Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2002 9:22:49 PM EDT
Denver area, Arapaho co. specifically.  Also, anyone know of any good gun ranges, and or gunstores

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 2:29:14 AM EDT
[#1]
check www.packing.org
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been told it's next to impossible to get ccw in arapahoe county..I'd like to know the real story myself..

as far as local gun stores..(aurora)

Firing-Line  (w/ indoor pistol range)

Daves Guns

I don't frequent either of them, pricing is one major factor.  I can almost always get a better deal on ammo and accessories on-line or thru a dealer in SGN.  That, or check out the GunShows when they are in Aurora or at the Denver Merchandise Mart (usually this is the larger one of the two.)

here is a link to the Colorado shows:

www.cssa.org/events_gunshows.html

Link Posted: 1/7/2002 1:39:06 PM EDT
[#3]
The best bet for purchasing new firearms is Sportsmans Warehouse in Loveland by the outlet mall off I-25.  Its impossible to get a CCW in Denver, in fact if you carry a loaded gun anywhere in your vehicle in Denver its an automatic fellony.  Your gun has to be in a seperate container than your ammo.  It is possible to get one in FT Collins though.  I would look into that.  I believe its good for the whole state.  But I still dont think you can carry in Denver.  CO is getting to be like CA.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is the Colorado page from Packing.org.  some good info, looks like Larimer County might be worth checking into..

www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/colorado
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Denver is probably the worst place in the state.
Just south of you, in El Paso Co., is a good place to be. To get it, you must be a resident of El Paso county, be over age 25, and clean record. Of course, since CO does not have a state law on CCW permits, it is basically up to the chief LEO as to what the policy will be. Unfortunatly Sheriff Anderson is at his term limits and a new Sheriff will be coming into office. However, Sheriff Anderson's CCW program has been so successful, I believe it would be highly difficult for the new guy to get rid of it. LOL

Hack
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:17:16 PM EDT
[#6]
as far as Gun shops go I always do and will continue to go to Tom and Joes I haven't seen any better prices yet. And the guy who runs it is extremely helpful and full of knowledge.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 3:08:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Sparky, tell us more about this place (Tom & Joes)... where is it?
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:12:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Anybody familiar with Chaffee County CCW?  Anybody live in that area?
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Tom and Joes is at 32nd and Youngsfield right off I-70 next to Wells Fargo bank. Its a small shop in that shopping center.

12627 W.32nd ave.
Wheat Ridge, Co
303-231-0998

Bought my stainless steel full size Kimber for $650 bought a couple other firearms from him.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:25:52 AM EDT
[#10]
where in arapahoe county you at? I am in Littleton.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:42:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I second Tom & Joe's. I know guys who come from all over the state to get their guns there. Not a lot of stock, but will order anything in and the best prices around.

My wife just bought me a nice 629 from him for my Christmas present.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:44:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
mall off I-25.  Its impossible to get a CCW in Denver, in fact if you carry a loaded gun anywhere in your vehicle in Denver its an automatic fellony.  Your gun has to be in a seperate container than your ammo.  can carry in Denver.  CO is getting to be like CA.

Is that true for long guns too ????????
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 3:19:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Anybody familiar with Chaffee County CCW?  Anybody live in that area?

Torf:

I'm a bit north of there.  To the best of my knowledge, the current sheriff will not issue.  I'll contact some friends who live in the banana belt and let you know.  

BTW, the Colorado Division of Wildlife recently opened a decent 300yd public range adjacent to the landfill.  Another good place is www.scharch.com (hard to beat LC brass).  Finally, there are lots of shooters in the area, including a lady gunshop owner who typically packs a .357.....

SRM
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I was wrong.  The current sheriff of Chaffee County does allow concealed carry.  Not sure about the candidates position tho.

SRM
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:54:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tom and Joes is at 32nd and Youngsfield right off I-70 next to Wells Fargo bank. Its a small shop in that shopping center.

12627 W.32nd ave.
Wheat Ridge, Co
303-231-0998

Bought my stainless steel full size Kimber for $650 bought a couple other firearms from him.

Sparky,

Didn't someone (SS109? maybe) in a different thread say Tom & Joe's was next to Applebee's?

I can FIND Applebee's. heehee
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:15:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

12627 W.32nd ave.
Wheat Ridge, Co
303-231-0998

Sparky,

Didn't someone (SS109? maybe) in a different thread say Tom & Joe's was next to Applebee's?

