Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 7:24:16 PM EDT
Here are some pictures of my first Mosin, an M38. From what I can tell, it was manufactured at/in Izhevsk, and I think the year on the barrel is 1944. As long as its not raining I'm going to the range tomorrow. I've got 40 rounds of some Sellier & Bellot FMJ to play with.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:29:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice!

Just be warned about three things:

1) Check for case bulging after your first shot. A little bulge isn't abnormal, but it should be really bad.
2) The bolt will probably stick after each shot. You will most likely need to really lever it to cycle.
3) Plan on it shooting about 6-11" high at 100 yards with a "standard" sight picture.

Oh, and it's a cannon. You'll love it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:31:57 AM EDT
[#3]
This is a LOUD rifle.  Wear good hearing protection.  Also, really cool muzzle blast.  Shoot it a twilight to get the best effect.  If the bore is in god condition it should be a pretty good shooter.  Several people use them as deer rifles with 203 grain soft points.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top