Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2004 11:54:58 AM EST
My select grade from AIM should hit the doorstep tomorrow sometime and I plan to spend the good part of the evening cleaning up all the cosmo off the rifle and getting to know it. I spent most of today reading online manuals that show how to dissassemble, but I want to make a list of items I need to clean all the gunk off of it.

What I have:

CLP Break free, 1 bottle
2 of the cleaning kits (wal-mart style) that have the rods, patches, oil, and bore cleaner, for a .22 and 9mm)
Rags
Gloves
Glasses
Brake cleaner
wd-40

Now that's covered, could you all help me create a list of what else I need to clean all the cosmo off? I'm especially concerned about what to use on the stock as I don't want to damage the finish or discolor it at all. I've heard brake cleaner and/or mineral spirits work... I just want to get it all straight so I don't mess anything up.

Finally. As far as lubing the rifle goes, will a coating and wiping off of the CLP do? It really slickens up my 10/22's metal parts real well without leaving any oil to collect burnt up lead and powder.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:44:25 PM EST
I've got a plastic wallpaper tray that is long enough to hold a stock. I usually dump some mineral spirits in there and go at it with a toothbrush.

I'd get a roll of paper towels. My rifle is covered in STINKY cosmoline.

I'd think twice about getting that brake cleaner on that wood. Or any water for that matter.

I like CLP too. You need to get a decent one piece cleaning rod. Might as well get a long one while you are at it.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

Originally Posted By michaelj1978:
My select grade from AIM should hit the doorstep tomorrow sometime and I plan to spend the good part of the evening cleaning up all the cosmo off the rifle and getting to know it. I spent most of today reading online manuals that show how to dissassemble, but I want to make a list of items I need to clean all the gunk off of it.

What I have:

CLP Break free, 1 bottle
2 of the cleaning kits (wal-mart style) that have the rods, patches, oil, and bore cleaner, for a .22 and 9mm)
Rags
Gloves
Glasses
Brake cleaner
wd-40

Now that's covered, could you all help me create a list of what else I need to clean all the cosmo off? I'm especially concerned about what to use on the stock as I don't want to damage the finish or discolor it at all. I've heard brake cleaner and/or mineral spirits work... I just want to get it all straight so I don't mess anything up.

Finally. As far as lubing the rifle goes, will a coating and wiping off of the CLP do? It really slickens up my 10/22's metal parts real well without leaving any oil to collect burnt up lead and powder.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:56:24 PM EST
DO NOT use brake cleaner on ANY wood part of the rifle. I highly suggest wrapping the stock up in tin foil, preheating your oven to 175 degrees, and putting it in the oven for about 30 minutes. Then take it out, wipe it off, and repeat again until the cosmo stops oozing out. Then wipe the stock down with mineral spirits a few times. This should get the cosmo that is really soaked in there out. Then put something like Tung Oil or Boiled Linseed Oil on the stock and rub it in for a few coats. Hope this helps, Mike.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:24:39 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/21/2004 5:25:38 PM EST by Corbic]

Wow, you guys are Psycho with chemicals. Serious.

Here is what you need (this is what I use, and I'm happily cancer free).

WD-40 or "Gun De-Gunker or something" : I've done about 4 rifles and still have 2/3rds of a single bottle left.

Paper towels, Jesus I use a lot, figure one roll per rifle. Get the gritty kind, not the soft girlly crap.

Ear cleaners (get those tight places)

Piper Cleaners (see above)

Standard .30 Cleaning kit (oil, rod, brush, patches)

News Paper, Card Board, and Plastic garbage back, I line the Kitchen table with these so no messy or dents.

All said, average clean time is about an hour, unless it’s a POS Enfield.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:07:20 PM EST
1. Kerosene to clean the metal parts. Hot water rinse and dry with compressed air.

2. Bake stock and other wood parts in a low temperature (150°F) oven. Wipe continously until all of the cosmo boils out. Strip and refinish as needed.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:01:19 PM EST
I have had good luck with simple grean engine degreaser,bought a gallon at an automotive parts store for like 5 dollars.also dont forget to dissasemble your bolt,remove the firing pin and clean out the inside of the bolt.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 12:05:33 PM EST

I use lemon oil to cut the cosmo
and it has always worked well.
Get the stuff at WalMart that comes
in a clear bottle (Murphys?). Make
sure to get several pairs of gloves
because lemon oil eats the latex.

HTH!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:03:23 PM EST

I had pretty good results with a 5 gallon bucket of VERY hot water, some dishwashing liquid, and letting all the parts soak for a little while. It took a little scrubbing, but not too bad. After it was cleaned, I used some #0000 grit sandpaper to get rid of the roughness on the stock, and boiled linseed oil to refinish it. It seems to have come out pretty nicely, and everything worked fine the first trip to the range.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:36:01 PM EST
I just cleaned my yugo m59 last night. Get a bucket or tray and add about half a can of mineral spirits, disassemble rifle and dip in spirits.use a paint brush,cosmoline runs right off. do same to wood.wipe dry, oil parts and rifle, use a light coat of tung oil, or other wood preservative.My yugo looks great.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:31:50 AM EST
My M59 should get delivered tomorrow... if I'm home. Or I'll have to go pick it up on Monday.

I plan on using a lot of paper towels, some rags, mineral spirits, and heat. If any parts are a bit difficult to get to, they can go in the oven with the stock. Heat will melt the cosmo off of metal parts, too.

The stock will get thrown in for 10 minutes at a time on 150° or so until the cosmo stops seeping. Then a while to dry a little, maybe a little light sanding if needed, and a couple coats of tung oil finish or two. I could do a couple coats of BLO and then tung oil finish... but I might not go that far.

I'll report on the process.. maybe take some pictures before and after.
Top Top