Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 1/9/2015 5:49:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/9/2015 6:55:38 PM EST by TheLionHearted]
As they say, the heart wants what the heart wants.

Both of my pups, side by side harmoniously together just as they will work in the future.

Just one with the AUG by itself. It is a 3.0x scope and I ordered it through Pete. Both Pete and Steyr direct can make your AUG to come with LH Bolt as opposed to a RH bolt so you don't have to pay the extra fee for the LH bolt if you don't need a RH one to begin with.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:09:03 PM EST
Nice Pups!
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 12:32:29 AM EST
very nice man! whats your pups name?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 1:35:12 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/10/2015 1:43:57 AM EST by TheLionHearted]
The top pup is named Sparta, she is a Belgian Malinois and she just turned four months old.

The bottom pup is Ntwadumela or "He who greets with fire", he is the hyena killer.
http://youtu.be/NBC8Y1fQ90I
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:23:53 AM EST
Just a size comparison between the AKMS and the Steyr AUG M1 16"

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 6:30:55 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 7:17:30 PM EST
LOL! Very cute Lazyengineer.

I took the AUG to the range today. I was using Wolf Steel cased ammo and kept having failures every 1-2 rounds so I changed it to adverse settings and it ran very smoothly.

I must admit though, when shooting I can feel the flames from the flash hider in my hand holding the forward grip. It was great to shoot and I'm really looking forward to getting a new reflex sight.

It was only a 25 yard range but I zeroed it in just above the point of aim, should I go back and put it under the point of aim for a 50 yard zero?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 7:36:00 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
http://i59.tinypic.com/wwhqp4.jpg
View Quote

What bag is that?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 8:24:24 PM EST
Originally Posted By TheLionHearted:
LOL! Very cute Lazyengineer.

I took the AUG to the range today. I was using Wolf Steel cased ammo and kept having failures every 1-2 rounds so I changed it to adverse settings and it ran very smoothly.

I must admit though, when shooting I can feel the flames from the flash hider in my hand holding the forward grip. It was great to shoot and I'm really looking forward to getting a new reflex sight.

It was only a 25 yard range but I zeroed it in just above the point of aim, should I go back and put it under the point of aim for a 50 yard zero?
View Quote

Shoot dead on zero at 50 yards, and you should have pretty close to a decent general purpose zero, and be zero'd for 200 yards. At 25 yards, you should be hitting about 1.5" below your aiming point. Check out this thread, starting around posts on 1/5/2015
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_43/435616_So_I_got_an_AUG__A3_M1_.html&page=2

If you know your zero, then knowing that 1 click is 1 MOA (on the 3X), or about 1/4"/click at 25 yards, you should be able to just adjust it at home now to be about 1.5" low - if you recall where you were hitting on that 25 yard target
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:06:25 PM EST

Shoot dead on zero at 50 yards, and you should have pretty close to a decent general purpose zero, and be zero'd for 200 yards. At 25 yards, you should be hitting about 1.5" below your aiming point. Check out this thread, starting around posts on 1/5/2015

If you know your zero, then knowing that 1 click is 1 MOA (on the 3X), or about 1/4"/click at 25 yards, you should be able to just adjust it at home now to be about 1.5" low - if you recall where you were hitting on that 25 yard target
View Quote
Thank you for the info. I was hitting about 1.5" high so I will need to bring it down.

I don't know much about scopes. I am trying to remember, was it the top or right that I need to turn?? Also, which direction do I turn it?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:17:39 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/10/2015 9:18:49 PM EST by lazyengineer]
Thank you for the info. I was hitting about 1.5" high so I will need to bring it down.

I don't know much about scopes. I am trying to remember, was it the top or right that I need to turn?? Also, which direction do I turn it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

If you have an AUG M1 3X - same as mine. Top dial has an arrow leading to an "H". High means "higher".

So if that were my rifle, I would bring it down about 3" at 25 yards. Each click is 1/4 inch at 25 yrs, so I would bring it down 12 clicks. Note there are no audible "clicks", it's a very subtle feel/indent that occurs as you twist it, and you only barely twist it to get to each next click.

