Posted: 1/1/2002 5:46:40 PM EDT
Planning on build my AR15, probally will be
going with a Bushmaster, but don't know which
muzzle brake to get on it,AK style or mini-Y,
and a little fuzzy on why can't I use an old
CAR flash hider on a post ban like the one DPMS
offers ?
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 5:53:08 PM EDT
check out the wilson brake it looks like a preban(flashider) type but is legal for postbans
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 5:56:27 PM EDT
Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 6:39:43 PM EDT
I have a wilson brake on my M15 and it is beautiful. The finish is a perfect match. I recomend them.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:47:55 PM EDT
I have one of these - works like a charm!!

www.m-guns.com/projects.html
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 11:02:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2002 11:04:28 PM EDT by paterpk]
be sure that you understand the effects a muzzle brake will have on noise and muzzle blast felt by you ...AND FELLOW SHOOTERS...before you have one put on... many ranges say it is not welcome. the noise is very loud.. I mean very loud... to every one on the range.
take the rifle out with out your ear plugs just once to try it out...
Their is a very good reason they are not allowed in compition.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 3:13:44 AM EDT
Well while you all are on the subject>>>>I have a Ar-15 I got the kit from JT dist. Its a great gun but there is no way in this world I can shoot I without any protection. Yes common sence says to wear ear plugs, but if what if it was needed in a situation and ear plugs was not practicle? This gun is so loud it will ring your bell. It is a 16" version of this with the same built on brake
http://webcats.net/store/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=J&Product_Code=AR411&Category_Code=BU
Now is there any other brake brake I can get that will soften the noise?Legally?
I noticed they have a 16 commando with the 5.5 flashider is that post band? If so if I had to buy another upper is the 5.5 softer in noise?
Any ideas is appreciated!
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:21:44 AM EDT
Brakes suck.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:36:52 AM EDT
This question has been kicked around on this board for a while. The fact is you really can't have an effective muzzle brake without it making the rifle "VERY" loud. It's just the physics involved. The blast has to be diverted to decrease muzzle rise the diverstion of the gases make the rifle blast come back toward the shooter making it loud.

Another fact is AR shooters hate the bare muzzle look. It makes them feel they've been neutered by the Crime Bill.

I've got a mini y-comb on my bushmaster. The thing doesn't have any muzzle rise but man is it an earbuster.

A 5.56 round doesn't kick at all. For those that think it does take out your friends 8mm Mauser with the steel buttplate and shoot it for a while.

That being said is there a muzzle brake out there that combines the features of not being deafening, looks cool, and maybe even helps just a little on muzzle control.

What I'm talking about is a muzzle brake for combat?
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:38:35 AM EDT
Have you thought about having no brake? Why do you want one at all?

Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:34:32 AM EDT
Looking back at this topic, what do you guys feel is the best combat muzzle brake?

Like I said in my post, looks cool, reduces recoil, and is not an ear buster.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:54:06 AM EDT
"Friends don't let friends buy muzzle brakes."
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:04:36 AM EDT
Armalite makes a bitchin' comp that works like a charm. They are correct about the noise and the damn thing will rattle your teeth, but the rifle dosen't jump at all it's amazing. The reason you can't put a flash hider on a post ban gun is because you are only allowed one "EVIL" feature on your gun and you already have one, the pistol grip. That's why the M1A is allowed to have a flash hider (without bayonet lug of course) it has no pistol grip.

ROCK ON
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 12:12:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2002 12:14:54 PM EDT by Mach1]
Wilson did an excellent job on my AR. I have been very pleased.

Top Top