stripper clips for my Nagant?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:20:46 PM EDT
It looks to me like you did just great.

Dennis Jenkins
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:53:48 AM EDT
Very nice.

Welcome to the addiction.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:02:42 AM EDT
sweet
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:20:11 PM EDT
Nice looking Mosin.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:26:47 PM EDT
Congrats on the first of many more to follow.
Looks to me like you did just fine.
those M44's are a blast to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:21:12 AM EDT
Where did you order it from? Looks great. Just sent my C and R app in.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:53:21 AM EDT

Where can I get stripper clips for my Nagant?

AIM surplus had some 7.62x54R stripper clips a while back...
IMHO, stripper clips for the Mosin Nagant are a real PITA, takes some modifiying of the clips to work consistently...but others really like them. Stripper clips really work well on my Yugo SKS, I think it is the design of the Mosin Nagant stripper clips that are at fault...
It is nice to load some up and put them in the pouches that came with my rifle
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:31:23 PM EDT
nice...

put a sling on it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:37:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MauserMark:
nice...

put a sling on it.

I put the original sling on it right after I took the pics.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:40:10 PM EDT
I still cant hit a damn thing outside of 150 yards. For one thing I find it hard to get a good sight picture with the front and rear sights so far apart. So I dont know if it is me, the gun, or the ammo. Iam shooting 1980s Polish BTW. And is it normal for the gun to shoot way off without the bayonet on?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:06:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Big-Will:
And is it normal for the gun to shoot way off without the bayonet on?

It's pretty normal. After all, the Soviets didn't issue scabbards with the bayonets. They expected the bayo to be mounted on the rifle.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:13:48 AM EDT
Looks good to me!

You better get that cosmoline soaked war horse off of your wife's table before she gets home!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:48:47 AM EDT
hmmm...

I've never put the bayo on mine, and first trip to the range it was off (at 50 yards) by maybe an inch of the bullseye and kept better groups than my mausers.

Each one is different though, try to manipulate the front sight post. Something I noticed on mine was that the Russians (when they re-arsenaled it) moved the front sight post/block a little to the left from center and with that it is almost zeroed in perfectly. that may be your problem.

-mark
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:04:30 PM EDT
I have a 1938 Tula that I got from SOG in January. It also has problems when the action gets hot. You have to start slapping the bolt to get it to cycle properly. The Polish milsurp that I was shooting kept 5 round groups within an inch at 50 yards. I was pleased. Pretty good for less than $160 with 880 rounds of ammo.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:08:08 PM EDT
Nice looking rifle.

Try cleaning the chamber with lacquer thinner.

WRT you comments re the sights -- having a long sight radius helps accurate shooting with iron sights, if you're using them correctly. The long sight radius reduces alignment errors, which is why you'll sometimes see target rifles with front sights mounted on barrel extensions, and a rear peep sight mounted as far back as possible. The human eye cannot focus on three planes at once, only on one. When using irons, the front sight should be in focus while the reat sight and the target are out of focus. Don't try to keep the rear sight, front sight, and target in focus. It's physically impossible.
Top Top