Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/1/2005 5:35:21 AM EDT
My gunsafe is full to the brim.  I have an AK variant, M4gery, and a AR10 as well as an impressive variety of hunting firearms.  I've got ammo.  I've got gadgets, lights, and vests.  I've got gas masks.  I've got mags....oh do I have mags.  I have handguns, holsters, and holsters for holsters.

I have everything I need.

But it won't stop.  Yesterday I opened the safe and thought.....what am I gonna do with that extra bipod?  

That's when I fell from grace.

I should build a tactical bolt action 308....then my brain processed the idea and within 5 minutes I had the perfect blueprint.  My Arfcom prowess already calculated the costs from the various vendors including shipping.  I envisioned myself 2 months down the road regarding what brand of match 308 ammo I should be looking for.  The only thing that I got hung up on was whether or not to go with the MacMillan stock......

Then, like a junkie in need of the ultimate high, I immediately came to the undisputable realization that if I had TWO 308 firearms....I absolutely HAD to have TWO 5.56 and 7.62X39 firearms.....there was no other way.  It had to be and BOOM.....

Withing 2 more minutes I knew that I had to acquire, by any means necessary, a midlength A1 set up, no frills, all iron, all beautiful.  Another minute passes and I had my eyes set on a Romanian SAR1 with a folding stock and a slant brake, nothing fancy, but an excellent add to the safe....

OH NO!!!!

The safe is full.  In literally a matter of seconds I knew just what had to be done.  I had the catalog out and like a speedreader on crackcocaine, I was skimming the pages frantically looking for the model I glanced upon 7 months back.

In less than 10 minutes.....I mentally spent well over $4,000 dollars.......and I was doing so well.  With the birth of my daughter last week, I intended to round off the collection with a 1,000 rounds of Lake City ammo for the AR10 and call it good, spending my cash on home improvement projects, educational funds, and SHTF food and water supplies, maybe even a generator.

Alas.....I am here.....a man apart.  By most standards I'm armed to the teeth and very confident with my skills operating that which I own.  But dammit I don't have a bolt action 308 and I can't get that without getting another AR and AK to balance it out.  Plus the safe.  My 270 Browning A-Bolt Classic can drop anything in North America out to 400 yards, but it's not the same......

[sigh]

Damn this website and all it's influence over my life.  If I never logged onto AR15.com back in early 2001, I'd be perfectly ignorant and happy with a postban Colt Match Target HBar and a 357 Magnum revolver.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 5:39:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 5:42:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I had this same conversation with TexRdNec the other day.

In 6 months I have added 4 AR15s, several uppers (more uppers than lowers now) and a 1919 and a another 9mm/ .308 suppressor.

Since I have jsut 1 9mm upper, and two 9mm/.308 cans, of course I need a .308 for one of them.

And, of course a RR is in transfer.  Along with my first 5.56 suppressor and a .22LR suppressor.

Since I have a RR coming, I need a Lakeside 22LR upper for it, and a FA rated 22LR can.

I gotta stop.  

The EE is like Crack Cocaine to me.  If I could just STOP going there to 'just look' for deals...

TRG

You could get married again, that'll put the brakes on ya.

TXL
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:36:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

TXL

And that is no shit... Get your toys now fellas, after you take the plunge toy collecting comes to a screeching halt. Trust me, I know this all toooooooo well.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:58:09 AM EDT
[#4]
an obsession

get the bolt

get another safe

Link Posted: 3/1/2005 8:12:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Two quart wine enema take care of that!
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 8:23:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Luckily I am not as bad as you guys but still being new to the scene I do alot of impulse buying.  After a quick thought I went out bought an AR. 2 days later a ergo grip and buttstock. 3 days later a KAC RIS II and ARMS #40 and some mags. Now 2 weeks later getting A surefire m951su.  And all on a strict college budget haha and this is just one of my addictions. I have over $20K into my car.Damn this impulse crap
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Start collecting action figures  or Airsoft. Appears that either helps other "friends of Ar".
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 8:33:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I always remember this line from "Fight Club" - "What you own ends up owning you.". Every firearm I own is another firearm I have to maintain. I also make sure that each firearm I own has distinct role. There might be some overlap (which is OK) but each one has it's place. This is why I still haven't bought an AR pistol (I have no need for a "range toy") or 1911s (my USPs work well enough). Heck, when I wanted a 9mm AR, I sold my HK-94 and, as much of a pain in the butt as it's been to sell all the HK accessories, I'm glad I did it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 8:38:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
"What you own ends up owning you."

Good quote!
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 8:49:51 AM EDT
[#10]
What you really need Hokie, is an M1A. A rifleman's rifle. A MAN's rifle, unlike that poseur AR10 poofery.

