Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
7/8/2020 3:01:36 PM
Posted: 12/4/2013 5:12:08 PM EDT
I have an 870 slug gun w/o a cantilever mount. What is the most solid/accurate way to mount a scope? Anyone have experience with the Mesa side saddle rail?
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 5:40:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/4/2013 5:41:24 PM EDT by KILLERB6]
Considering it's a shotgun, the Mesa Tactical mount fine.  I have an EOTech on mine.

Brownell's or Midway just had them on sale w/6-shell carrier for ½ or so off.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 6:11:25 PM EDT
most solid? get the receiver drilled and tapped for a picatinny rail on top.

not sure how the mesa rails are, but mesa does make good stuff
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 7:44:11 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By scgebo:
most solid? get the receiver drilled and tapped for a picatinny rail on top.

not sure how the mesa rails are, but mesa does make good stuff
View Quote

Drilling/tapping with a pic rail on the receiver would be the most "accurate" way to do it, but the Mesa with a red dot is about as good as the shot gun can do anyway.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 3:01:13 AM EDT
Originally Posted By mike89:
I have an 870 slug gun w/o a cantilever mount. What is the most solid/accurate way to mount a scope? Anyone have experience with the Mesa side saddle rail?
View Quote

The Mesa  side saddle would be fine, and this will be the cheapest.
Replacing the barrel with a cantilever one would be my choice. Some of the receiver saddles can be a pain keeping the hardware tight, without effecting function and reliability.
Lastly, drilling and taping the receiver for a rail would be the best, and most expensive option. Select a competent GunSmith to do this, if you are not able to do it yourself. A blotched job will produce a loose, uneven rail install or ruin a receiver.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:21:43 AM EDT
Since the 870 barrel can move around (independently of a receiver mounted optic) the cantilever barrel is generally better for holding zero, but in most cases an optic on the receiver is “good enough”. I’d vote for a scope base on a drilled and tapped receiver.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:22:31 AM EDT
Remington should take a hint from Mossberg, and Drill & Tap all their shotgun' Receiver's at the factory.
Something so easy to do during the manufacturing process, would make soo many old (repeat) & new customer's happy !!!
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:06:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 1NAVYCHIEF-RET:
Remington should take a hint from Mossberg, and Drill & Tap all their shotgun' Receiver's at the factory.
Something so easy to do during the manufacturing process, would make soo many old (repeat) & new customer's happy !!!
View Quote

Very true.........
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 10:28:56 PM EDT
Primary Arms micro dot on the Mesa tactical side saddle rail.

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:31:51 AM EDT
drill and tap receiver then have your barrel pinned
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:07:21 PM EDT
hope i don't derail the thread here, but this is related.  somebody mentioned that because the barrel isn't permanently affixed to the receiver it would be more accurate to mount to a cantilever railed barrel.  every time i see a scope on a cantilever barrel though i'm able to move the cantilever up or down at least a 16th of an inch with minimal effort.  i feel like one small bump would move it more than the barrel will ever move when attached to the receiever.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:41:15 PM EDT
If you take it to a certified smith they should have no issue drilling and taping. The only issue Is if they do it right is you have to take off your scope mount to take off the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:34:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Platypus12:
If you take it to a certified smith they should have no issue drilling and taping. The only issue Is if they do it right is you have to take off your scope mount to take off the barrel.
View Quote

Why do you say that? There are lots of drilled/tapped shotgun receivers out there. I've yet to see one that required taking off the base to remove a barrel.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:37:45 AM EDT
View Quote

Huh......?  It's not like you are going to drill and tap the barrel.
What is your definition of "certified smith"........are you referring to a Bob, John or Bill Smith?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:18:02 AM EDT
Originally Posted By faawrenchbndr:

What is your definition of "certified smith"........are you referring to a Bob, John or Bill Smith?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By faawrenchbndr:

my mistake i thought this was a post i was looking at for the 1100. 870 you can do just not over the barrel. this is why you shouldnt have multi tabs open and trying to respond. also a certified smith is someone who is accepted in the guild, who has gone to school for gun smithing, or can show competent craftsmanship in doing what you are asking. drilling and taping while it seems easy if you dont know what you are doing can screw up a firearm.
Top Top