Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » GSG-5
Posted: 12/31/2011 2:34:21 PM EDT
I bought a GSG-522 carbine over a year ago. I was very excited about it when I picked it up at the shop. I then became even more excited when I discovered all the fun accessories that could be fitted, and I proceeded to purchase quite a few. By the time I was done with it, the rifle looked incredible.

The rifle functioned very well out of the box, and was a pleasure to shoot. However, after a couple months, I was surprised to notice that my rifle had changed color! The receiver and cocking tube assemblies went from a nice matte black to a dull gray that actually looked a sickly green at times. This has been documented by other owners on this forum as well. A green MP5 clone just didn’t do it for me.

I contacted ATI and was told to send the rifle back to have replacement parts fitted. I sent back the applicable parts instead. Weeks elapsed without hearing back, so I called ATI and was then informed that the replacement GSG-522 parts were not available, and there was no anticipated ETA for their arrival. I was to be notified when they became available. In the meantime, my original parts were sent back to me. They arrived a bit scratched and banged up, which I was not very pleased with. I had packed them well when I sent them in.

The rifle had functioned well, so I decided to just live with the chameleon like color changing. Then other issues began to crop up. Every single time I would clean the rifle (after 100-200 rounds), the bolt jacket screws would always be loose. I tried blue lock-tite, and even various lock washers. No matter what, they would come loose again. I upgraded all the screws on the rifle… they still came loose on the bolt. I also had the barrel rotate itself slightly which caused ejection problems. It did seem to remain tight after applying lock-tite. The magazines would also start to spread apart vertically when fully loaded. The mag loading thumb-slider also needed lock-tite on the screw, as my original mag fell apart. Also, if the magazine was bumped during firing, it would fail to feed properly.

I decided to once again contact ATI in regards to the color changing. I received no response. So, apparently the parts still aren’t available 10 months later.

I have since sold the GSG and have replaced it with the Walther made MP5 A5 22lr. I am very satisfied with it and have yet to have a single issue with it.

- The fit & finish is superb.
- It is easier to clean.
- The magazines are better (they have clips along the front and back so the mags don’t spread apart when fully loaded like the GSG mags can). They also have a 25rd capacity.
- The plastic parts seem more solid (trigger housing & hand guard).
- The sights are better and have a matte finish instead of shiny which made the GSG sights difficult at times.
- No screws have come loose or needed to be replaced with aftermarket screws.
- The all metal collapsible stock is excellent. If this stock was an aftermarket GSG accessory, it would probably cost $150 - $200.
- And… the rifle is still black!

I enjoyed the GSG-522, but in the end, the issues I had with mine became too much of a hassle. I would still consider a GSG-5 PK. Perhaps in the future the issues will be ironed out.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#1]
if you don't mind next time you have your new one apart could you take pics and post them so we that have not seen the internals can see the differences between them. I am curious
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been strongly disappointed and dismayed at ATI's lack of customer care.  I will never buy another ATI product and will do my best to dissuade anyone I know from buying anything ATI sells.  Not to be offensive but they suck.  MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE!
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:37:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is a photo of the Walther MP5 disassembled. It can be taken down like this in under 30 seconds with no tools.

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/9074/walthermp51.jpg

As you can see, the barrel is attached to the slide housing. There is really no reason to take it down further, as this gives you all the access you should require for a routine and thorough cleaning. If you did wish to take it down further, there are five screws on the housing that are removed to gain access to the slide, or to remove the barrel, etc. The ejector is very securely held in place between the two sides of the housing. No chance of it coming loose. The main spring can be removed without disassembling the slide housing. This is done by removing the screw for the bolt speed adjustment at the back of the housing.

This photo shows what the slide assembly looks like. There are no screws to work loose.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/7020/walthermp52.jpg

The screws on the slide housing and receiver all have nuts and loctite on them from the factory.

Like the GSG-5/522, it has a thin barrel, which I don't find to be an issue for a 22lr. I do like how it has additional support for the full length of the barrel via the sleeve.

The magazines can also be disassembled for cleaning without tools. There is a recessed push button release on the bottom of the mag.
Page Armory » GSG-5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top