Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 3/2/2006 5:04:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/2/2006 9:14:22 AM EDT by SteelonSteel]
Here is the CMP M1903 I got in January after I cleaned it up.

It's a mixmaster made in 1929, rebarreled, and probably not in it's original stock. From what I researched the 1929 guns should have been in C stocks but mine is in a straight stock with grasping grooves. The bolt is probably a replacement too.

I like it overall, I'm glad I got a grasping groove stock, they look cool, I wish it wasn't "patched" at the heel though. I might restock in a C stock so it will be more comfortable shooting and back to it's from the factory configuration. I might also put USMC Springfield sights on it, the original is very thin and disappears on me. I'm not worried about keeping just as I got it, as it's a mixmaster anyhow.

Well I'm waiting for the Big White Truck for my M1 to be delivered from CMP today. I'll post pics of that in another thread.

SoS

OMFG, Sorry my photo skills suck, I thought these got resized correctly. WTF is that instruction manual?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:28:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:02:10 PM EDT
You got very lucky. Most dont look that nice.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:29:23 PM EDT
Man, that looks awesome.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:51:43 PM EDT
Thanks!

It looked pretty homely out of the box......one big gob of grease and cosmoline. I wish I had the digital camera then!

I disassembled it all except I left the front sight together and the barrel band on loose and took a heat gun to the barrel and receiver. I poured boiling water over all the small parts and dryed and reoiled them (work fast there because the rust does!)

The stock I took the rags and turpentine to get the thick raw cosmo off the stock. Then I took the heat gun to the stock to get the oil out of it, well most of it anyway. Then I used alcohol and paper towels to get the dirt and oil. Then I left it that way for several weeks sometimes placing the stock in front of the furnace overnight to draw more oil out and repeated the alcohol rub downs. Then I did 4 coats of raw linseed oil.

SoS
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:57:20 PM EDT
Nice rifle.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:40:08 PM EDT
re: your stock

Is it a Rock Island Stock by chance? Look on the tip for an RI or an S.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:46:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dracster:
re: your stock

Is it a Rock Island Stock by chance? Look on the tip for an RI or an S.

I think it's a Springfield replacement stock but it's been sanded, no QM wheel on the stock nose. There were some marks in the magazine cutoff, a mid size J, and a large R just outside that cut, the maybe shadow of a dod acceptance mark on the Left side, and two P s on the pistol grip for refurbs and an 8 of all things on the belly of the stock just above the magazine floor plate. some Zorba numbers on the stock, and a couple of smaller letters by the lower sling swivel, also said to be put there by the greeks.

SoS
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:07:48 PM EDT
I got one of the first ones out of the crate last year, and it was a Remington WW2 rebuilt Springfield with a 1927 made reciever and a 1931 SA barrel, but it was re-parked and had a new scant wood stock on it. It looks "as new" and was probably sent to Greece but never issued. Yours is the first Greek I've seen without the re-parking and with the older wood. Nice! Enjoy it! A GREAT rifle!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:41:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gewamser:
I got one of the first ones out of the crate last year, and it was a Remington WW2 rebuilt Springfield with a 1927 made reciever and a 1931 SA barrel, but it was re-parked and had a new scant wood stock on it. It looks "as new" and was probably sent to Greece but never issued. Yours is the first Greek I've seen without the re-parking and with the older wood. Nice! Enjoy it! A GREAT rifle!

No, the pictures must be deceptive. It's definitely been black parked, most likely by the Greeks. It's pretty soft parkerization, I'd rather have the US army depot refinish. I guess some of the originals were US black parked after WWI. This most likely was greek as it has a 1944 High Standard barrel that would have been grey park during that time frame and subsequently redone in black while on loan.

SoS
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:40:37 AM EDT
Just to be anal, the "Greek black" isn't parkerization. It's bluing. I have a Rem. 03 and a SC 03A3 that are my keeper/shooters and both have the black finish. The purists turn their noses up at the abomination but to me it's a nice looking finish. The Greeks did have some problems with it though. Some of the refinished recievers came out purplish.
Top Top