Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 10/24/2006 11:53:41 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/25/2006 2:31:11 PM EST by SnprPSG1]
This is my first C&R weapon. I purchased it a few weeks back(before I got my C&R ffl) at the Harrisburg, PA show. I have an Enfield and CZ50 pistol on order, purchased with my newly acquired ffl.

I refinished the wood and cleaned her all up.

Please comment(good or bad).

Thanks for looking!

Link Posted: 10/24/2006 11:54:58 AM EST
It's official - I need a Mauser.
What dealer did you buy it from and how much did it cost you?
What condition is the bore in?
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 11:57:32 AM EST

Originally Posted By thedoctors308:

I recommend a yugo m48 from aim. It will cost about $135 shipped w/ handpick.

OP - NICE rifle.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 12:01:09 PM EST
Very nice man, very nice.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 12:18:23 PM EST
I don't remember which dealer it was I picked it up from. It was the nicest one he had. I only paid $200.00 out the door for it.

The bore looks really nice to me, lands and grooves look well defined. I still need too clean out the bore real good. I should have a nice little package arriving from Brownell's tomorrow; Dewey rods, 8mm bore brushes, etc. I am sure once I scrub out the bore it will look even better.

I know the purest would be appalled that I refinished it, but I bought it to shoot, not to sit in the safe or for re-sale.

It was so much fun doing this project, I am ruined now. I am REALLY enjoying this C&R stuff. This is the first time I have EVER re-finished any type of firearm stock.

Thanks for the compliments!!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 2:10:13 PM EST
Nice Mauser. It is a Russian Capture and the price was about right. I have seen them go for up to $300 at some shops. It was made by Gustloff-Werke in Weimer. Nice job e refinishing the stock. Many people do this with Russian Capture rifles. Did the Russians leave the Swastika's in the proof marks? The little swastick is usually pinged out.

If you haven't yet totally disassembled the bolt for cleaning I would do this before firing it. There is usually a lot of hardened cosmolene in there which slows down the firing pin. I would also get a ne Wolff #22 pound firing pin spring for it. It would not be unusual for the spring to be a bit weak.

American commercial 8mm ammo is loaded on the weak side. Milsurp and commercial European ammo will have more kick to it. Of you want to complete the rifle, a cleaning rod, sight hood and locking screws are available at Numrich's. There is no reason not to shoot this rifle.

Nice rifle.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 2:41:40 PM EST
gaweidert,

Thanks for the info on where it was made!

I believe that is a Russian Capture, but I do not know how to tell. Yes all the eagle's with swats are intact. I did the painting myself. the one eagle above the serial number on the receiver is light so I could not get the paint to stick to it with out wiping it away.

My main FFL dealer took the bolt apart and it looked new inside. We did not see any cosmo in it. I will definitely get the new spring. Thanks for the heads up! I have some non-corrosive 8mm Hirtenberger to shoot through her. I have a front sight hood for it, just gotta pry it apart to get it on. I have the locking screws on order also.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 2:55:24 PM EST
sweet rifle yep i got to get another 1 now
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 5:30:30 PM EST
electropenciled bolt and pinged swastika indicate an RC. The Russians just tossed components into blueing tanks. Very few matching RCs. Your rifle looks great. Good job refinishing her. She looks faithful to history. Just finish her with the nick-nacks and shoot the hell out of her. It's gratifying to hear a rifle roar back to life after a 60 year slumber.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 6:42:20 PM EST
Over all, damn rifle looks sweet as hell, if it shoot half as good as it looks, you made out like a bandit.

About a month ago, I'd purchased a M48 from a local gun show for $150 out the door, could have got the same rifle cheaper online, but wouldnt have got to look it over in person before making purchase, so I feel like I came out pretty good on this M48 Yugo mauser.

She is a beaut, but not as nice as yours.

Look forward to hearing a range report.

TG
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 7:03:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/24/2006 7:06:05 PM EST by SnprPSG1]
I took the pics too early, was so excited about having her back together. She now sports the front sight hood and a sling. I am not going to bother with buying a cleaning rod.

I guess I lucked out with mine not having the swastika's pinned out, they are definitely clear. But the bolt being electra-penciled is obvious. That's ok I can live with a russian captured.

THANKS too ALL for the kind words!!

Hope to shoot her next weekend, I will post the results.

What to buy next!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 7:16:08 PM EST

Originally Posted By Justa_TXguy:

Originally Posted By thedoctors308:

I recommend a yugo m48 from aim. It will cost about $135 shipped w/ handpick.

OP - NICE rifle.

+1 on the M48, we got ours for only about $110 OTD. Great shooter, I just don't like the way the bolt feels, almost feels sticky, but it doesn't bother me too much.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 10:06:35 AM EST
Nothing wrong with Russian Capture Mausers. Elite collectors snub them, but who cares? These are for shooting. They have a lot of history behind them. Don't get paranoid about corrosive ammo. I shoot it all the time. I clean with Hoppe's No 9 Nitro Powder Solvent, and then spray a little EEZOX down the bore when I am done. Some people pour hot watter down the barrel from the breech. This works too. Pour water and then clean as normal. What you are removing when you shoot corrosive ammo is a salt residue from the primer.

Link Posted: 10/25/2006 10:11:08 AM EST
That is a beautiful 98k. I'd like to get one before the prices go through the roof. I did get a Yugo Mauser a couple of months ago that looks like it just left the factory.

BTW- What's the condition of the Yugo M48s from AIM?
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 11:13:32 AM EST
Excellent job on the refinish project.

Get a bunch of cheap milsurp ammo and get to shooting.