Note here by the way that after I zero'd my AUG how I wanted it, I marked a small dot on the housing for reference, to match up with the white dot on the dial. (DON'T do that yet, until you confirm on paper this is where you want it).
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:26:34 PM EST
Unfortunately, I don't have a bull pup photo to share with the group. With the CT AWB, the only way I can get one now is to buy a pre-ban, and I just cant justify the cost (since I already have two gun safes full of guns).

However, I can share a photo of my pup, Connie. She was an absolute terror until she reached 2 years, the worst of the 4 Malinois we have had. Now, she is my best friend, and smart enough to make you swear she was human!

OP, you have a great looking dog there!
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 6:35:18 AM EST
If you have an AUG M1 3X - same as mine. Top dial has an arrow leading to an "H". High means "higher".
http://i58.tinypic.com/einkie.jpg

So if that were my rifle, I would bring it down about 3" at 25 yards. Each click is 1/4 inch at 25 yrs, so I would bring it down 12 clicks. Note there are no audible "clicks", it's a very subtle feel/indent that occurs as you twist it, and you only barely twist it to get to each next click.

Note here by the way that after I zero'd my AUG how I wanted it, I marked a small dot on the housing for reference, to match up with the white dot on the dial. (DON'T do that yet, until you confirm on paper this is where you want it).
View Quote
I just remembered upon looking at my target that the point of impact was lower than the point of aim, lol. Time to readjust it to what it just was!
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 6:42:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/11/2015 11:55:37 AM EST by TheLionHearted]
Originally Posted By msg1956:
Unfortunately, I don't have a bull pup photo to share with the group. With the CT AWB, the only way I can get one now is to buy a pre-ban, and I just cant justify the cost (since I already have two gun safes full of guns).

However, I can share a photo of my pup, Connie. She was an absolute terror until she reached 2 years, the worst of the 4 Malinois we have had. Now, she is my best friend, and smart enough to make you swear she was human!

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy285/reswhiz/Jan122011Snowstorm005.jpg

OP, you have a great looking dog there!
View Quote
Beautiful dog you have there MSG1956, Sparta can be quite the little a-hole but we've been getting her some training which has helped a lot. Now she is allowed to leave her playpen and crate often and roam the living room/dining area/kitchen. We don't have yard but I take her to the dog park to play with other dogs for approximately 2 hours a day which is great! I work from home so having other dogs tire her out so I can bring her home and actually do some work is helpful.

She is really a great dog and we love her to death. She doesn't do a lot of the naughty things that other dogs do, my biggest concern is her eating things and biting things and chewing things she shouldn't.

I got her to be a protection dog, to protect the wife whilst I'm not home and the home whilst I am and have been practicing biting with her on her tug toys. It is getting to the stage where she is not biting the tug toy unless I give her the word to do so. I also try and stop her from being distracted whilst she has the tug toy in her mouth so I've been covering her eyes, playing with her ears, swatting her in the fact and jabbing her in the ribs while she does it and she's been pretty good about not letting go. Of course, the downside to this occurred the other day when I tried to pull a plastic bag out of her mouth and she mistook the skin between my thumb and index finger as the bag. She grabbed on hard with those long pointy puppy teeth and wouldn't let go. I had to pull my hand out which left some cuts and had me bleeding. I'm now working on putting water on her when she has the tug toy, so far she lets go but I'll keep at it!
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 6:55:11 AM EST
The top pup is named Sparta, she is a Belgian Malinois and she just turned four months old.

The bottom pup is Ntwadumela or "He who greets with fire", he is the hyena killer.
http://youtu.be/NBC8Y1fQ90I
View Quote

thats awesome...ive always wanted a Belgian Malinois!! good looking dog
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:40:45 PM EST
Originally Posted By trackstarpre:

View Quote
They are great dogs. I initially lamented at not being able to get a German Shepherd but am over the moon with a Belgian Malinois. She is the perfect size and just awesome.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:42:39 PM EST
I am surprised how easy the AUG manipulations are for someone left hand and eye dominant like myself.

