Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2007 8:45:33 PM EDT
I decided to go in for a new CMP stock set, as I plan on having my rifle re-parkerized later this year, after shooting the hell out of it.  I expected a several month wait for the stock, but it only took about a month to come in.  I was also suprised that CMP required a signature for delivery of the stock, hardly a dangerous item.

Here are some pics:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j130/blood_donor/garand/Garand_new_stock_vs_old_DSC02687.jpg
New and Old

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j130/blood_donor/garand/garand_new_stock_side_DSC02685.jpg
CMP Cartouche

The CMP stock is substantially rougher feeling than the old stock.  Not surprising, considering the years of handling and all the oil and grease that is embedded in the old stock.  It also seems to be slightly larger in size, perhaps because the wood hasn't had 50 years to dry?  

The swap wasn't too hard, until I had to do the top handguard clip.  Much cursing was used as I struggled to get the clip off the old piece and onto the new one without damaging anything too badly.  I did nick the new handguard, but it will get some scrapes from being fired, so NBD.  Everything was a very tight fit, and I had to use a narrow wood chisel to deepen the groove under the trigger, because I was not able to pull the trigger far enough to drop the hammer.  So much for a "drop-in" fit!

So, for my questions; what should I do to the CMP stock?  I don't want a super-shiny shellacked look, that wouldn't be consistent with the M1.  I was thinking of some fine (finer than the 120 they used) sanding, and a few coats of something. Tung oil?  semi-gloss polyurethane?

What do you guys recommend?

ETA--

My local do-it-yourself store didn't have Minwax, but they did have Formby's, so I picked up a pint of Fornby's Tung Oil finish.  First coat is on and it looks decent and doesn't smell bad at all.  Will post pics when it is done.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:48:24 PM EDT
[#1]
sucks that your cartouche is half gone Nice looking grain in the wood though.  I've heard of people just rubbing tung oil into them and calling it a day, and others have dyed/stained them before they applied the tung oil.  It's all up to you really, just search around for a picture of what you want it to look like and I'm sure someone can help.

BTW....what are you going to be doing with your old stock set?  I might be interested in buying it from you depending on how the stock on the one of my 2 M1's looks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:25:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Minwax tungoil and minwax stain if you want it darker.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:00:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I used about 2-3 coats of TruOil and steel wool inbetween coats.  Then, I rubbed some stock sheen on it.  All that has gotten rid of the rough feel.  The CMP stock is the top one.

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:03:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Get some of those decorative upholstery tacks and tap them into the stock in a pattern and tie a leather thong into the trigger guard hole. Then you can call it the crazy horse edition of the m1.

I'm just kidding of course.

If I understand you right, you don't want to change the color, just the finish without making it shiny.  If that's your goal, avoid any polyurethanes and commercial finishes.  Tru oil will fill the pores and shine a bit.  I kinda like the look of truoil myself.  

I'd use tung oil, you can buy a can of it in Lowe's.  It'll be be called scandanavian tung oil I beleive.  Boiled Linseed oil would work too but is less durable and protects from moisture less.  Avoid the tung oil finishes that are mostly varnish anyhow.  They have very little or even no tung oil in them.  They would shine on you too.  if that's all you can find or what you want, you can knock the shine down with steel wool after the last coat.

O and BLO will darken over time and your new stock will take on the reddish color of your old stock.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top