Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2013 6:03:31 PM EST
I am going to scope the 9mm Luger Spanish Destroyer I built and was wondering if anyone can point me at a rail that they know will fit the shape of the receiver? Before the purist burn me at the stake let me expand and say C&R and Collectability went out the window along time ago on this one so there's nothing to lose. I re chambered it to 9mm Luger, threaded the barrel, raised the dents & refinished the stock and the steel. I am hoping some one can point me in the right direction and I will just order a rail that fits the contours of the receiver. I will drill and tap as needed, cut and machine the rail if need be.

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:43:12 AM EST
No one?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:51:19 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/23/2013 9:59:03 AM EST by 1srelluc]
You might want to try a forum geared more toward home gunsmithing like the Workshop sub-forum on Gunboards.

That said looking at my Destroyer I'd go with a section of weaver rail milled and secured to the front sight base and the front of the receiver. I would then install a 3 MOA red-dot on it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:58:15 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/23/2013 9:59:10 AM EST by backbencher]
No hope whatsoever, but yay! How's it feed?

ETA: Would a generic Mauser mount fit? Wasn't it built off a Mauser action or summat?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:52:02 PM EST
Its based on a mauser but its kind of a mini mauser. best bet is to D&T the receiver and set it up with some universal mounts.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:31:34 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By backbencher:
No hope whatsoever, but yay! How's it feed?

ETA: Would a generic Mauser mount fit? Wasn't it built off a Mauser action or summat?
View Quote

As far as feeding goes, if you run the bolt fast and hard most of the time the gun will feed perfectly, think mosin nagant. Normal FMJs feed better than TC shaped bullets. Factory 115gr ammo feeds like a dream. If you run the bolt to slowly you might have issues, the 1st & 2nd rounds out of the 6 are the worst, if you only load the mag with 4 rounds the gun is way more forgiving. I have not yet modded any 1911 9mm mags to replace the factory gun. There is a slight taper cut at the rear of the chamber to help feed the round correctly, I copied a Sten SMG barrels tapper only smaller and that seems to have helped a lot.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 1:38:32 AM EST
I may have missed it but unless you have addressed the angle of ejection issue a traditionally mounted scope will not work very well as the angle of ejection on a Destroyer is more straight up rather than to the side like most Mauser rifles. That is why I suggested a more forward mount with either a red-dot or a LER scope.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:09:46 PM EST
I will likely mill a "slot" for the brass to eject threw.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:13:20 AM EST
Originally Posted By MrM4:
View Quote

I don't think a slot will help you much. The brass will still ding your scope.

LOL....The "Ghost of Bubba" brushed by me when I had the fleeting notion of installing a Martini Cadet adjustable rear sight/base I found yesterday just forward of the receiver on my Destroyer......It's a perfect fit on the Destroyer barrel and would be hands and feet better than the POS rear sight that is on it. Thank goodness the notion passed quickly.

See the trouble you cause OP.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:32:15 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:33:57 AM EST
Originally Posted By 1srelluc:

LOL....The "Ghost of Bubba" brushed by me when I had the fleeting notion of installing a Martini Cadet adjustable rear sight/base I found yesterday just forward of the receiver on my Destroyer......It's a perfect fit on the Destroyer barrel and would be hands and feet better than the POS rear sight that is on it. Thank goodness the notion passed quickly.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1srelluc:
Originally Posted By MrM4:

Your ejector must work better than mine, I find that sometimes every once in a long while the casing doesn't exit the gun the rest of the time it just rolls out over the edge, defiantly not enough force in this gun to "throw" the brass. I will have to pull my ejector and study it to see if it is deformed in some way.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:40:04 AM EST
Originally Posted By raf:
XS Scout mount, low.mounted tube-type red dot. Rig up a decent rear sight that will work with the existing front sight. No need for anything fancy, since it will have limited range due to the ctg. Leupold QRW rings, as low as physically possible.
View Quote

There are no Iron sights on this gun, I pulled them prior to refinishing. Because they are attached via a loop around the barrel there is no evidence they were once there. If a person cut the dove tail for the XS mount it would be cool. However I have already machined a scout mount that used the bottom of the rear sight as a base, I didn't care for the scout look and feel. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Top Top