Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/26/2005 10:51:00 PM EDT
Well, I bought some 50 round ramline double stack 10/22 mags cause I thought, "The ammo is so cheap in .22, but I hate having to reload after every ten rounds."

Right when I got then I loaded them and manually cycled them through the gun. I noticed that the bullets never went smoothly into the chamber, they were always hitting just a tiny bit low. Sometimes the bullet would scrape but still load into the chamber and sometimes it would just jam. After shooting with them today I've realized that they just plain suck. I had a bunch of jams. I'm know thinking that the reliable 10 round factory mag is the better way to go.

Can anyone help me live my dream of shooting a 10/22 with a 50 round reliable magazine? I saw 1022sniperjr's post on fixing aftermarket mags, but there isn't really much play in the magazine connection with these ramlines. Anyone have any modification ideas?

Thanks,
Clint
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 3:22:16 AM EDT
I've bought a ramline and couldnt even load 40 rds. into it. My bolt spring wasnt even strong enough to strip a round from it. I took it back and picked up a 25rd. BC hot lips mag which functions great for me.

You may want to check out the MWG mag:

They run about $80, but they look like they'd work great. I'm sure you could send it back if they suck.
www.mwgco.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=MWG/PROD/50-rounder/MWG-022-050
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 4:30:48 AM EDT
I just picked up a RAM LINE 50 rounder yesterday. Piece of crap. They are supposedly "easy on the thumb " for loading, yet each round had a dented case where I had to push the next round down.

After firing 3 rounds, the feed lips cracked. When I was trying to unload the rest of the mag by hand so I can return the damn thing, the spring didn't have enough power to push the next round up!

Link Posted: 11/27/2005 4:40:56 AM EDT
I have found either Butler Creek or Eagle work best for me and my 10/22. I had a drum mag. just like the above picture. Worked well, but the plastic eventually broke. Ram lines have always sucked in all the 10/22's I have seen.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 7:29:33 AM EDT
If the rounds are hitting low you could try this. It worked for me.

1022 After Market Mag Fix

Link Posted: 11/27/2005 7:32:24 AM EDT
It looks like I'll be sending these ones back. Any suggestions as far as brand, or type of mag I should get to replace it?
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 7:39:21 AM EDT
I would try it, but that wasn't the only problem they gave me. The spring in the mag was pretty weak and didn't feed the bullets upward very well.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 7:46:43 AM EDT
Regretably, they do not make a 50 round mag, but the only aftermarket mag I've found that i can rely on is the Butler Creek Steel Lips.

I've got 8 and all work 100% in my R22. previously, I had another 4 with an old 10/22 and they to were 100% reliable.

I just won't waste my time on any other now, regardless of the cost.

The only mag that's come close to being this reliable in a .22lr is my old Calico M-100 mags.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 8:32:38 AM EDT
Thanks for the 10-14 I'll just stay with the 30rounders
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 6:57:10 PM EDT
Hello, AR-Clint!

Nice to see you again.

I've had some of those Ram Line 50's and a pair of those drums.

Ram Line 50's: Junk. Never got one to work.

Drums: ANNOYING and time-consuming to load but they did work.

My recommendation is to just get the 30's. They're quick to load with those speedloaders (the Butler Creek brand speedloader seems to be the best), they're less expensive, and they work.

...one thing about the speedloader. I was told that Butler Creek was sued by Ramline for copying Ramline's design. Ramline must have had a shaky case because they settled for Butler Creek putting "FOR USE ONLY WITH BUTLER CREEK MAGAZINES" on their packaging. Whether or not the lawsuit thing is anyone's guess, but it's the truth that mine has been used on the Ruger factory 10's, Ramline 30's, Ramline 50's, Butler Creek mags, Condor mags, and some other oddball mag I got at a rummage.

Mike
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 7:50:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/28/2005 5:03:30 AM EDT by eklikwhoa]
tactical innovations steel mag

they have gotten good reviews over at rimfirecentral and are also serviceable.

groupbuy thread with reviews in it
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 4:41:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By eklikwhoa:

groupbuy thread with reviews of the mag

Group buy link is dead..?

Mike
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 5:04:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By prebans:

Originally Posted By eklikwhoa:

groupbuy thread with reviews of the mag

Group buy link is dead..?

Mike

link fixed and heres another one

www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99824&highlight=tactical+innovations+group+buy
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 9:23:46 AM EDT
Okay, I've decided to send them back and trade them in for something else.

Here are my options. Suggestions would be helpfull. I'm looking for quality more than price so I didn't post the prices.

Ramline
25RD MAG 10/22 SINGLE STACK
30RD MAG 10/22 SIDEBYSIDE
30RD MAG 10/22 SIDEBYSIDE

Butler Creek
25RD MAG 10/22 HOT LIPS
25RD MAG 10/22 STEEL LIPS

ProMag
25RD 10/22 POLYMER

Thanks,
Clint
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 11:54:02 AM EDT
i would go with the steel lips, most have had the best luck with them. either that or the hotlips
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 12:43:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/11/2005 12:46:02 PM EDT by uzitiger]
I have the double stack Ram Line 50 rounder but haven't tried it yet. I use Eagle's 30 rounders and ProMag's 25 rounders and they work flawlessly. I don't think I'll buy the drum magazine because it's too expensive even if it works flawlessly, I can buy a lot of Eagle magazines for the same price.

Does anyone have the magazine loader for the 10/22 hi cap magazines (made by either RamLine or Butler Creek)? It would be a lot easier to load the mags if it works right.

A good pouch for the hi cap magazines is an AK pouch which holds four hi cap magazines for the 10/22 and the small pocket can hold the factory magazine.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:17:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/11/2005 8:23:00 PM EDT by pol_pot_47]
ive used the hotlips speed loader before, on my cousin's 50rounder. piece of junk. both, actually. maybe if they wouldve made it out of metal and done a better job keeping everything in spec it would work better, but it just wasnt very good at all. itd jam every six rounds or so, and youd have to take the mag out, push the cartridge in by hand and put it back in the loader. ugh.

im trying to find a nicer speed loader, but as of yet, nothing.

i also have an Eagle 30rounder, the spring doesnt always want to contract, so every so often ill have to hit it once or twice and recharge the gun to get it to go.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:18:29 PM EDT
Have you ever tried lubing up the inside of the mag so there's less friction between the mag wall and the bullets. I bet this would help the spring contracting issue.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:04:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AR_Clint:
Have you ever tried lubing up the inside of the mag so there's less friction between the mag wall and the bullets. I bet this would help the spring contracting issue.

imo that would also attract a lot of dirt and gunk that comes out of the action into the mag.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:59:03 PM EDT
I tried out my Ram Line 50 rounder and it worked flawlessly. It only took 49 rounds and it was a pain to load and it had a sharp edge. This is definitely a magazine which needs a loader.
Top Top