Chrome lined USGI barrel. USGI bolt, op rod, trigger. Synthetic stock, nicely painted. Iron sights to die for. Oh baby

Tell your wife her second (or third) job is your key to happiness.

You are welcome

Link Posted: 3/1/2005 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 8:55:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I have the same thing going on here, except I have two safes that are full, not one of these rifles is a "Safe Queen" I averaged about Four rifles a month last year

I have enough ammo that would make  Taxman green with envy.

I'm only buying 2 rifles this year...................I already have one of them a CMP Garand and the other a LRB M-14 is going tobe here the end of this week.  

I've been tempted on a couple others but I have not swayed.  I am holding to the two rifle plan this year
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 9:09:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 9:15:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I've been tempted on a couple others but I have not swayed.  I am holding to the two rifle plan this year

Good luck with that. It is just March 1st. 9 looonnnnnnnnnngggggggg months to go.......

Penguin, ahahahahhahahahahahahahahah!

CMP shoots are fast approaching. Better strap on a pillow under your tail feathers 'cause another "granny gun" induced-butt whoopin' is eminent *
*Please Lord let me beat Aimless again this year. Or it WILL be a long sad year for me
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 9:17:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks to ARFCOM...I have added a FAL, a Mossberg 590, 2 AR-15s (20" Bushmaster V-Match and a 16" CAR home built...ala this site), a Springfield Armory M-6 Scout, and will be ordering a SA USGI rack grade M1 Garand..... (all in three years time)

Not to mention thousands and thousands of rounds and dozens of magazines.

Oh yeah...and so much survival/shtf supplies. I am feeling much better since I can provide for my family when/if the SHTF.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 9:19:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I averaged about Four rifles a month last year

I dont post everything I buy..................it keeps people guessing
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 9:20:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck with that. It is just March 1st. 9 looonnnnnnnnnngggggggg months to go.......

I'm content with the 2 that I have picked out
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
and the other a LRB M-14 is going tobe here the end of this week.  

I would be content with this one! Did you get a chrome-lined barrel?
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
and the other a LRB M-14 is going tobe here the end of this week.  

I would be content with this one! Did you get a chrome-lined barrel?

Yes I did

I dug out a case of LC 87 7.62x51 and have some magazines all loaded up

I'm just chompin at the bit waiting for it, I even went and picked up a few cinder blocks to shoot at.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#21]
A range report is required
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#22]
My Wife says that I can buy all the gun stuff I want if I quit smoking......Someone come over and tape my stupid ass mouth shut for a week...please...(pleeeaaase?)
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 3:59:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Hokie, you need another safe to fill.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 4:00:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I had a list.
I had a plan.
NO NEW GUNS THIS YEAR, JUST GO OUT & SHOOT. LOTS OF AMMO AND LOTS OF TRIGGER TIME.

Picked up 3 lowers Friday.

wganz

Link Posted: 3/1/2005 4:24:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 4:31:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TXL

And that is no shit... Get your toys now fellas, after you take the plunge toy collecting comes to a screeching halt. Trust me, I know this all toooooooo well.

Gentlemen, you just have to marry the right woman! My wife enjoys all of my hobbies. Maybe not as obsessed as I am, but she sure can throw some lead down range like the best of em!
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Its just time to buy that second safe, thats all! You know you were gonna do it soon. Now is always better!
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 8:08:51 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
My friend once told me I'm gonna "good deal myself right into the poorhouse", he was right.

+1
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I wish I had all of ya'lls problembs...I need more money.  My impulse purchases come from lightfighters or cheaper than dirt.  I'm SCRIMPING for a Springfield Armory M6
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#33]
We all have a disease, I can't stop HELP
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I had a list.
I had a plan.
NO NEW GUNS THIS YEAR, JUST GO OUT & SHOOT. LOTS OF AMMO AND LOTS OF TRIGGER TIME.

Picked up 3 lowers Friday.

wganz

I do the exact same thing.

Resistance to BRD is futile.  I had no money.  So, I sold some of my ammo and have picked up two lowers (one preban, yes it sucks to live in NY) so far this year.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 3:22:17 AM EDT
[#35]
lol...clearly I am not alone in my plight
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 3:44:55 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TXL

I'm lucky enough not to have that problem. Wife never complains when I buy a new gun. Hell, she didn't even blink when an new M1A showed up at the door after christmas..........

Hokie, I know what you mean man.

My OCD doesn't seem to help matters at all...................
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 5:40:21 AM EDT
[#37]
So far this year I`ve been able to resist a little. I bought a Sig 228 and have a Mossberg 590 on layaway. But the Bulgarian AK`s are coming......
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 5:52:28 AM EDT
[#38]
So far this year bought an Aresenal SA-M7 Ak-47, M1 Garand from CMP, Springfield Xd for the wife, Ron Smith is doing a Navy EBR M1a for me right now, I've bought 4 AK KITS, and I just got THIS back from EGW:

And I have another 'Rinco that's gonna look just like it.

