Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2004 12:22:28 AM EST
This rifle is awesome Stock is a little beat, blue is around 80% like advertised, and make that a mirror bore...with 3 passes of the boresnake coated with No9, the damn thing looks practically brand spanking new. Im taking a bunch of pics, what would you guys like to see? This thing had 0 cosmo on it. All these pics are out of the box. Stock is nice, would look superb with some finishing but I dont think I want to change anything. The thing still has the original oil from whomever shot it last on the bolt, which is incredibly smooth. Importer mismarked the barrel as 98/22 8mm (somehow I dont think its a mauser barrel) ;) The barrel is more purple than the sight and stock "rings", kinda cool looking.

Main questions...

How do I tell the year of my reciever?

Should I even take it apart? I never have before. I know how, good ol surplusrifles.com has a great writeup.

All I have on hand for bore cleaning are some rags (small peices of rag) and a boresnake. Solvents I have are CLP and Hoppes 9. (Disregard: the boresnake made QUICK work of it)

WOW....I love it :) First C/R. Ill work on more pictures if anyone wants to see something else.

Alright, photo album here: www.gunsnet.net/album//showgallery.php?si=&perpage=24&sort=1&cat=500&ppuser=23082

Bore any good?

purplish hue that the barrel also has

clean'ish and oiled bolt/receiver out of the box - weird stringy things all over, like lint/carpet

ouchie!

cool looking, would come "out" alot more with some work (but what to do to it?)

Im totally stoked...or is that "hooked" ?

Alex
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:14:16 AM EST
Sounds like hopelessly hooked. Nice pics! Congrats on your first C&R. You picked a great rifle to get started. I like my M39. Also got it from WGA. My barrel took alot of cleaning, but is a good shooter. You might want to invest in a good one piece cleaning rod. Especially if you decide to use milsurp ammo. I take my cleaning rod to the range with a little Windex so I can neutralize those corrosive salts and not worry about damage til I can get it home and do a thorough cleaning. I've found that JB Bore Bright does a nice job of cleaning up a frosted bore. About a full disassembly. Yes. Especially the bolt. Do yourself a favor and invest in a quality set of screwdrivers(or handle with bits). I've found that it has prevented alot of damage by having the proper blade size for the various screws. A set of brass punches and non-marring hammer is handy too. And, and,...............

Buy more ammo,

X
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:26:35 AM EST
That looks like dog or cat hair clinging to your rifle. I have a German Shepard so I've come to ignore it.

My M39 is a VKT with a 1941 barrel date and a 1896 receiver tang date. The receiver tang date is stamped on the underside of the tang which is the very rear of the metal portion of the rifle.

You really should take all surplus rifles apart for inspection purposes so that you can avoid shooting rifles with unpleasant surprises such as barrels that have huge rust pits under the woodline.

BTW, if you shoot corrosive ammo you should use a WATER based cleaner such as MPro7 FIRST to flush away the corrosive salts.

Dennis Jenkins

Originally Posted By dravisar:
This rifle is awesome Stock is a little beat, blue is around 80% like advertised, and make that a mirror bore...with 3 passes of the boresnake coated with No9, the damn thing looks practically brand spanking new. Im taking a bunch of pics, what would you guys like to see? This thing had 0 cosmo on it. All these pics are out of the box. Stock is nice, would look superb with some finishing but I dont think I want to change anything. The thing still has the original oil from whomever shot it last on the bolt, which is incredibly smooth. Importer mismarked the barrel as 98/22 8mm (somehow I dont think its a mauser barrel) ;) The barrel is more purple than the sight and stock "rings", kinda cool looking.

Main questions...

How do I tell the year of my reciever?

Should I even take it apart? I never have before. I know how, good ol surplusrifles.com has a great writeup.

All I have on hand for bore cleaning are some rags (small peices of rag) and a boresnake. Solvents I have are CLP and Hoppes 9. (Disregard: the boresnake made QUICK work of it)

WOW....I love it :) First C/R. Ill work on more pictures if anyone wants to see something else.

Alright, photo album here: www.gunsnet.net/album//showgallery.php?si=&perpage=24&sort=1&cat=500&ppuser=23082

Bore any good?
www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/23082DSC00200s.jpg

purplish hue that the barrel also has
www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/23082DSC00197s.jpg

clean'ish and oiled bolt/receiver out of the box - weird stringy things all over, like lint/carpet
www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/23082DSC00196s-med.jpg

www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/23082DSC00193s-med.jpg

ouchie!
www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/23082DSC00192s.jpg

cool looking, would come "out" alot more with some work (but what to do to it?)
www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/23082DSC00191s.jpg

www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/23082DSC00188s.jpg

www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/23082DSC00187s.jpg

www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/23082DSC00186s-med.jpg

Im totally stoked...or is that "hooked" ?

Alex

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:52:42 AM EST
Top Top