Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2009 7:09:06 AM EDT
He has never signed a form before,new to the job.So he is wondering what he is
signing.Is it just that he knows what I'm going to have,a suppressor,or he giving his
permission for me to have it in the area?

So what does he need to know about the form?I'm just as new to this as he is.

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:21:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Long and short he is acknowledge you are not in violation of any local ordinance and are not a known offender of any nature.

Dan
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:22:35 AM EDT
[#2]
He's signing that you're not a dangerous criminal.  That's about it.  It's not permission, as if he refuses to sign you can go the trust route.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:44:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
He's signing that you're not a dangerous criminal.  That's about it.  It's not permission, as if he refuses to sign you can go the trust route.

And what is the trust route? Please explain.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:09:00 AM EDT
[#4]

it says right on the form what he is signing...

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:11:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And what is the trust route? Please explain.

A trust or corporation purchasing class 2/3 items do not need a CLEO sign of as they are entities not persons.  To do this you must form a trust or corporation, and that entity buys nad owns the item not you the individual.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:15:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

signing.Is it just that he knows what I'm going to have,a suppressor,or he giving his

Thanks for any help.

Read the form?

It clearly states he is signing to attest to the fact their are no laws precluding you from possessing it, or that you will use it illegally.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:34:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Back in 1934, when the National Firearms Act was passed, there were no national databases containing lists of people who had committed crimes.  So, the good folks in Washington, DC had no idea of whether or not Joe Blow in Anytown, USA should own a machine gun or not.

Enter the county Sheriff, who most likely had a good read of the folks in his county, and who knew who could be trusted, and who couldn't.  By signing the form, local LE was assuring the folks in DC that he knew of no reason to deny the transfer.  With the subsequent creation of NCIC/NICS the CLEO requirement is really outdated and should go away.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:52:07 AM EDT
[#8]
By signing, he is saying:

"I have no information indicating that the transferee will use the firearm or device described on this application for other than lawful purposes. I have no information that the receipt or possession of the firearm or device described in item 4 would be [sic] place the transferee in violation of State or local law."
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:59:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for any help.
Read the form?

It clearly states he is signing to attest to the fact their are no laws precluding you from possessing it, or that you will use it illegally.

I don't have the form yet,I talked to him to see if he has ever done this before and he said no.Then he asked me what it said,I didn't know,so that's why I'm asking.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:14:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for any help.
Read the form?

I don't have the form yet,I talked to him to see if he has ever done this before and he said no.Then he asked me what it said,I didn't know,so that's why I'm asking.

Well you can download all the forms here to look at what it says: http://www.titleii.com/TitleII.com/Forms.html

17. Law Enforcement Certification (See instruction 2e)
I certify that I am the chief law enforcement officer of the organization named below having jurisdiction in the area of residence of (Name of Transferee). I have no information indicating that the transferee will use the firearm or device described on this application for other than lawful purposes. I have no information that the receipt or possession of the firearm or device described in item 4 would be place the transferee in violation of State or local law.

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top