Here's some information in case you've never shot corrosive ammo:

Cleaning After Corrosive Ammo

Great job. Enjoy it!
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 1:19:18 PM EST
Wow. Very nice. I have seen some real dogs go for $200.00 w/ pinged swazis and pitting. You did good. It looks very clean with good markings and the stock looks great ( I love the laminated stocks!). Did you find any German stamps on the stock after you cleaned it? I found 4 eagle over 280's(?) on mine after I cleaned all the crappy russian varnish off. Need to get ya a sight hood, cleaning rod and sling to finish her off.

Mark
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 1:53:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/25/2006 1:55:39 PM EST by glimmerman68]

Originally Posted By gaweidert:
Nothing wrong with Russian Capture Mausers. Elite collectors snub them, but who cares? These are for shooting. They have a lot of history behind them. Don't get paranoid about corrosive ammo. I shoot it all the time. I clean with Hoppe's No 9 Nitro Powder Solvent, and then spray a little EEZOX down the bore when I am done. Some people pour hot watter down the barrel from the breech. This works too. Pour water and then clean as normal. What you are removing when you shoot corrosive ammo is a salt residue from the primer.

BIG +1

You can also use Windex to neutralize the corrosive salts, I also like Hoppe's Elite gun cleaner after the Windex.

I can't recall where, but I know somebody sells front sight shrouds, to me a K98 is not complete without one.

Find a good gunsmith and have the barrel cut down to 16", then you'll have a G33/40.

Edit; that's damn nice looking rifle.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:59:12 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2006 7:08:29 AM EST by bradleyc]
First of all, excellent job on the stock.

The bcd code indicates your rifle was made at Gustloff Werke, Weimar in 1943. With a bore as good as it sounds, it may have been rebarreled. You can research the markings and find out where the barrel came from.

ETA: Looks like your barrel is from the subcontractor Ruhrstahl A.G., Presswerke Brackwede, Brackwede bei Bielefeld and was made in 1943. It may well be the original barrel.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:21:27 AM EST
Ahhhh, there's that front sight hood, and a sling too. Sweet.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 10:02:10 AM EST
I love RCs! I like how your stock came out. I refinished the laminated stock on one of my RCs and it did not come out as well as on my solid walnut stock.

I only have two so far, but I am only going to collect one single factory. I really like the ERMA produced mausers, so that it what I am going to stick to. So far, I have a '27' and an 'ax', both made in 1940 as that was a transition year in markings for the Erfurt factory.

This picture is old, the laminated stock has not been refinished yet and has the Russian shellac on it still.

Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:06:18 PM EST
why do you like Erma?
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:25:45 PM EST

Originally Posted By bradleyc:
why do you like Erma?

For several reasons. It is one of the least common makers, but not so rare that they are hard to find or super expensive like BSW. They also have very good quality in terms of the milling. I also like the old gothic script they use for the 'Mod 98'.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:57:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2006 7:02:06 PM EST by MauserMark]
Gooch, did you re-blue them?

SnprPSG1, outstanding K98.

I had to sell my only RC earlier this year for emergency funds, got back more than what I paid for it from AIM and had refinished the metal and wood. Don't kid yourself, in 10 years it will still be worth more than what you paid for it now. Will it command a premium that an all matching untouched K98 will bring? Obviously not, but it will still retain value simply because it's a German K98 with some German markings.

The next K98 RC I get I'll refinish the wood as well, I can't stand the look of the cosmo/shellac soaked stocks that the Russians sent over, they look so much better stripped and dried.

-mark
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:09:33 PM EST
Gooch, Very fine 98k's you have. They look in mint shape!! You did a fine job on the wood also.

Mauser, THANKS!! I hope to add another later down the road, just gotta find another that still has the markings intact. It does not bother me one bit either that it is a RC, adds a little more it's history.

Ya'll have turned me into a C&R freak, can't get enough.

But the funds only allows so much , LOL!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:49:08 PM EST

Originally Posted By MauserMark:
Gooch, did you re-blue them?

SnprPSG1, outstanding K98.

I had to sell my only RC earlier this year for emergency funds, got back more than what I paid for it from AIM and had refinished the metal and wood. Don't kid yourself, in 10 years it will still be worth more than what you paid for it now. Will it command a premium that an all matching untouched K98 will bring? Obviously not, but it will still retain value simply because it's a German K98 with some German markings.

The next K98 RC I get I'll refinish the wood as well, I can't stand the look of the cosmo/shellac soaked stocks that the Russians sent over, they look so much better stripped and dried.

-mark

Nope!

They have nearly all of the blueing, though it is Russian. They also had this crappy black paint stuff that was on all of the metal. It started to come off with Hoppes #9 and I took the rest off with some acetone. The nice blue was underneath the black gunk.

The '27' has a fantastic bore and shoots very good. The 'ax' bore is worn pretty bad and frosted. It shot all over the target.

One thing that I found out after cleaning the solid walnut stock was that it has the correct factory 280 stamps for ERMA, but the eagles on it are the old bent wing Weimar eagles, so that makes it a pre-war stock. I just thought it was neat that an ERMA stock found its way back onto an ERMA rifle dispite all of the parts from captured rifles were seperated and put in huge piles.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:35:45 PM EST
Beautiful rifle.

Congratulations.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:34:05 AM EST
I have a 1937 RC K98 Laminate. This is a nice perwar example that Did Not come with a front site hood from the factory. Im about to take her apart and clean her up also. Thanks for motorvating me. WarDawg
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:12:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/29/2006 7:22:13 PM EST by MauserMark]
oh, one more thing. Try to find an original, or at least a well worn sling, it will look much better.

my only K98 at the moment. These Yugo captures are a totally different breed. Usually they remove most of the bluing (or do very little after removing the markings) and all marks except the Mod 98 are removed. They're still very nice, the bores are usually in really good condition, this one has a pristine bore. All I did was bleed the stock of cosmo over a few days then applied a few coats of BLO.

-mark
Top Top