Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2013 1:09:18 PM EDT
What do you guys think about my first 9mm reloads.

I'm using Berrys Mfg 115 grain plated bullets
4.5 grains HP38 powder
Bullet OAL 1.169"

I couldn't find an exact load data in my Lee manual or Hodgon load data online for the berrys plated bullet.  Some people have said to load in the mid range for FMJ powder loads, I've also heard to go in between lead round nose and FMJ.

I loaded 10 rounds like this, but wanted a little input before I made anymore to these specs.

Thank You
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:35:48 PM EDT
Have you verified your OAL will chamber in your gun?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:10:14 PM EDT
Yep, thats the max length, most load shorter in the 115 gr RN design, often 1.10.  

If it works and shoots well, fine.  If you wish you can load a few dummy rounds for checking the cycle and feed by hand.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:12:27 PM EDT
I'll second you should check the OAL.  Even still, you'll probably want to be at 1.125
What gun are you shooting out of?  Anything modern, and you can probably kick that charge up a little. My Glocks and M&P's have run just fine with the Speer GDHP data Hodgdon has listed.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:19:13 PM EDT
Is there any reason not to use max OAL if the gun will chamber the rounds?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:28:38 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Boomslang64:
Is there any reason not to use max OAL if the gun will chamber the rounds?
View Quote

Not only chamber, but make sure they will feed from a mag.  I had to shorten up some of mine due to mag issues.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:33:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/27/2013 2:33:50 PM EDT by Rugby3]
Nothing wrong with running up to the max OAL as long as they feed and fit. When I first started reloading I always ran mine long just for comfort factor, my first 115gr FMJ's were 1.160.

edit-spelling
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:45:23 PM EDT
Thanks for the input everyone!

I'm using these in a glock 19.  I loaded a mag and they all fit well.  I also cycled them all though my G19 and they ejected fine.  Should I go shoot them or should I shorten them up a bit?  Like I said the OAL now is 1.169-1.170.  I was just concerned about seating the bullets too far and causing too much pressure.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:56:06 PM EDT
As long as they chamber in your gun shoot them, you can play with OAL to see what shoots best. For example using 4.2 grains of Titegroup and 124gr Montana Gold JHP  an OAL of 1.140 shoots high but 1.10 is most accurate in my Glock 19
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:01:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Stiles1410:
As long as they chamber in your gun shoot them, you can play with OAL to see what shoots best. For example using 4.2 grains of Titegroup and 124gr Montana Gold JHP  an OAL of 1.140 shoots high but 1.10 is most accurate in my Glock 19
View Quote

Okay sounds good.  After you crimp your newly loaded ammo is it to late to make adjustments to OAL? Just curious.

I'm going to make a new batch tomorrow with the bullet seated to 1.150 and see how that shoots.  I will make adjustments from there.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:02:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By cl6002k5:

I'm using these in a glock 19.  I loaded a mag and they all fit well.  I also cycled them all though my G19 and they ejected fine.  Should I go shoot them or should I shorten them up a bit?  Like I said the OAL now is 1.169-1.170.  I was just concerned about seating the bullets too far and causing too much pressure.

Thanks again!
View Quote

As long as they drop in and out of your barrel they will be fine. I use my barrels to determine maximum OAL, drop in and flip it over and it should drop out.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:15:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Rugby3:

As long as they drop in and out of your barrel they will be fine. I use my barrels to determine maximum OAL, drop in and flip it over and it should drop out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rugby3:
Originally Posted By cl6002k5:

Thanks again!

Looks like I'm good to go.  I pulled my barrel out and they go in and fall out no problem.  I racked the slide enough times to clear the mag out and all the ammo cycled.

Thanks again all!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:02:58 PM EDT
HP38 is my go to powder in plinking 9mm rounds.    I use a lot of it, 4.0 grains at a time under my 125gr cast bullet.    

Your power level looks pretty close to perfect for plinking.
Top Top