I can FIND Applebee's. heehee

Tom and Joes is across from the Wells Fargo bank wich is right next to AppleJacks the big liqour store.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:29:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for all the tips guys, I assumed that moving further west would bring a corresponding level of freedom....I know, never assume.

Looks like alot of liberal californians have transplanted to the denver area.

Guess I need to buy a house in Jefferson, or Douglas co.

According to the info on packing.org, individual cities cannot set their own laws, 'course I wouldent want to be the test case either.

Sparky, I'm near Centennial Airport, looks like we a nieghbors!

Thanks again for the input, as always, it's an invaluable resource.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:45:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the tips guys, I assumed that moving further west would bring a corresponding level of freedom....I know, never assume.

Looks like alot of liberal californians have transplanted to the denver area.

Guess I need to buy a house in Jefferson, or Douglas co.

According to the info on packing.org, individual cities cannot set their own laws, 'course I wouldent want to be the test case either.

Sparky, I'm near Centennial Airport, looks like we a nieghbors!

Thanks again for the input, as always, it's an invaluable resource.

Individual cities cannot set their own laws

The city of Denver thinks they can. Stay away from Denver.
Jefferson or Douglas counties OK
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 3:23:00 PM EDT
[#19]
So if you live in Aurora/Arapahoe county forget CCW and Class 3?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Another plug for Tom & Joe's here.

My guess is a bunch of us probably know each other from Tom & Joe's -- but don't know who we are on this site behind these handles!
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#21]
SRM - Where's the landfill?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
SRM - Where's the landfill?

The landfill is just north of Salida, between Buena Vista and Salida.  Two pistol ranges and a rifle range to 330 yards.  Porta potties and a few benches.

See ya on the line....SRM
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#23]
SRM - thanks, never knew it was there even though I go past there often
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#24]
If the weather cooperates, I might try to shoot there Friday.  Send an e-mail the next time your in the area.

SRM
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 9:20:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll check out that Tom and Joe's, Marty

I'll be careful of Denver, Sparky.  Like I said, I can't afford to be a test case.

But I do very much admire those Liberterians who want to be.  Anybody know how that is progressing?

Link Posted: 1/11/2002 11:48:27 PM EDT
[#26]
While your at it, visit Green Mountain Guns, located @ Jewell & Kipling behind Safeway. I have personally bought from there. Also, I know a dealer that does $20 transfers/orders. Email me if you want more information.
As for CCW, its pretty hopeless in Metro Denver.
However, the legislature did change the rules regarding a firearm in a vehicle and how municipalities cannot supercede state regulations......take a look

18-12-105.6 - Limitation on local ordinances regarding firearms in private vehicles.    

(1) The general assembly hereby finds that:
  (a) A person carrying a weapon in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance for lawful protection of such person's or another's person or property, as permitted in sections 18-12-105 (2) (b) and 18-12-105.5 (3) (c), may tend to travel in or through different county, city and county, and municipal jurisdictions en route to the person's destination;

(b) Inconsistent laws exist in local jurisdictions with regard to the circumstances under which weapons may be carried in automobiles and other private means of conveyance;

(c) This inconsistency creates a confusing patchwork of laws that unfairly subjects a person who lawfully travels with a weapon in or through one jurisdiction to criminal penalties because he or she travels into or through another jurisdiction;

(d) This inconsistency places citizens in the position of not knowing when they may be violating local laws while traveling in, through, or between different jurisdictions, and therefore being unable to avoid committing a crime.

(2) (a) Based on the findings specified in subsection (1) of this section, the general assembly concludes that the carrying of weapons in private automobiles or other private means of conveyance for lawful protection of a person's or another's person or property while traveling into or through a municipal, county, or city and county jurisdiction, regardless of the number of times the person stops in a jurisdiction, is a matter of statewide concern and is not an offense.

(b) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no municipality, county, or city and county shall have the authority to enact or enforce any ordinance or resolution that would restrict a person's ability to travel with a weapon in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance for lawful protection of a person's or another's person or property while traveling into or through a municipal, county, or city and county jurisdiction, regardless of the number of times the person stops in a jurisdiction.                Gunhound

Link Posted: 1/14/2002 5:25:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the info and tips SRM.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 1:21:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been to Green Mnt Guns, they are ok. lots of stuff crammed in there..  However, they had a gunsmith about a year ago who couldn't do a very good job.  Isolated incident?  Was very sad to see this guys "work" ( he may be gone now, I think the guy went back to active duty or something)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top