Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/27/2013 9:18:36 AM EST
I'm not here to bash Mossberg because there are people who have made their 930's run but Mossberg should have taken their time a little bit more with this line of shotguns in my opinion. I had a 930 SPX about a year ago. It would fire high brass all day long but would jam on bird loads every single time. The heavy blue spring on the barrel gouged the crap out of the mag tube and couldn't get it to stop. Needless to say I took it back to my gun shop and traded it in. About one year later (yesterday) I walked into a different gun shop and they had another 930SPX on the shelf. Knowing a little more about them I field stripped it to check for mag gouging, canted sights etc... It all checked out , bought it and took it to the range this morning. Ran everything fine, bird shot, slug and buck shot. Got it home to clean it and took the barrel off and the ejector fell out. It appears that it is staked in but obviously wasn't done right. I am done with Mossberg auto shotguns and everything Mossberg in general. I have a 590A1 that runs but everytime I see it I'll just get pissed off. I figured I had a 50-50 shot with the 930SPX but both shit the bed. Not trying to rant but for those of you looking to buy one STAY AWAY!!! Luckily the gun shop will give me credit for it and I'll swap it for something that works.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:25:22 AM EST
I must have gotten lucky. Picked up an spx when they first came out, mine eats everything. Been using it in 3gun for several years, no issues.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:40:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2013 5:41:37 PM EST by mtbrass]
I have "owned" two of them and had issues with both, inconsistent light primer strikes, failures to cycle after firing and failures to extract. I used 2 3/4 buck and slugs, so low base ammo wasn't the issue.

I gave up on them, I do hear about these guns running very well for most people. I wish I was one of them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:53:22 PM EST
I hate to hear that man, mine has been flawless with everything I run through it. +1000 that Mossberg should have taken more time on it. Maybe not the design so much, but QC for sure.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:11:19 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2013 12:12:21 PM EST by number1olddog]
Ill just keep truckin with my good ol 870 tactical for now. I do have a nice 1911 Springfield in place of the 930 now as my gunshop swapped me for it. Maybe I'll save up for a SLP or Benelli.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:41:20 PM EST
My 930 broke into two pieces at the reciever/stock. Mossberg fixed it for free but I sold it and wouldn't buy another
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:27:51 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By number1olddog:
Ill just keep truckin with my good ol 870 tactical for now. I do have a nice 1911 Springfield in place of the 930 now as my gunshop swapped me for it. Maybe I'll save up for a SLP or Benelli.
View Quote

I've been a 870 fan since I was old enough to buy guns, through the years I have owned 20 of them. I have 4 sitting in my safe right now. I wanted to give the 930's a fair chance, but wasn't able to develop a good opinion on them after having 2 back to back bad experiences with them.

I had good luck with an 1100 that I owned for a few years, but I read and heard bad things bout them and 1187's. I ended up keeping my 870's handy, and purchased a used, but very well taken care of Benelli M1, I can vouch for that one.

That gun is worth every dime I paid for it, it's easy to load and shoot. Handles very well, and zero problems with any ammo I have put through it. I can't give an opinion on FN shotguns, never fired one. I understand they are very good guns though.

Good luck on your search.
Top Top