Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2003 6:41:18 AM EDT
Has anyone seen or used the Mossberg Muzzleloader barrel?  I am looking at getting one for the up coming season.  Are they easy to prime and how is it done?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you familiar with muzzloading at all?
It appears that the primer (209?) is simply loaded in through the ejection port of the shotgun. Easy enough with a capper, could probably do it with your fingers if you had too.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 8:22:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I've done a little muzzleloading but was not able to see this action in person and the pics on the website didn't really show it to clearly.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 12:57:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I know, the picture sucked.
What I ASSume from my experience is that there is a breach plug with a primer pocket located at the base of the barrel, in line with the stock firing pin. ASSuming it uses 209 ignition, it's just a matter of plugging the primer in and closing the bolt.
I asked about you experience because I wanted to know how much I should cover.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 3:07:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks.  I am hoping that they will have one at the fun show this weekend.  My main concern I guess is whether or not I will need a priming tool to put the primer into the breech within the action.  More tools and more gadgets.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 8:35:37 AM EDT
[#5]
If you do need one, they are typically supplied.
If it is indeed a 209 primer, the capper/decapper for that is about the simplest one made and typically only costs a few dollars.
The opening on the 12 gauge is large enough that in a pinch you could prime it with your fingers.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks.  Waiting for the fun show to find out.  Not one shop around here has one in stock.  Just got back from Dawson's in Woodbridge and nothing.  Keeping the fingers crossed for the show.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Any idea what the retail is?
It may be cheaper to buy a muzzloader. As simple as they are, they can be had cheap. As nice as they can be made, they can be had expensive too. All depending on your taste.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 3:08:20 AM EDT
[#8]
The barrel is only $146. The prices came from the Mossberg site and from two gun shops here that could order them for me, but neither had one in stock.  

I really want the Thompson Encore but alas the cash flow isn't want it needs to be for that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 11:30:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Have you seen this topic?
Muzzleloaders
For 149 I'd spring for an inexpensive hawken. It'll get you started while you save up for the encore.
Beside, muzzleloaders are like AR-15s, you'll end up with more than one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top