Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2005 7:59:24 PM EDT
So Ipulled out the M44 and put five rounds in the mag and went to close the bolt and it wouldn't close. I tried opening and closing it  few times and it simply wouldn't close. I emptied the mag and the bolt closes fine. So I thought it was maybe the ammo, maybe the neck length was off or soemthing; shooting wolf facotry ammo. I grab another box pul out a few rounds, put them in the mag and the first one chambers, although with very, very slight resistance. So I touch the round off and now I can't open the bolt to eject the spent case. I opened the magazine for the bottom and got all the live rounds out. It appears that the bolt binds up on the front of the receiver when tryng to chamber the a round and binds up on the back of the receiver on thrying to eject the round. Any help is very much appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 7:36:13 AM EDT
[#1]
There are two great forums with tons of info on mosin Nagants.  They are Gunboards and Parallax Bill's.  The sit e addressesvare:

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/

http://p077.ezboard.com/bparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums

The people there can help you with this problem.  

Is this rifle new to you?  If so it may merely  be a question of cleaning solidified goop out of the chamber.  If it is in the chamber, it may also be in the barrel.    Using a rubber or wodden mallet  should do the trick to open the bolt.  

Link Posted: 11/25/2005 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#2]
The problem with the bolt closing is probably from the extractor. The claw needs to snap over the rim of the cartridge upon closing. Sometimes, the extractor is overbuilt and will resist snapping over the rim . It happened to me two days ago at the range on one occasion. The solution to this is to carefully bend the extractor to reduce the tension. Just a little does the job most of the time.

Your second problem is unfamiliar to me. I want to say stuck case. Try having a friend attempt to tap the cartridge from the muzzle end with a cleaning rod while you provide constant force on the bolt handle to open the bolt. The case neck might be deformed from a rough chamber or dirt and the case is getting hung up on it. A quick tap with a rod might be enough to jar it loose.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 10:06:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Also with all Mosin's you need to check out the chamber and it's recommended to give it a good cleaning.

Get a .44 or .45 caliber bore brush put it on a cleaning rod attached to drill (low rpm's), and proceed to clean the chamber real good.    A small film of Cosmoline in many Mosin's has dried up and will cause sticky bolts.

As pointed out above, visit Surplusrifles as it has a wealth of information on C&R rifles.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 10:52:06 AM EDT
[#5]
So if I understand you guys correctly then it is a cleaning issue that I need to look more closely for cosmoline and such and then also looking at fixing the extractor. Right?
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 11:39:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Mosin chambers tend to be CAKED with cosmoline.

My M44 has seen quite a bit of action, and cases still tend to want to stick in the chamber when it starts heating up.

That may not be causing your issue, but if you haven't scrubbed the chamber thoroughly, you're going to want to do that anyway.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So if I understand you guys correctly then it is a cleaning issue that I need to look more closely for cosmoline and such and then also looking at fixing the extractor. Right?

For Mosin extractors and other parts here Tennesse gun parts

How to disassemble a Mosin and everything else you need to know about them 7.62x54R.net
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 2:30:11 PM EDT
[#8]
This is going to sound a bit off, but try giving it a real hard crank to open the bolt like you want to break it. Tilt the rifle to the left so you can get your palm under the bolt handle for leverage and push mighty hard on it. I came back from the range today and my friend was having problems opening the bolt on my 91/30 like your on your M44. He wasn't able to open it but I was able to. I think he was afraid of cranking on it good thinking it would snap. I know otherwise because the rifle is damned near indestructible. A cheater bar and mallet may be needed as a last resort.

Not enough leverage:

Maybe enough leverage:
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 2:37:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
This is going to sound a bit off, but try giving it a real hard crank to open the bolt like you want to break it. Tilt the rifle to the left so you can get your palm under the bolt handle for leverage and push mighty hard on it. I came back from the range today and my friend was having problems opening the bolt on my 91/30 like your on your M44. He wasn't able to open it but I was able to. I think he was afraid of cranking on it good thinking it would snap. I know otherwise because the rifle is damned near indestructible. A cheater bar and mallet may be needed as a last resort.

Not enough leverage:
tinypic.com/huq42e.jpg

Maybe enough leverage:
tinypic.com/huq455.jpg

Hehe, I  don't even bother with the first picture on my M44.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks CK1 a little leverage is all I needed. Thanks to the rest of you for letting me know that I need to give it a good deep cleaning past getting rid of the cocmline like I did months ago. That shell that came out was dirty as two dollar whore after a weekend of shore leave.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 5:57:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 10:28:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Glad it's out.

I'd leave the extractor alone if it closes OK. Otherwise find ammo with a thinner rim and/or copper wash case instead of laquer.

Thanks RS39. But actually the Wolf ammo that I am buying for the Nagant is a copper case and jacket. Or do they lacquer those too? If they do then I will switch ammo. Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Good to know thanks RS39.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 6:33:19 AM EDT
[#15]
shit, the piece the rounds sit on,when you stuff them in the mag. maybe follower? but if you got that turned around it could cause the feeding problem. i did that once with my savage and it was a single shot that day at the range. dont know if that can happen with the nag but it might help. the sticky bolt is cosmo or head spacing way off,very bad.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:46:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Tag for all of the helpful hints.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top