You can reload and manipulate the charging handle with the ejection port facing the ground for better extraction for malfunctions. Very happy with it indeed.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 4:23:48 PM EST
They are great dogs. I initially lamented at not being able to get a German Shepherd but am over the moon with a Belgian Malinois. She is the perfect size and just awesome.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By trackstarpre:

Mals are fantastic dogs. They are highly intelligent, who need a job, or they WILL find something to do. We got Connie, the dog in the picture, when she was 11 weeks old as a rescue. Within several months, she developed the habit of trying to destroy EVERY square inch of the house, and everything in it. Attempts to kennel her only caused her to break her canine teeth off on the bars. My final solution was to lock her in a room with nothing valuable when I went to work, and throw in a 12 cube box (I would bring one home daily from work). She would proceed to methodically shred the box into 1/2"x1/2" confetti. She also turn very nasty towards strangers (I raised her from 11 weeks, and she was always treated like a family member, and heavily socialized, so who knows where that came from). At 2, she suddenly changed, stopped all destructive behavior, and by introducing her to the Frisbee (she is never without it, see the picture), she started treating everyone as a potential Frisbee launcher, and turned into a social butterfly.

I have had 4 Malinois, and each was different, but all more human than dog. Hell, one of them taught herself how to turn door knobs, and open doors when ever she wanted!

Sure wish I had an AUG to go with them!
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:17:06 PM EST

View Quote
Okay, so I went back to the range today and shot at 25 yards.

This is the grouping I was getting. I was using a 40 round magazine and it wasn't easy to be incredibly precise, if I had a better platform I bet I could have got a better group.

Should this be sufficient for a 50yd zero?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:57:40 PM EST

This is the grouping I was getting. I was using a 40 round magazine and it wasn't easy to be incredibly precise, if I had a better platform I bet I could have got a better group.

Thanks!

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b640/thelionhearted1/IMG_0276_zpsd3eeeb17.jpg
View All Quotes

Thanks!

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b640/thelionhearted1/IMG_0276_zpsd3eeeb17.jpg

Works for me - I'd leave it there, and figure you'll be hitting zero at 50 yards, 1.2" high at 100 yards. And zero again at 200 yards. But you should fire at paper at those ranges first before you can say that for sure.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:17:59 PM EST

Works for me - I'd leave it there, and figure you'll be hitting zero at 50 yards, 1.2" high at 100 yards. And zero again at 200 yards. But you should fire at paper at those ranges first before you can say that for sure.
View Quote
Awesome stuff! Will I need to re-zero this when I get some 75gr Hornady TAP? Or will this zero work?
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:37:46 PM EST
Awesome stuff! Will I need to re-zero this when I get some 75gr Hornady TAP? Or will this zero work?
View All Quotes

I found that 55 ball and 75 gr have about the same zero at 200 yards (if that's the range zero'd for), but that 75 gr shoots a little high at 50 and 100 yards with that zero. not terrible, it's spelled out in the thread I posted actually. But bottom line, if you zero for 55 ball for 50 yards, you should be within around 2" of zero for all ammo at all ranges between about 30 yards and 220 yards (ish). Which is why i like the 50 yard zero.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:37:55 AM EST
I found that 55 ball and 75 gr have about the same zero at 200 yards (if that's the range zero'd for), but that 75 gr shoots a little high at 50 and 100 yards with that zero. not terrible, it's spelled out in the thread I posted actually. But bottom line, if you zero for 55 ball for 50 yards, you should be within around 2" of zero for all ammo at all ranges between about 30 yards and 220 yards (ish). Which is why i like the 50 yard zero.
View Quote
Wonderful! Will my 16" barrel make much of a difference there? I noticed that yours was 18".
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:36:24 AM EST
Originally Posted By JoshNC:

What bag is that?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JoshNC:
http://i59.tinypic.com/wwhqp4.jpg

What bag is that?

USMC deployment bag.