Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2001 7:45:09 AM EDT
I've finally got my AR-10 assembled with the KAC M5 RAS, Armalite NM trigger, ARMS #22 Rings and B&L Elite 4200 4-16x50mm scope, KAC bipod addapter & Harris Bipod.  I am only lacking my flip up back up irons to complete this project!....  Detals and pictures can be found at  www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=77226

Now I am trying to choose a fairly decent CHEAP ammo to use to break in the barrel and plink plus some better ammo for serious shooting down the road.

I am leaning towards the American Eagle 308 ammo for break in and plinking but I haven't been able to find it!  I am also looking at the Federal Gold Medal Match but I am not sure which load to buy.  I thought that the 168-gr load is most popular... is this correct?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 7:52:20 AM EDT
[#1]
168 grn and 175 grn.
Has your barrel been broken in ?
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 7:55:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Nope... not a single round has been fired through her yet!  That is why I assume it would pay to break her in with cheaper ammo.

Also, this is an Eagle Arms upper/barrel so it is not chrome linned.  Therefore she will need cleaning and attention during the break in period!
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 7:57:40 AM EDT
[#3]
For CHEAP but very accurate ammo, I really like the Portugese surplus .308  It is awesome from my FAL.

Available in 200 round battlepacks from Sportmansguide, Ammoman, Lippy, etc..
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Q. Bore, you might head over to the ArmaLite site as I believe you need to break in this barrel with moly bullets.  (You might also give ArmaLite Technical a call.  Generally pretty helpful folks.)

Any idea where to get another M5 RAS and how much ?
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 8:37:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Q. Bore, you might head over to the ArmaLite site as I believe you need to break in this barrel with moly bullets.  (You might also give ArmaLite Technical a call.  Generally pretty helpful folks.)

You seem to be right as that is what the directions which follow indicate.  This doesn't make any sence to me as a Molly bullet is designed to reduce the friction between the bullet and the bore.  If I am trying to lapp my barrel, why would I want less work done?  It seems to me using molly bullets will only prolong the period it takes to break in the barrel.

As for the RAS, there are many people selling them on these forums.  I bought mine from JT Surplus but that doesn't mean they have the best prices.

So, anybody have an oppinion about Molly vs. non-Molly bullets for break in?

FROM ARMALITE

January 28, 2000

TECHNICAL NOTE 28,
Breaking in Match Barrels

PURPOSE:
To instruct purchasers of ArmaLite match rifles of proper break in procedures.  

BACKGROUND:
All new rifle barrels suffer from internal machine marks that can scratch passing bullets.  Bullet jacket metal can foul the pores of the new barrel.  Leading competitive shooters believe that breaking their barrels in properly can lead to better accuracy and longer life.  

BREAK IN:  
ArmaLite Match Rifle barrels are produced from a custom, target grade blank. For optimum accuracy and improved life expectancy, it MUST be properly broken in. We recommend the following procedure:  

Remove any existing copper fouling from the barrel by using a high-quality copper-removing solvent like Hoppe’s No. 9.

Fire 11 single shots, each followed by about 20 strokes of a tight fitting patch bearing J-B bore cleaner (available from Brownells, 515-623-5401). Use a Parker Hale or other wrap-around style jag rather than a slotted jag. From 12 to 30 shots, clean after each 3 shots. From 31 to 50 shots, clean after each 5 shots. Clean thoroughly with a high quality bore cleaner every 10 shots until 100 shots. This time-consuming process will allow the barrel to smooth out without an accumulation of copper fouling in the pores of the steel. The barrel should thereafter be cleaned every 20 rounds for best match accuracy. Accuracy continues to improve for several hundred rounds as the rifle breaks in.

ArmaLite recommends the use of Black Hills moly coated .223 Win Match ammunition for both break-in and competition.  We believe that Black Hills moly coated ammunition reduces the break in period by half and lengthens the period between cleaning in matches. ArmaLite stocks Black Hills brand ammunition.

VIRTUALLY EVERY ACCURACY PROBLEM IS CAUSED BY FAILURE TO CAREFULLY BREAK THE RIFLE IN, FAILURE TO USE HIGH GRADE MATCH AMMUNITION, OR POOR MARKSMANSHIP.

MAW

Link Posted: 12/11/2001 9:11:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm not big into name dropping but I know the ArmaLite president, Mark Westrom, and he says this is the way to go.
He's also a retired Lt. Colonel - Army.

It is good that you've not fired your weapon as at least you have a choice as to how to proceed.

I believe there's an AR-10 section on this board and ArmaLite personnel are the MODs.  You might also check there.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quarterbore:

I haven't tried them (yet), but you might look into David Tubb's Final Finish system.  It's a bunch of bullets coated with a light abrasive in various grits.  You just fire them through the barrel, and they polish the bore - no cleaning after every round!

Here's a link to a review:

www.zediker.com/tubb/finalfinishkent.html

If you're not a reloader, here's a link to a place that sells loaded rounds with these bullets:

www.arizonaammunition.com/Coated%20Bullets.htm

Like I said, I've no personal experience with this product, but it sounds interesting.  So much so, that I'm going to try it when I get my M4gery complete...

SAB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top