Link Posted: 3/2/2005 7:27:04 AM EDT
[#39]
On Jan 1, 2005 I pledged to myself (in my inner voice, my wife is not even up to speed on 2004 purchases) "NO NEW GUNS THIS YEAR"  Also, I had been at least keeping to my pledge of 2003 which was "ONLY GUNS IN .22lr, 9MM, .308 and .223 ARE ALLOWED, FOR AMMO AND SPACE PURPOSES"

Well, it is now Mar. 1.  My Sigpro .357 SIG is waiting at my FFL and JNEWT is building my AK-74 5.45 kit.

BTW....Alumahyde does not adhere to Houge overmolded rubber very well.  I learned this as I bought another cheap 10/22 last week and I began to apply all of the painting experience i have gleaned off of ARFCOM the last year.  May be I have to get that cool 10/22 stock from RBPRECISION....and a cool optic...and some new Alumahyde.......and a new bipod.....and some other crazy thing that somebody will dream up between now and then

BTW 2.......this is my AR collection after just two years...thank you ARFCOM
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 7:42:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 7:51:54 AM EDT
[#41]
OR....

you can rack up over a $5,000 tab set off by simply noticing that you have a spare bipod on the shelf!
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 7:54:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Well I found a .38 spl round once in my cabinet that prompted me to by a snubnosed revolver....is that close to what you are talking about Hokie?

Besides...you have an excuse now to get more...another family member is a free pass for at least 4 extra firearms
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 7:56:56 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Well I found a .38 spl round once in my cabinet that prompted me to by a snubnosed revolver....is that close to what you are talking about Hokie?

Besides...you have an excuse now to get more...another family member is a free pass for at least 4 extra firearms

PRECISELY what I'm talking about!!!!

Don't think I haven't processed that extra family member angle either!  I'm stretchin' for reasons now!
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 10:50:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Yes, I have bought a gun because I had a holster or box of ammo for it....

Spare parts accumulate until all you need for another gun is a receiver....

An extra scopes needs a rifle to attach it to....

My name is SAMSI and I'm a gun junkie.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
TXL

As someone else already noted, that depends on the wife...

I have been buying firearms since the day I turned 18, IOW for 20 years.  I've been married for 10 of those 20.  We own about 200 firearms, give or take a half-dozen.  I've been pretty good so far this year (one rifle for my son, some optics, a couple of new uppers, and [cough, cough] some ammunition ), but despite protestations, vows, and resolutions to the contrary, I know it won't be long until I succumb once more to my own personal siren's call.  (Actually, if someone hadn't bought it before I changed my mind and went back the other day, I would have added a SIG P220R to the collection...)

Hokie, you talk about the gun safe being full - my gun room is on the verge of overflowing!

I can blame some of it on this site, but it started long before I found this place...
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 2:49:28 AM EDT
[#46]
So much for the "Year of the Gun" (2004), eh Hokie?

I know what you mean, though. While working on an M4 clone to match my AR-10 Carbine I got this whole "big 'n little" theme going on in my head. Buy the big or little companion to whatever I already had. Hmmm, 1911/Llama .380 (mini-1911, forget the #), Mini-14/M1A, Romak-3/WASR, Baby Eagle/Desert Eagle, Marlin Guide Gun/336 30-30, S&W J-Frame/N-Frame, MY GOD WHERE DOES IT STOP?!

Then I made a promise to myself that I am AT LEAST going to finsh accessorising (if there ever is a finsh) what I've already got before I buy any more guns. Mags, optics, ammo. Then I'll consider getting stupid
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 3:26:12 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
So much for the "Year of the Gun" (2004), eh Hokie?

brother you ain't kidding!
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 4:02:41 AM EDT
[#48]
A true gun-junkie is someone who finds a bipod mount, and sees it as the foundation to build a new gun around.

Its like finding a hubcap, and building a new car around it!
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 5:20:27 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
A true gun-junkie is someone who finds a bipod mount, and sees it as the foundation to build a new gun around.

Its like finding a hubcap, and building a new car around it!

I've bought a handgun before just because I had a nice set of grips for it that I really liked...
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 5:22:22 AM EDT
[#50]
OK, I bought more ammo 308, 223, 9mm and 22 my ammo locker is full. Bought ammo cans and more ammo. Jan 1st I promised myself I wouldn't buy anymore guns for awhile. Well looks like I'll pickup a Socom, I found a 30 carbine receiver  I put away in the early 80s so I guess I be building a 30 carbine. And I always wanted a levergun in a pistol cal and maybe a 10mm upper. Haven't got to the handguns yet.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top