Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2010 7:55:03 AM EDT
I might be moving to Hawaii and from what I gather no mag can be over 10 rounds.

My questions;

I once saw a device that locked in the mag to the weapon , any have a link or info on this?
From what I remember this may fulfill  the part of Hawaiian law; a weapon cannot be "readily replenishable" with ammo.

If I get this device, can I still use my 30 round PMAGS since they'll be "locked" in?

Will I still have to block my mags down to 10 rounds regardless?

Any advice regarding pistol mags and blocking those down to 10 round capacity?

I dont want to do anything permanent since I'll only be there for 3 years and returning to the mainland. I am looking forward to the assignment, but not to screwing with my weapons...

Appreciate any advice on owning weapons in Hawaii.!!

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:01:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe the device you are referring to is called the "Raddlok" , not sure about the spelling.

Not from HI, so I can't answer as to the specifics of the law, I ssupect you should ask in the Hawaii hometown forum, they are far more likely to know the answer.

Sven

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:16:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I was stationed in HI, that's where I bought my first hand gun.  Nothing over 10 rounds, not required to be pinned like Cali, and there's only 1 real range at Coco Head.  There are a few small ranges in Honolulu.  All guns need to be brought to HPD and registered there.  If you plan on buying more expect similar BS waiting periods and hoops to jump through like California.   I would say just pick up a couple 10 rd mags, keep your larger mags at home.  No CCW either.

Hawaii gun stuff
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:46:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Yup, it's pretty weak.   As with anywhere endowed with too much natural beauty, draws too many idiots.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 12:43:54 PM EDT
[#5]
That right there is an accute and profound observation, TehLlama42.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#6]
You can have 30 round mags, pretty sure there are no restrictions on rifles. Except they all have to be registered with in 72 hours of entering the state.  The 10 round limit is only for handguns and no assault pistols.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:44:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Read here for the Hawaii rules.  Including required registration.  

HPD
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:51:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I am from Hawai'i and am familiar with the law.  Pistol mags that hold more than 10rds in Hawai'i are illegal.  Technically an AR mag over 10rd is illegal, as it can fit into an AR pistol which is also illegal.  On the up side, it is a law that really doesn't seem to be enforced and really gets over looked.  But if you are wanting to be 100% in compliance, it isn't legal.  

I have a cousin who is a HPD officer that I have spoken to about the issue to as I plan on moving back home soon.  He went to the academy with the firearms division guys, so he knows the inner workings.  He basically stated that nobody really enforces it or even really has much knowledge about it.  He also mentioned that it really is an add-on style charge.  So if you do something else wrong, they will charge you with that as well.  The majority of HPD guys are not gun guys, even in the firearms registration department.    

Consider getting a Gen 4 stock and some of the MSAR mags.  You can get definitely trade your stock for a 4th Gen stock and some mags.  That way you can have your mags and be 100% legal.  I specifically bought a 4th gen gun with the idea that I will be headed to Hawai'i in the near future.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:20:36 PM EDT
[#9]
If you'd like to go ^ route PM me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:17:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am from Hawai'i and am familiar with the law.  Pistol mags that hold more than 10rds in Hawai'i are illegal.  Technically an AR mag over 10rd is illegal, as it can fit into an AR pistol which is also illegal.  On the up side, it is a law that really doesn't seem to be enforced and really gets over looked.  But if you are wanting to be 100% in compliance, it isn't legal.  

I have a cousin who is a HPD officer that I have spoken to about the issue to as I plan on moving back home soon.  He went to the academy with the firearms division guys, so he knows the inner workings.  He basically stated that nobody really enforces it or even really has much knowledge about it.  He also mentioned that it really is an add-on style charge.  So if you do something else wrong, they will charge you with that as well.  The majority of HPD guys are not gun guys, even in the firearms registration department.    

Consider getting a Gen 4 stock and some of the MSAR mags.  You can get definitely trade your stock for a 4th Gen stock and some mags.  That way you can have your mags and be 100% legal.  I specifically bought a 4th gen gun with the idea that I will be headed to Hawai'i in the near future.

I did alot of searching and your response was the best I've seen. Noone seem to agree what is illegal, what isnt, what to do, and hell of alot of debate.

At this point I'll probably pick a few of these up; 10 RD PMAG
I'll keep the 30 rounders at home locked up and probably have the HPD "hold" my pistol 15 rounders until the end of my tour. (the pistol mags seem to be the sore spot and read about a few people getting busted at the ranges).
Thanks for all the replies !!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:13:14 PM EDT
[#11]
If your military why not just keep your standard capacity mags on base?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:22:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't worry pmags are sold here also ak mags. I have drums also don't use them but good to have.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top